Soft never survives.

measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Hive Evolution.</div>
The Hive as-in build 187 is like an exposed heart. It makes no sense for it to be in a combat scenario.. If in reality, the Alien team is going to be balanced I would imagine that it would come from the Hive having some extra exestential defence mechanism;
eg.
-Increased res income for player when closer to hive.
-Babblers (Available from Crag?)
-Hive splatter. And if you get hit by the splatter from shooting it it causes explosive damage (to marine).

Comments

• BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    The alien comm doesn't have much to do other than build.
    IMO the alien comm should pre-occupy himself with setting up defences instead of being left to do nothing other than build one of every tech structure/harvesters/hives.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited November 2011
    Not sure if you noticed, but the aliens have a theme going on when it comes to building.
    The hive, gorge and cysts got soft glowing parts, which I assume has something to do with the function they do. Build new bacteria.

The hive can make cysts and drifters (which can build, but suicide to do so). The cysts create infestation on the surrounding surfaces. And the gorges can just like the hive create cysts and buildings (they skip the drifter step, but its because they already are mobile).

So I would say that through evolution, its not very likely for those units to get more armor, if it in turn limits their capabilities to do what they are designed for. Simply being bacteria makes them resilient enough (the hives mostly just absorbs bullets, it can take a bigger beating than any armored alien), and enemies are not supposed to get that far, or if so, get removed quickly.
    Sometimes, the best defense is a strong offense.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    Still, I think it's very user un-friendly for building hives to be so easily exploited. If, atleast, marines attacking a hive that is building would be kept to a distance due to a Hive spore is a good- game balancer IMO.
    Considering players are more often than not going to choose the marine side, I think eliminating (a few) of the cheap shots in their repertoire is appropriate!
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    I don't know about marines being more popular, when NS1 had just come out I recall aliens being by far the more popular choice. Probably due to acid rocket.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    That's kind of the point of a Hive. It's fragile when growing, but gives you new tech, which is pretty strong.
    No need for this, marines already have a tough time taking down the hives. If aliens doesn't defend it properly, it deserves to die.
  • GrizzyGrizzy Join Date: 2011-10-14 Member: 127323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885130:date=Nov 16 2011, 08:43 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Nov 16 2011, 08:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Hive as-in build 187 is like an exposed heart. It makes no sense for it to be in a combat scenario.. If in reality, the Alien team is going to be balanced I would imagine that it would come from the Hive having some extra exestential defence mechanism;
    eg.
    -Increased res income for player when closer to hive.
    -Babblers (Available from Crag?)
    -Hive splatter. And if you get hit by the splatter from shooting it it causes explosive damage (to marine).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    Or we could have a marine who gets too close to a hive get devoured by it
    :-P

On a more serious note:

The fact that the hive was vulnerable was never much of a problem in NS1 so it really should not be much of an issue in NS2.

The only time a hive is more vulnerable than it needs to be if it is built in a location like cross-roads or heliport. The only way to fix this is to change the map or give the hive some kind of carapace upgrade.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    It was never an issue in NS1 because we had PROPER TOWERS THAT <u>WORKED</u>.

That is all.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Seems like i must have misunderstood the threads topic. I thought it was about the <i>visual </i>evolution of aliens, with op complaining that the builders and thinkers does not seem to get battle armor, and instead got more potent in doing what they are designed to do..
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1885439:date=Nov 18 2011, 09:11 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Nov 18 2011, 09:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was never an issue in NS1 because we had PROPER TOWERS THAT <u>WORKED</u>.

That is all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hydras are more powerful than OCs from NS1, imo.
    They are harder to hit, due to the model, and can be placed on the walls and cieling.
    Hydras do what they should do, keep marines without GLs or ARCs away.