Lerk direct hit

subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
At the moment, when you are swooping through a squad of marines and hit one, you lose all your speed and fall to the ground. Since the lerk would want to fly at chest-hight most of the time (to make sure marines can't crouch under the gas) he will probably bump into a marine sooner or later.

Maybe the marine getting hit by the lerk should be dazed for a second or two (blurry screen) or even take some damage from the collision (like 1/2 of the damage of a skulk-bite).

Just make sure, hitting marines doesn't become the primary way to attack a marine, just give the lerk a little credit when making a flight error and hitting a marine.

Comments

• ShalfaShalfa Join Date: 2011-10-19 Member: 128261Members
    Hmm I actually heard they're making the lerk slower, dunno about this one though :/
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881975:date=Oct 25 2011, 03:42 PM:name=Shalfa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shalfa @ Oct 25 2011, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm I actually heard they're making the lerk slower, dunno about this one though :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was always under the impression that the alien team was the more agile and maneuverable. But with the phase gates, sprinting and jet packs; it is tough to figure out what the developers are planning.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    I think spores sinking, like others have suggested, would avoid this.
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    If you add this as a dmg mechanic, the the Lerk needs to take the same damage as the marine. In fact as its the Lerk this is moving faster, the Lerk should take more dmg than that of the marine.

-1 fail idea.
  • GrizzyGrizzy Join Date: 2011-10-14 Member: 127323Members
    No no I like this one... and then maybe give onos the ability to stomp over rines etc.
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1882103:date=Oct 26 2011, 03:59 AM:name=Grizzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grizzy @ Oct 26 2011, 03:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No no I like this one... and then maybe give onos the ability to stomp over rines etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Giving the Onos the ability to crush marines as well as gore them; that is an interesting thought.

*edit*
    Spelling mistake
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1882226:date=Oct 26 2011, 07:19 PM:name=Hybridclaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hybridclaw @ Oct 26 2011, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Giving the Onos the ability to crush marines as well as gorge them; that is an interesting thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and then he can poop out the rines in a pile of blood and bones that will serve as a grisly reminder to his comrades not to ###### with his buddies.
  • GrizzyGrizzy Join Date: 2011-10-14 Member: 127323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1882226:date=Oct 27 2011, 02:19 AM:name=Hybridclaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hybridclaw @ Oct 27 2011, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Giving the Onos the ability to crush marines as well as gore them; that is an interesting thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Go google sarcasm.
    edited October 2011
    It would actually work out pretty well.

Crushing a marine would have a similar role to the secondary stab attack of the Fade. The Onos would have to stand on its hind legs first so there would be a short delay before attacking.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1881967:date=Oct 25 2011, 01:12 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Oct 25 2011, 01:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the moment, when you are swooping through a squad of marines and hit one, you lose all your speed and fall to the ground. Since the lerk would want to fly at chest-hight most of the time (to make sure marines can't crouch under the gas) he will probably bump into a marine sooner or later.

Maybe the marine getting hit by the lerk should be dazed for a second or two (blurry screen) or even take some damage from the collision (like 1/2 of the damage of a skulk-bite).

Just make sure, hitting marines doesn't become the primary way to attack a marine, just give the lerk a little credit when making a flight error and hitting a marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's no other instances of physics based damage in NS2, why should there be in this specific circumstance? NS2 and NS are about melee combat and ranged combat, not physics battles. The lerk already has no incentive to use it's secondary spike attack because it's primary is so overpowered anyway. A good lerk can take out three marines at once by itself regardless of what weapons they have. This is a class that's designed to play a support role, mind you, and it's just as effective in combat as the fade. Nerfing the lerks speed isn't the solution, it's supposed to move fast to get away with gassing rooms, which is something you don't see enough of because publerks are too busy racking up easy spamkills. The damage from the spikes needs to be nerfed or the firing speed needs to be decreased in addition to a higher energy cost. Once lerks actually employ situation use of both firing modes and realize they are intended for a support role, worry about silly ideas like physics damage.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Give lerk an upgrade to turn it into a flying razor that cuts through marines as it crashes into them.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    Well i have to agree, no damage for it because you shouldn't reward a player for flying into marines, that's the opposite of what your supposed to do.(at least thats what i think) But maybe a blurring of the screen if the player is hit at high enough speed could be good.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited November 2011
    I might be supportive of this if it became an actual mid-air style attack. You're in mid flight, press the attack button, and you do a dive bomb animation with your legs and claws extended out front hitting the marine with you claws. This would mostly be used to either pick off a weak marine in a pack real quick or to finish off a fleeing marine. If you did it as an engagement, you would most likely die because it would completely stop your flight momentum.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuF9sOqNB0M:" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuF9sOqNB0M:</a> Something like this but a little more aggressive.

The major drawback I see is it doesn't really go well with the current lerk role, but I don't think that is an automatically bad thing. Might add a little variety to the lerk play style.
    <!--quoteo(post=1883348:date=Nov 2 2011, 08:04 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ Nov 2 2011, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I might be supportive of this if it became an actual mid-air style attack. You're in mid flight, press the attack button, and you do a dive bomb animation with your legs and claws extended out front hitting the marine with you claws. This would mostly be used to either pick off a weak marine in a pack real quick or to finish off a fleeing marine. If you did it as an engagement, you would most likely die because it would completely stop your flight momentum.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuF9sOqNB0M:" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuF9sOqNB0M:</a> Something like this but a little more aggressive.

The major drawback I see is it doesn't really go well with the current lerk role, but I don't think that is an automatically bad thing. Might add a little variety to the lerk play style.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or the Lerk could dive bomb the marine with its claws and take his weapon. A little bit like the role devour use to have but without the waiting around in an alien stomach.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    I disagree completely, if anything the lerk should take damage. Have you see how frail they are!? Hitting metal armour at high speeds supported by an organism at least 3 times your weight, it's not going to be pretty. Reminds me of the time I saw a pigeon (dead) which flew head first into a bollard. Not a pretty sight.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    Again, the question is realism vs game play. To take damage when already performing a risky attack would make it useless if ever implemented. It's use would become so nitch, it would be an almost useless attack. You're already risking face to face confrontation and loosing all you movement for a short duration. If you took damage on top of that, it would be to risky to ever try.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883361:date=Nov 3 2011, 01:15 AM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ Nov 3 2011, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, the question is realism vs game play. To take damage when already performing a risky attack would make it useless if ever implemented. It's use would become so nitch, it would be an almost useless attack. You're already risking face to face confrontation and loosing all you movement for a short duration. If you took damage on top of that, it would be to risky to ever try.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't actually want to implement it that way, I think it's fine how it is. I was just saying, if anything, the lerk player should be punished for careless flight.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The physics of collision for the lerk is a bit too simple right now : when you hit a marine you just stop. I think redirecting your speed, depending on the angle of the collision, making you spin, or any such kind of flight disturbance would be better.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883350:date=Nov 2 2011, 08:13 PM:name=Hybridclaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hybridclaw @ Nov 2 2011, 08:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or the Lerk could dive bomb the marine with its claws and take his weapon. A little bit like the role devour use to have but without the waiting around in an alien stomach.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yea this would be really nice to see. Then the marine would have to pull out his pistol. The lerk could also be able to drop the weapon where ever. This would add a very nice "depth" to the game as far as life-forms go.