Deployable armory

mezimorsmezimors Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35865Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Keeping the front lines as the front lines</div>** A continuation from the hijacked and angry thread about commanding and deployable armories.

Well, I don't know much, but I do know a bit about commanding. I also know how useful an armory is as a marine, and how I cannot always be at the front lines because I have other marines to tend to. I actually think that deploying a mac into a self-powered mini armory that marines can use for ammo and health (not weld) would be a great tool.

Yes, I hear your objections : a commander needs to pay attention to his troops and medpack them! And this does not stop the commander from doing that in the heat of battle! What it does prevent though is having troop traverse a few rooms just to get more ammo or a health refill when the commander has a large front battle and low res. If a marine is able to retreat safely to the back lines, he should be able to get up to speed for battle again without the commander having to waste res on refilling a marine not in immanent danger.

As a comm I cannot always be right on the front lines, especially if I am tracking with a ninja or have two fronts open at once. However, If there is an impromptu long term front that I cannot yet get an armory to and built, I should be able to quickly put up a temporary armory for my marines to access. Both to reward my ability to recognize where a safe place for them to refill would be, and for their ability to pull back to it before they are killed. This would not hurt the alien team as, really, if a marine makes it out of the fray alive, then he should get back up to full speed asap. Especially if it's just him ammunition that needs reloading.

This would not result in commanders abandoning their troops and never med or ammo-ing them, as when they are on the move I would of course do that, and for those in combat I would of course do that. It would however prevent commanders from having to waste time restoring both the people on the front lines, and those that have made it back to the trenches (if you will allow the analogy).

Thoughts? Keep it civil eh? And rational ffs.

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    That would not really make much sense to have a MAC to the same as an armory. Just drop an armory?
    Also, I don't think armories should give armor back, it makes the armories a bit too powerful. Marines would be able to get health from it and then weld each other.
    I also think it would make more sense to make MACs able to repair marines armor.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've always liked the idea of a 'mini-armory' that would only give health and armor (no weapons purchases), but cost like 2-3 TRes and have like 1/3 the health of a normal armory (and 1/3 the build time). I feel marines need to be able to get up small, forward bases much more quickly and cheaply and the current structures (armories, phase gates, sentries) make such bases cost-prohibitive.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Airborne Supply drops!
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    This idea sounds quite similar to the gorge “mini-craig.”
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I honestly am not sure how this idea will work, I remember the original thread, and just didn't see a proposed game model that felt 'right' to me.

The best idea as I recall was the ammo 'mule', that I think would be made at a robotics factory, and would be commander controlled and move with the rines, it has limited resupplies that can run out, and cannot dole out med packs, but will provide a very slow (game play suiting) heal for players. You replenish it's ammo the same as you replenish a turret's. It should be low armor (not a tank), movement speed is slower then a rine, but not by much (can't be annoyingly slow), and it should have a very noisy clunky walking sound. Mechanical whizzing and the like (so aliens are aware of it).

My two cents on a great idea. Here's a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ&feature=related" target="_blank">video</a> that illustrates the idea nicely.
  • mezimorsmezimors Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35865Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885780:date=Nov 19 2011, 09:46 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Nov 19 2011, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I honestly am not sure how this idea will work, I remember the original thread, and just didn't see a proposed game model that felt 'right' to me.

The best idea as I recall was the ammo 'mule', that I think would be made at a robotics factory, and would be commander controlled and move with the rines, it has limited resupplies that can run out, and cannot dole out med packs, but will provide a very slow (game play suiting) heal for players. You replenish it's ammo the same as you replenish a turret's. It should be low armor (not a tank), movement speed is slower then a rine, but not by much (can't be annoyingly slow), and it should have a very noisy clunky walking sound. Mechanical whizzing and the like (so aliens are aware of it).

My two cents on a great idea. Here's a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ&feature=related" target="_blank">video</a> that illustrates the idea nicely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much just this. Any solution that allows for a temp forward base that doesnt require the permanent placing of an armory at some arbitrary point on the map.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885752:date=Nov 19 2011, 03:50 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 19 2011, 03:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Airborne Supply drops!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +99.99977