GL's

GertjanGertjan Join Date: 2011-08-30 Member: 119151Members
<div class="IPBDescription">A bit too strong or not ?</div>Hi

Just a quick short post about Grenade Launchers.

In my opinion GL's are a bit too strong. A +- skilled player can go solo and is an unstoppable machine (certainly when marines got the upgrades)
The marine can clear he's way through buildings and skulks because he has a grenade launcher + machine gun.

I think that the GL "should be" more like NS1, The GL clear he's way through buildings etc but at close range VS a skulk it's alot harder to survive.
A GL in a squad should be as a support to destroy buildings and other people in the squad cover the GL-user with SG or machine gun. (more teamplay)

I don't have any solutions to this "problem" but I would love to hear some opinions about it.

Comments

• SomeMiceDrinkingTeaSomeMiceDrinkingTea Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103818Members
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that a Marine with a GL is unstoppable and can solo. However i would agree that the GL is slightly too powerful. Ever since the grenade's "life expectancy" was shortened, it has (in my opinion) become too effective against alien players who don't have enough time to escape the combined radius of multiple grenades (grenade spam). I think that the grenade's AOE and damage should be less potent if it doesn't score a direct hit on a structure or alien, as well as increasing the grenade's life expectancy giving alien players a better chance of backing away. This or some other alterations might hopefully push it more into it's anti-structure roll, as opposed to an anti-structure and player role. They also need to make grenade suicide less effective, a rather cheap and annoying tactic that should punish the player for attempting it, but i digress.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will admit to it that GLs are rather strong, but when a marine team only has GLs it's pretty easy to kill them once you get close to them. So I find that it somewhat evens out a bit... Though I think it should take longer to upgrade to GLs.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The GL is a spammy weapon that makes the game miserably boring for both aliens and marines. I think making it an addon to the machinegun was the worst NS2 design decision so far and it either needs to be removed or the damage against players needs to be nerfed significantly. Unfortunately it's more or less required right now because of the ridiculously unreliable shotgun and the tiny hydra hitboxes which makes hydra farms unkillable unless you have a GL.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883961:date=Nov 6 2011, 12:00 PM:name=SomeMiceDrinkingTea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeMiceDrinkingTea @ Nov 6 2011, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883961"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't go so far as to say that a Marine with a GL is unstoppable and can solo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wait until the jetpack and heavy armor are released.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I too agree that weapon roles have lost definition.

Now everyone just buys GLs... what is the flamer even for? Both equally confused weapons in terms of gameplay and tactics.

Apart from the fact that GL is basically for hive killing.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Flamethrower? D=
    GL attachment to LMG? D=

Seperate the GL from the LMG. Vote, for proposition GL.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    Another thing about the GL is that it's very difficult to visually differentiate between it and the LMG. This is a hindrance for both the marines as its harder to know what weapons your buddies are carrying, and for the aliens who basically only know a GL is in action from the sound effects. The shotgun too appears quite similar, although I am new to the beta so maybe I'll get my eye in more as I play. Now that I think about it this was one of the very good things about the sideways magazine in the NS1 LMG, each of the weapons had a distinct profile, now they are quite samey, aside from the flamer (and presumably the minigun).
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883962:date=Nov 6 2011, 11:01 AM:name=Frhoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frhoe @ Nov 6 2011, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will admit to it that GLs are rather strong, but when a marine team only has GLs it's pretty easy to kill them once you get close to them. So I find that it somewhat evens out a bit... Though I think it should take longer to upgrade to GLs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GL is defiantly on the OP side.

Even up close the GL rocks skulks. Just shoot it at your feet. At full HP you live, skulks dies. If you get hit once or twice then yeah you die too. This is especially worth it if you are in a group of rines against a skulk rush. You self nade and take all the skulks with you.

IMO, separtate the GL from the LMG, if if must have an alternate mode, give it a melee or 1-2 shotgun shells for oh sh*t situations. Hell, at least make it an LMG variant with a smaller magazine. (25-30 instead of 50 shots)

Gl with LMG is simply giving a boost to the LMG, not a different weapon at all.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Could use some classic ns1 gl styled weapon. With awesome sounds like before.

The attachment made the survivability of the marine a bit too..great.

Naturally I'm always pestering for more game art.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    The problem with the GL is that it's supposed to be an anti structure/anti group support weapon.

But the devs keep trying to balance it as a primary weapon.

The rifle should be the primary weapon, with the GL as the secondary utility function.
  • fenrir1179fenrir1179 Join Date: 2011-11-05 Member: 131263Members
    classic was best .
    i want a machine gun that shoots out little gls :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    maybe if the nades will fly smoother through the air with the updated physx? this combined with a red nade proximity icon ala bf3 would be pretty snazzy. or some form of "hive sense" etc.. as i notice the lethality of these guys comes to be when they are everywhere, flying and blinking out of sight constantly in a dark room, randomly going off killing skulks who literally couldnt see them half the time. also why not make it more of the anti structure weapon, meaning lessen player damage with a falloff?
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    you want a machine gun that SHOOTS OUT GRENADE LAUNCHERS?!?!?! AAAAAAHH.

seriously though, I agree, the grenade launcher attacchement should be swapped to something much less.... perhaps an electric stun shock bomb... so it blasts out electricity that stuns or knocks back whatever it hits... this includes disabling harvestors, makes hydras shoot spikes everywhere, causes crag umbra, and pisses off the hive.

Whether or not you like that idea I just mentioned, here is my other comment.

Remove grenade launcher as an attachment, make it a separate weapon, even if it replaces the pistol, and not the assault rifle. This would make the game work better design wise.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    Im not sure its possible to solve this problem simply by nerfing the GL, Something needs to change about the way it works in practice. You could scrap it as an attachment as Ironsoul suggests (which would force teams to defend their gl's), or less drastically I would prefer making the nades explode on a timer rather than on contact with any alien structure/player. This should make the gl a skill rather than a spamming weapon, especially if you factor in the whips incoming grenade bashing ability.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    I'd rather have a "better" GL and being a GL only (no lmg/GL) than have a mediocre/good GL with the benefits of still having the lmg.

So, "better" more specialized weapons > a bland mixture of every weapon all-in-one and not having any real pros nor cons

Having more defined roles(/weapons) with stronger pros/cons tied to them would also encourage (and reward) more teamplay.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    +1 for making the GL its own weapon.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884031:date=Nov 7 2011, 03:32 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 7 2011, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884031"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->seriously though, I agree, the grenade launcher attacchement should be swapped to something much less.... perhaps an electric stun shock bomb... so it blasts out electricity that stuns or knocks back whatever it hits... this includes disabling harvestors, makes hydras shoot spikes everywhere, causes crag umbra, and pisses off the hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My understanding of ironsouls taser attachment.

Disable havesters...ok
    Crags use umbra ..... Well that's counter productive
    Hydras shoot more spikes ........ Why am I using this again?

Whose side are you on??
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    When marines: too weak
    When aliens: too strong
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1883966:date=Nov 6 2011, 10:08 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Nov 6 2011, 10:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think making it an addon to the machinegun was the worst NS2 design decision so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115018" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=115018</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1884070:date=Nov 7 2011, 04:49 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Nov 7 2011, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My understanding of ironsouls taser attachment.

Disable havesters...ok
    Crags use umbra ..... Well that's counter productive
    Hydras shoot more spikes ........ Why am I using this again?

Whose side are you on??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh ######, /me dives through the window.

seriously though. What I meant was it makes alien structures spaz out as well as defend them. As far as I understand, if the crag umbras way too early, it's useless for a little while, that coupled with the fact the tazer completely disables whatever it hits(aside from hive) for 10 seconds or so, it would stop the umbra recharge for 10 seconds. As for hydras, it makes them shoot more spikes, but it also shoots them in all directions. Meaning that if a stupid marine zapped a hydra while the entire squad was in the room... they would all get killed, but if he lobs this energy ball in from outside, he can zap the hydras away without doing too much friendly damage.

My idea is to try to add another option to the marines without making it spammy and overpowered.

But yeah, gotta be careful with those debuffs sometimes.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884101:date=Nov 7 2011, 01:01 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 7 2011, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884101"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...Meaning that if a stupid marine zapped a hydra while the entire squad was in the room... they would all get killed...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fun for all! Especially griefers. Nothing says "I hate you and wish you had never bought this game" like having an inexperienced teammate kill the entire team due to a lack of intimate game-understanding.
    damnit, I forgot that griefers existed.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884119:date=Nov 7 2011, 09:22 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 7 2011, 09:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->damnit, I forgot that griefers existed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank your lucky stars this is not Magicka.
    magic the gathering? i love that game. speaking of which, PONIES.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The standalone grenade launcher should return. It's far too easy for a team with all gl attatchments to defend themselves and assault the enemy base.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884126:date=Nov 7 2011, 01:30 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 7 2011, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884126"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->magic the gathering? i love that game. speaking of which, PONIES.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    OT: Gorge pony is best pony.