C is for GTFO

measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">NS2 playability upgrade</div>
What with having a button for mini map?
It was nonsense in NS1 and it's a shame if it continues into NS2.
It should be in a locked position. For eg. where the red writing reads: 'BUILD 18X'

In NS1 somebody made a mod for the minimaps giving them transparancy.

Comments

• LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited September 2011
    It was nonsense in NS1? Nonsense. The maps in NS1 were sometimes huge; and noobs would get lost easily. Therefore the mini-map was a key resource in fighting for survival. The mini-map was (is) also very helpful in identifying situations across the map. Such as where hives are located; where teammates are....etc.

Erm, though I'm not sure if your hating on the mini-map all together; or just having to press a button to see it. Having it displayed on the screen at all times (constantly) would be super annoying for me as I do not like a cluttered hud. I for one am grateful you have to press a key to see it, but that's just me.

There is a mod in NS2 for mini-map transparency; not sure who created it or where the files are located though. I just know they exist.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd rather have it toggeable between off, small minimap in one of the corners (like comm UI), and large minimap in the middle of the screen. The need for the minimap is highly situational, so it would be nice to be able to tailor it to what you needed at the moment.
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Im pretty sure currently the transparency of the minimap is based on the alpha channel of the targa file (correct me if im wrong) I know in later versions of summit, he cut out the large square, and made it so only usable parts of the map were opaque. If im correct about the alpha channel, that should mean that the map maker would just have to change his alpha channel so the mini map could be semi transparent. Though it would be handy if the player could adjust the level of opacity manually, which would require a mod.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    uh... I dunno what the dealio is, but I am 100% certain that there is a mod around that gives you exactly what the original poster wants (a minimap in the corner always visible with transparancy).

Someone else can post the name of it, but just be known, that it exists.

You guys don't watch ns2hd much do you?

youtube: naturalselection2hd

he either a) uses the mod, or b) talks about not having it currently installed and saying he should install it but is too lazy too due to reasons unknown but perfectly understandable and whatnot.

ok bye now.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited September 2011
    I would actually like a local minimap added in addition to the main minimap, which appears down to the right of the screen, and only shows the room I am and in, the room(s) adjacent.

I would also like this map oriented to the direction I am running in, favoring visibility in that direction.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1874687:date=Sep 14 2011, 01:55 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Sep 14 2011, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would actually like a local minimap added in addition to the main minimap, which appears down to the right of the screen, and only shows the room I am and in, the room(s) adjacent.

I would also like this map oriented to the direction I am running in, favoring visibility in that direction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, the local minimap should only show part of the map, with yourself as center.
    And +1 on the orientation of this local minimap. I would make it much easier to react to skulks(inside LOS) coming from behind.
    Although, I would like it to be in the upper left corner of the screen.
    This should only be a marine feature, just like it was in NS1. Aliens have HiveSight to do the same thing.

Also, on topic:
    The map button is not at all useless. You will need it to see the whole map. It wasn't "useless" in NS1 either.
    The only non-sense I see here is what you wrote in the topic :P
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited September 2011
    you can adjust transparency through lua or by decreasing the alpha value of the minimaps itself.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874486:date=Sep 12 2011, 11:53 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 12 2011, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather have it toggeable between off, small minimap in one of the corners (like comm UI), and large minimap in the middle of the screen. The need for the minimap is highly situational, so it would be nice to be able to tailor it to what you needed at the moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.
  • NemaususNemausus Join Date: 2011-08-18 Member: 117214Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874486:date=Sep 13 2011, 12:53 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 13 2011, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather have it toggeable between off, small minimap in one of the corners (like comm UI), and large minimap in the middle of the screen. The need for the minimap is highly situational, so it would be nice to be able to tailor it to what you needed at the moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would always support more toggle-able functions like this. Particularly on Marine side I have the mini-map open the entire time I am not in combat or likely to be in combat the next few seconds. I would definitely have it in a corner of my screen and would still often bring it up full screen for detail, but it would remove a lot of clutter as I wouldn't have to run around the map with it open.

(Open not so much so I can navigate around the map, but to backseat comm like a champ)
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    no because that would take up to much screen space.
  • NemaususNemausus Join Date: 2011-08-18 Member: 117214Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876755:date=Sep 25 2011, 12:45 AM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ Sep 25 2011, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no because that would take up to much screen space.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends how you play, as I said I have it open a significant % of playtime anyway.... the keyword was toggle-able: have three states which can be cycled through

1. Fullscreen map, no transparency
    2. Corner of screen mini-map like commanders, 50% transparency
    3. Off
  • ale'ale' Join Date: 2011-08-06 Member: 114689Members
    How about full screen mini map on secondary monitor? Would be cool!
  • tritoptritop Join Date: 2011-09-09 Member: 120632Members
    I like to see as much of the surrounding area as possible and a fixed minimap needs to much space. The developers just cleaned up some space on screen with the new weapon gfx thats the way to go.
  • 2sBlind2sBlind Join Date: 2011-11-08 Member: 131738Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876716:date=Sep 24 2011, 03:32 AM:name=Nemausus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nemausus @ Sep 24 2011, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would always support more toggle-able functions like this. Particularly on Marine side I have the mini-map open the entire time I am not in combat or likely to be in combat the next few seconds. I would definitely have it in a corner of my screen and would still often bring it up full screen for detail, but it would remove a lot of clutter as I wouldn't have to run around the map with it open.

(Open not so much so I can navigate around the map, but to backseat comm like a champ)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol +1

I always sprint to fc or vent with my map open.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    How about this:

1. Tap M to toggle the minimap.
    2. Hold M to show the full map.

If given the choice, I'll probably play with the minimap off, depending on how useful it is.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884706:date=Nov 12 2011, 03:06 AM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Nov 12 2011, 03:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about this:

1. Tap M to toggle the minimap.
    2. Hold M to show the full map.

If given the choice, I'll probably play with the minimap off, depending on how useful it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This, fixes all problems easily.