Smoke grenade

Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
edited November 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">tactical usage</div>How about having some smoke grenades for marines?

Not a simple smoke grenade, but very SF-like special smoke.

The smokes blockes alien's sight almost completely. Even at Alien Vision.
But marines can see enemies through smokes as blue hologramic outline(silhouette, may similar to Left 4 Dead or just like Motion Tracker of previous Natural Selection mod.), so they can damage them or track them.
This would be very scientific stuff and also tactical when ambushing.

Comments

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    It's a good parallel to the way lerk spores / alien vision works. Not sure if it is necessary though. Aliens are more about deception than marines.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    While cool as an idea, i really don't think this is a necessary addition to the marine arsenal. It doesn't sit well with me the idea of marines winning confrontations because they blind the aliens and then proceed to dish out massive damage with shotguns/ grenade launchers. It just seems that there isn't any real way for aliens to avoid or counter this without avoiding any confrontation all together. It should be the other way around, with aliens depending on deception to enhance their ambush tactics, its just the way that its always been in regards to hostile aliens in science fiction.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    This would really only limit the capabilities of marines themselves, aliens are mostly melee attackers.
    A smoke would just destroy your own LOS.
  • ForssForss Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130180Members
    Wouldn't it fit better with some kind of flashbang? It would differentiate more from the lerk spores and wouldn't require an as elaborate explanation for how it works.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885330:date=Nov 17 2011, 08:56 AM:name=Forss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Forss @ Nov 17 2011, 08:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wouldn't it fit better with some kind of flashbang? It would differentiate more from the lerk spores and wouldn't require an as elaborate explanation for how it works.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be the same as drifter flares though.
  • nilsnils Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106039Members
    i think this sounds great., but smoke ist the wrong thing.
    Perhaps the grens produce heat, like 37° to 45°C, so the
    alien vision ist blocked and they are forced to switch.
    This will sometimes give a suprising advantage for the marines.
    espacially in dark rooms ;).
  • mezimorsmezimors Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35865Members
    edited November 2011
    edit: post irrelevant. Not sure how to delete post. Here it is.
  • inFamous DesigninFamous Design Join Date: 2011-10-16 Member: 127667Members
    I think just a normal smoke grenade would be cool. But just make it different from other games that when you throw it after "x" seconds it starts to let out smoke and doesn't just let it out after it stops moving. This way it lets out more of a trail of smoke with density of smoke depending on how fast it is moving or if it is in the same spot. This would add more realism and it would effect both sides evenly except for the fact that marines have the aid of placement.

I highly doubt this will be added though because UWE hasn't added anything like this in NS1 and it doesn't seem very futuristic. Also most rooms in NS2 aren't hallways but rather big open rooms so it would be kind of pointless to just have a ball of smoke in a huge open room. Would end up really just helping out Aliens more than marines so marines would never use it. Unless you use something like my idea, but still it would be almost useless.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1885470:date=Nov 18 2011, 03:25 PM:name=nils)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nils @ Nov 18 2011, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think this sounds great., but smoke ist the wrong thing.
    Perhaps the grens produce heat, like 37° to 45°C, so the
    alien vision ist blocked and they are forced to switch.
    This will sometimes give a suprising advantage for the marines.
    espacially in dark rooms ;).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Alien vision isn't heat based, it's sonar based
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885286:date=Nov 16 2011, 09:36 PM:name=Classic319)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Classic319 @ Nov 16 2011, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about having some smoke grenades for marines?

Not a simple smoke grenade, but very SF-like special smoke.

The smokes blockes alien's sight almost completely. Even at Alien Vision.
    But marines can see enemies through smokes as blue hologramic outline(silhouette, may similar to Left 4 Dead or just like Motion Tracker of previous Natural Selection mod.), so they can damage them or track them.
    This would be very scientific stuff and also tactical when ambushing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i like it but how do you suppose you'll work out the logistics on that. exactly.