In-game voice

WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
<div class="IPBDescription">shouting VS radio</div>So there is a <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114904" target="_blank">mod on the forums</a> that introduces positional audio. Meaning the further away from a person you are, the more muffled they sound.

It's cool, but there is still a need to talk to everyone on the team now and then. So I think there should be two modes:

<u>Shouting:</u> This could be voice activated even, and it uses positional audio, so only the players near you on the map can hear you. This would lead to much more communication between players who are moving together or in a fire fight, but wouldn't clutter the Team chat with all the chatter.

<u>Radio:</u> This would work exactly as the current chat works. Press button, everyone on the team can hear you. But you could even add in a radio crackle on start and stop of the voice chat or something. Clearly denoting that it is coming over the radio.

I think the <i>Shouting</i> mode would really encourage more team play. Moving with players you are also talking with will naturally encourage squads to stick together.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited October 2011
    post this in the mods thread as this only pertains to that mod unless you want to suggest it as an idea for the developers to implement.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114904" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=114904</a>
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    And offcourse, add positional audio to shouting and not to the radio commands
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    So many possibilities:
    <ul><li>Local team voice - Team chat to just people in some preset range</li><li>Local environmental voice - Both teams hear talker based on proximity, *uses positional audio, disables user voicebox HUD element</li><li>Commander(s) only voice - Sends voice only to your team's commander(s)</li><li>Squad voice - Squad chat</li></ul>
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2011
    Whoah - I really, really like this idea. If I may develop...

<b>Local Chat</b>: Gives clear sound straight from the speakers microphone. Falls off over a distance of around 20 meters. Uses positional audio. Does not transmit environmental sounds.

<b>Global Radio Chat</b>: Adds a slight radio distortion to the sound from the speakers microphone. This radio distortion increases to a noticeable level when the speaking marine is standing on infestation. Audible to all team members. Does not use positional audio. Transmits environmental sounds, such as rifle fire, as a muffled background.

This is the kind of 'value-add' feature that would get people talking. The experience of hearing a crackling, distorted marine calling for help in an alien area, his rifle blasting away in the background; or speaking quietly to people stalking with you down a corridor, would be really cool.
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881820:date=Oct 24 2011, 10:41 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Oct 24 2011, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whoah - I really, really like this idea. If I may develop...

<b>Local Chat</b>: Gives clear sound straight from the speakers microphone. Falls off over a distance of around 20 meters. Uses positional audio. Does not transmit environmental sounds.

<b>Global Radio Chat</b>: Adds a slight radio distortion to the sound from the speakers microphone. This radio distortion increases to a noticeable level when the speaking marine is standing on infestation. Audible to all team members. Does not use positional audio. Transmits environmental sounds, such as rifle fire, as a muffled background.

This is the kind of 'value-add' feature that would get people talking. The experience of hearing a crackling, distorted marine calling for help in an alien area, his rifle blasting away in the background; or speaking quietly to people stalking with you down a corridor, would be really cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1000000000

Ever since I saw a trailer for MAG on PS3, I have always wanted NS2 to adopt this idea.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881820:date=Oct 25 2011, 12:41 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Oct 25 2011, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whoah - I really, really like this idea. If I may develop...

This is the kind of 'value-add' feature that would get people talking. The experience of hearing a crackling, distorted marine calling for help in an alien area, his rifle blasting away in the background; or speaking quietly to people stalking with you down a corridor, would be really cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, it might sound cool the first few times it happens, but after a hundred matches that interference is just going to wind up being a pain. Plus, this gives teams that use mumble an unfair advantage, as they can coordinate strikes into Kharaa territory with crystal-clear audio.

This isn't the first time I've seen this idea floating around.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1881924:date=Oct 25 2011, 12:38 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 25 2011, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, it might sound cool the first few times it happens, but after a hundred matches that interference is just going to wind up being a pain. Plus, this gives teams that use mumble an unfair advantage, as they can coordinate strikes into Kharaa territory with crystal-clear audio.

This isn't the first time I've seen this idea floating around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that would be fine. teams that aren't using ingame voice aren't going to anyway; it's a cool style thing that would very much add to the pub/casual experience without negatively impacting competitive play at all.
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1881935:date=Oct 25 2011, 11:58 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Oct 25 2011, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881935"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that would be fine. teams that aren't using ingame voice aren't going to anyway; it's a cool style thing that would very much add to the pub/casual experience without negatively impacting competitive play at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It certainly "adds" something to pub play, but what if that something is annoying or frustrating for players? Maybe even for a lot of players? If people wanted to be harder to hear or to communicate less effectively, they could just blow into their mic every time they talked; I don't want to have to run halfway across the map to get a decent signal so my com can tell me to run back to where I was and build something he dropped. That sort of thing is fun to watch in movies and nice to read in books, but when you're actually trying to hold off waves of Kharaa it's just more difficulty to deal with.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    Lets add this: <a href="http://www.instantsfun.es/media/flash/mgscall.swf" target="_blank">Metal Gear Call</a> (you might have to refresh the page, at least for me the sound button not always shows up and i only see a green page - ESC cancels the sound)
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881946:date=Oct 25 2011, 10:36 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 25 2011, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to have to run halfway across the map to get a decent signal so my com can tell me to run back to where I was and build something he dropped. That sort of thing is fun to watch in movies and nice to read in books, but when you're actually trying to hold off waves of Kharaa it's just more difficulty to deal with.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So what your wanting is something not realistic?
    The whole point that WaveSonics was trying to make is that this would add realism and more of a squad oriented gameplay.
    This would go for both Aliens and Marines.

-B1ackSmoke
    <!--quoteo(post=1881950:date=Oct 25 2011, 12:55 PM:name=B1ackSmoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (B1ackSmoke @ Oct 25 2011, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So what your wanting is something not realistic?
    The whole point that WaveSonics was trying to make is that this would add realism and more of a squad oriented gameplay.
    This would go for both Aliens and Marines.

-B1ackSmoke<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes. In the game where my nanite-infused immortal body is beating alien life-forms that evolved from bacteria in seconds to death with an axe after pumping dozens of high-velocity machine gun rounds into them, I would like my gameplay to be fun instead of realistic.

If you want realism, go play a flight simulator or CoD; NS2 has very little "realism"
  • moses-moses- Join Date: 2011-10-22 Member: 128826Members
    edited October 2011
    I like the idea without any distortion for the global chat, just keep it simple.

1- Local Chat
    2- Global Chat

Just indicate with a different icon which is which so you won't be confused, and you won't be annoyed by distorted/muffled/echoed sounds.

And to the person complaining about the kid blowing in his mic, I am sure a "mute" feature will be implemented, and with or without this new voice feature, the kid would still cause issues.
    <!--quoteo(post=1882001:date=Oct 25 2011, 03:37 PM:name=moses-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (moses- @ Oct 25 2011, 03:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And to the person complaining about the kid blowing in his mic, I am sure a "mute" feature will be implemented, and with or without this new voice feature, the kid would still cause issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think you have any idea what I was trying to say with that sentence.
  • moses-moses- Join Date: 2011-10-22 Member: 128826Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1882005:date=Oct 25 2011, 04:44 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 25 2011, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think you have any idea what I was trying to say with that sentence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just remembered incorrectly as I was skimming over everything, sorry about that. I think were on the same page with the distortion thing though, it's unnecessary.
    <!--quoteo(post=1881946:date=Oct 25 2011, 01:36 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 25 2011, 01:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It certainly "adds" something to pub play, but what if that something is annoying or frustrating for players? Maybe even for a lot of players? If people wanted to be harder to hear or to communicate less effectively, they could just blow into their mic every time they talked; I don't want to have to run halfway across the map to get a decent signal so my com can tell me to run back to where I was and build something he dropped. That sort of thing is fun to watch in movies and nice to read in books, but when you're actually trying to hold off waves of Kharaa it's just more difficulty to deal with.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

effect could be counteracted with scanner sweeps or some such. don't think so linearly. this could be a great vector to add some comm-marine interaction. going to ninja a PG? it'll feel truly adrenaline-pumping when you're cut off from the rest of the marines due to so much radio noise.
  • ale'ale' Join Date: 2011-08-06 Member: 114689Members
    I don't want to have two separate buttons for voice chat. When you're in a firefight, you don't have time to think if you want to broadcast the message to the whole team or just your squad and then figure out which button to press.
    <!--quoteo(post=1882014:date=Oct 25 2011, 05:05 PM:name=ale')--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ale' @ Oct 25 2011, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to have two separate buttons for voice chat. When you're in a firefight, you don't have time to think if you want to broadcast the message to the whole team or just your squad and then figure out which button to press.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it doesn't have to be two separate buttons. it should just be one, modified by how much enemy territory is between you and the CC (assuming that the CC is the communications hub for the marines)
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1882010:date=Oct 25 2011, 03:58 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Oct 25 2011, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->effect could be counteracted with scanner sweeps or some such. don't think so linearly. this could be a great vector to add some comm-marine interaction. going to ninja a PG? it'll feel truly adrenaline-pumping when you're cut off from the rest of the marines due to so much radio noise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, the first few times maybe. After that, it'll just start to get annoying that I can't talk to my teammates or receive change-of-orders. There only options you really have in that situation are to sit there, silently building with an eye on the entrance until you finish or die, or to suddenly abandon your job for no well-explained reason, walk back to your com, and tell him you didn't feel like finishing his building.

<!--quoteo(post=1882015:date=Oct 25 2011, 04:09 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Oct 25 2011, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it doesn't have to be two separate buttons. it should just be one, modified by how much enemy territory is between you and the CC (assuming that the CC is the communications hub for the marines)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or, it could be one button that lets you talk to your team without imposing artificial rules or hindrances based off of the environment. No static hiss, no tiny hard-to-hear volume, no weapons fire, no sudden cut-off point where you can't coordinate with your team; just a button that lets you communicate when you want to.

Plus, what are you going to do for text chat? Garble it with random characters?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1882016:date=Oct 25 2011, 09:18 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 25 2011, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Plus, what are you going to do for text chat? Garble it with random characters?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    kek
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1881924:date=Oct 26 2011, 02:38 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 26 2011, 02:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, it might sound cool the first few times it happens, but after a hundred matches that interference is just going to wind up being a pain. Plus, this gives teams that use mumble an unfair advantage, as they can coordinate strikes into Kharaa territory with crystal-clear audio.

This isn't the first time I've seen this idea floating around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I didn't intend to propose that the 'interference' be to any degree annoying or capable of inhibiting communication, only that it go from <b>'barely audible' to 'noticeable,'</b> a feint radio hiss and crackle, purely for immersion and general... Awesomeness! People could mumble all they like and it wouldn't affect gameplay.

This has to be my number 1 'want' in NS2 right now.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Mumble > All over forms of voice for competitive play.
    It was a happy day when the mute button made it in to NS2 voice chat - I just don't understand why it can't be used in real life when people say, post, and do unhelpful, irrelevant, and useless things.

Max, can you get on this mate?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    Be careful what you wish... :)

Guess there are a lot ppl in the world that would like to mute others because something is unhelpful or irrelevant for them/in their eyes.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1882074:date=Oct 25 2011, 09:34 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Oct 25 2011, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Be careful what you wish... :)

Guess there are a lot ppl in the world that would like to mute others because something is unhelpful or irrelevant for them/in their eyes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, it can be a dangerous path. In this circumstance, not so much though :P
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    lol there could always be an option to turn it off and just have it normal that always works so people have a choice.
    <!--quoteo(post=1882056:date=Oct 25 2011, 07:57 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Oct 25 2011, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I didn't intend to propose that the 'interference' be to any degree annoying or capable of inhibiting communication, only that it go from <b>'barely audible' to 'noticeable,'</b> a feint radio hiss and crackle, purely for immersion and general... Awesomeness! People could mumble all they like and it wouldn't affect gameplay.

This has to be my number 1 'want' in NS2 right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As a pure flavor change, I don't think I would mind this being added. It would add immersion, and as long as it didn't wind up interfering with understanding, it could increase communication density in marine forces

I'd have to be pretty soft, though.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881820:date=Oct 25 2011, 01:41 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Oct 25 2011, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whoah - I really, really like this idea. If I may develop...

<b>Wonderful idea, the immersion 'feel' is a big attraction to NS2.</b>

<!--quoteo(post=1882014:date=Oct 25 2011, 05:05 PM:name=ale')--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ale' @ Oct 25 2011, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to have two separate buttons for voice chat. When you're in a firefight, you don't have time to think if you want to broadcast the message to the whole team or just your squad and then figure out which button to press.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>Two buttons - hell no. Should be range based. </b>
    Within X meters you get clear sound, beyond this range add the 'immersion' stuff. As NS2HD has pointed out, we'd want something noticeable but not distracting. Given how well the shade distortion works I think UWE could do a great job with this.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1882333:date=Oct 27 2011, 10:50 AM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Oct 27 2011, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Two buttons - hell no. Should be range based. </b>
    Within X meters you get clear sound, beyond this range add the 'immersion' stuff. As NS2HD has pointed out, we'd want something noticeable but not distracting. Given how well the shade distortion works I think UWE could do a great job with this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be the best system for this.

Can't wait to hear the marines scream "FADE!!!" over the radio with guns firing and death noises in the background. Now that would be immersive.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I like the idea. And a local chat would be useful I think, now people are like "skulk from behind !" and everybody on the map jumps to look behind himself. And I guess players are smart enough to handle two buttons.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1882337:date=Oct 27 2011, 04:26 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Oct 27 2011, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea. And a local chat would be useful I think, now people are like "skulk from behind !" and everybody on the map jumps to look behind himself. And I guess players are smart enough to handle two buttons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's making it overly complex. Gaming should be about gaming, chat should be about chat.

If you want to make fancy positional audio things these can be done for things like mumble however players rarely ever use them. I can see a "local chat" quickly being not used by the masses, especially if you're playing commander or checking progress map-side to map-side.