Time to think about shipping the game

1235»

Comments

• SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    Why is this thread still here?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881915:date=Oct 25 2011, 11:02 AM:name=Steinhauer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steinhauer @ Oct 25 2011, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is this thread still here?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm going to guess: people are bored.
  • moses-moses- Join Date: 2011-10-22 Member: 128826Members
    I like how this thread turned into a b-hopping debate. Clearly this game should be focused on one feature that is broadly not used in competitive games except quake... o wait... no it shouldn't.
  • cmcpasserbycmcpasserby Join Date: 2011-10-09 Member: 126489Members
    edited October 2011
    really bhoping was just a quake engine quirk, yes it made for some interesting game-play in Quake, TF, and NS, but no need to put it back in, if your going to do skill based movement, do something a bit more intuitive, and something that actually makes sense.

also bhopping will just make the game un-approachable to new users.
  • Apollonius999Apollonius999 Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68725Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1881936:date=Oct 25 2011, 04:59 PM:name=cmcpasserby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmcpasserby @ Oct 25 2011, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->really bhoping was just a quake engine quirk, yes it made for some interesting game-play in Quake, TF, and NS, but no need to put it back in, if your going to do skill based movement, do something a bit more intuitive, and something that actually makes sense.

also bhopping will just make the game un-approachable to new users.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let me fix that last line.

"also bhopping will just make the game un-apprachable to users who can't think, aim, or know how to play a game as simple as tetris because its hard."
    edited October 2011
    All bunny hoping does is give a player a movement buff to become more agile, do you really think this game needs that?

brb be4 BH get's implemented or modded and I "bind mwheelup jump" and have a clear advantage over people.

edit: o yea and this thread has gotten completely off topic, someone go start yet another BH thread
  • cmcpasserbycmcpasserby Join Date: 2011-10-09 Member: 126489Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1881938:date=Oct 25 2011, 02:02 PM:name=Apollonius999)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apollonius999 @ Oct 25 2011, 02:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let me fix that last line.

"also bhopping will just make the game un-apprachable to users who can't think, aim, or know how to play a game as simple as tetris because its hard."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

really, it's not really hard to learn, bind +jump to mouse wheel and ride the wheel while swinging the mouse left and right, while strafing in the same direction.
    it olny take a hour or 2 to get good at, i used to play a ton of quake, qwtf and tfc, and in the long run bunnyhopping makes no difference, since in-time everyone who still plays the game will all be doing it so the playing field evens off again.

im just saying, that NS2 is supposed to be a marketable product, that can bring in money, and to do that they need it to be easy for new players to jump right in and play.

if UWE puts bhopping in because of some small niche of so called "hardcore gamers" wants it, it would be a horrible businesses decision.
  • Apollonius999Apollonius999 Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68725Members
    Bunny hopping, wall hopping, and numerous other techniques make the game more enjoyable because you don't feel like you are limited in movement. It gives more freedom, diversity, and makes play overall more fun. While i enjoy people who do just walk on the ground at me, if the game did have solid fps and worked properly, the aliens would not stand a chance. Why take away diversity and just walk around everywhere? Aliens jump, leap, and are supposed to be ferocious not some lame cockroach waiting to be roasted. The movement could be used as a selling point saying we aren't the every day idiots who think inside the box and can't be something better.

Seriously i saw a debate saying using walls and ceilings vs running at someone on the ground is an easier target. This shows the player base. Would you want to play a game where you aren't rewarded for your movement and actions vs walking at someone like a stupid tank? Power in numbers forget skill, that seems to be the kind of game you are talking about.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881942:date=Oct 25 2011, 06:13 PM:name=moses-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (moses- @ Oct 25 2011, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All bunny hoping does is give a player a movement buff to become more agile, do you really think this game needs that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes.
    edited October 2011
    @Apollonius999

I'm pretty sure the jetpack was thinking outside of the box?

Adding something like rolling/dodging would be a lot more creative then learning how to strafe and spam spacebar. Add stamina and have it apply to sprinting as well so the two can't be spammed. There ya go, more agile and freedom of movement, and it makes sense in a practical world.

Oh yea and aliens can jump, leap, climb walls and all of that cool stuff, but that's simply because they are aliens, you don't see marines spewing acid out of their mouths do you?

BRB BH'ing a million miles per hours across the map & pew pewing aliens.

@konta

Why's that?
    The aliens are ###### slow, they need bunnyhop.
  • GertjanGertjan Join Date: 2011-08-30 Member: 119151Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881972:date=Oct 25 2011, 09:34 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Oct 25 2011, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The aliens are ###### slow, they need bunnyhop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or something like it :) :) :) ME GUSTA
  • ShalfaShalfa Join Date: 2011-10-19 Member: 128261Members
    By the way.. Quake is awesome.
    edited October 2011
    I thought NS1 has speed upgrades for skulks? Probably will get implemented into NS2? Solve skulk speed problem? Skulks can get leap? Question Mark??

@shalfa

Yes I agree quake is awesome.

Who know's maybe I'm just an idiot for thinking BH is not needed, and that I feel like arguing for the sake of arguing :D
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ok lets quote Cory.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aaand another bunnyhopping thread crawls up out of the depths to terrorize the community forums with its endless circular arguments.

At this stage, it's unlikely that BH will make a return in its full NS1 glory, though we understand the value of it on the competitive side. The pros and cons of BH have been stated a million times, so I'm not going to get dragged into that, however I will say that we are working on a variety of ways to get more fleshed out skill based movement into the game, especially for the alien side. It won't be an across the board thing, the way BH was, but rather a focus on the particular aspects of movement of each player class that makes them unique.

So, for the Skulk, we are working on a wall hopping system that allows for increases in speed based off of timing jumps properly on varying surfaces. Walls, crates, railings, marine structures, etc, with the intention of getting the skulk off of the floor, and using the surrounding environment more. We may even have an early first pass at this for next patch, though no promises.

We have other plans for the rest of the aliens. For example, there is a lot we could do to really enhance his bellyslide, to make it much more maneuverable as a start, and then to potentially have skill based moves like jumps and drifting that can be performed. Lerk flight is being improved and will likely get more additions/improvements, Fade has blink which comes with a whole host of possibilities, and we've got some ideas already for an Onos charge type of movement system.

So, there's a long answer to the question of whether or not bunny hop will be in the game.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

now stop the BH discussion it is pointless. Ot atleast post in this thread:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114671&st=100" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...4671&st=100</a>
    Cory reopened it so ppl can talk about BH.

Back to topic

UWE is doing the right things. For theyr company and the game.
    They said they were going to have a taser once and they went back on it.

They said they'd release in 2009 and they went back on it.

They said they fixed the black screen bug and that come back.

etc. etc.

I could cite more examples but it's possible that the direction could change, especially as it seems like the team doesn't even know where it's been going for the past 2 years. So if something constantly keeps cropping up on these forums, who knows, it might be a sign that something is wanted and the team will do that thing where they go back on themselves like many times before.
This discussion has been closed.