Dying when evolving

SplizxerSplizxer Join Date: 2011-10-20 Member: 128392Members
My suggestion when you die in the middle of evolving is that you should not lose all your res for the evolution.

Marines when they purchase items, they receive it instantly and therefor makes sense if they die they lose the res for the weapon.

For the aliens, however, if you evolve, I think it would be great if the res counts down while you are in egg form, lose 0 res when starting, to lose 50 when complete (if you're evolving to fade). Linear interpolation.

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My suggestion when you die in the middle of evolving is that you should not lose all your res for the evolution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed. Aliens shouldn't lose all the resources and time spent evolving before they can even use them.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Disagreed. I like the way it is currently. Evolving makes you vulnerable and marines get rewarded if they kill you before you can evolve. There are plenty of places where you can evolve safely if you're really worried about losing the res.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1880835:date=Oct 20 2011, 09:12 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 20 2011, 09:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Disagreed. I like the way it is currently. Evolving makes you vulnerable and marines get rewarded if they kill you before you can evolve. There are plenty of places where you can evolve safely if you're really worried about losing the res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed.

If you are worried about losing your res while evolving, don't evolve in stupid places...
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    Disagree.
    This was never a problem in NS1 and does not seem to be a problem in NS2.
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880837:date=Oct 20 2011, 09:15 AM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Oct 20 2011, 09:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed.

If you are worried about losing your res while evolving, don't evolve in stupid places...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree also. It's really a risk versus reward dynamic. Sometimes you are panicked into evolving somewhere slightly vulnerable if you are in a hurry to get somewhere and help your teammates. Doing so should have a risk associated with it since you failed to take the time to look for a safe or hidden area.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Killing an evolving aliens basically never happens.

But from a rational viewpoint, when you're killed, whatever percentage of the evolve process you are in, should be the p.res cost lost. So 50% evolving into a Fade, getting killed will cost you 25 res, half of the total 50 res cost. imo.
  • SiniStarRSiniStarR Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71380Members
    disagree, if you die while evolving, the marines are rewarded with the fact that they dont have to deal with a god damn Fade! The fact that an alien can sneak around and hide, makes it exciting imo. As previously stated, you probably aren't hiding well enough.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1880846:date=Oct 20 2011, 08:07 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Oct 20 2011, 08:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Killing an evolving aliens basically never happens.

But from a rational viewpoint, when you're killed, whatever percentage of the evolve process you are in, should be the p.res cost lost. So 50% evolving into a Fade, getting killed will cost you 25 res, half of the total 50 res cost. imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If we were to change the way it works currently I could agree with this but I think the way it's already setup makes the most sense (gameplay wise) and promotes using your head about where's a good place to evolve or not. As already said this was never an issue in NS1 and now you even get a bunch of other eggs inside the hive to hide among so I don't see this as a real problem.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Things are fine as it is. If you evolve in dumb places like out in the open or away from your base, you do so acknowledging the risk you are taking. There are so many places where its perfectly safe to evolve where 99.99% of the time marines would never find you, whether it be in a vent, or simply by your hive, which, as previously stated, this time around has over a dozen (16) other eggs for you to hide among.

Besides, at this point of game balance, it really should be rewarding if the marines actually manage to find an evolving alien, that doesn't happen very so often, and with so much to gain (preventing a Fade from entering the battle) it increases the suspense and experience.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880846:date=Oct 20 2011, 03:07 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Oct 20 2011, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Killing an evolving aliens basically never happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think there might be some occassions if the onos becomes more of a regular lifeform. Not that I particularly worry about it for now though.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    The current game mechanic causes tension.
    the same way marines building stuff causes tension.

The tension of loss is part of the game.

If you were to argue that the evolve menu SUGGEST that you pick a hidden spot...for newer players.
    I would agree with you there.

But the mechanic itself is awesome.
    Drumming my fingers waiting for my fade to cook....good times.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880855:date=Oct 20 2011, 11:31 AM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Oct 20 2011, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Drumming my fingers waiting for my fade to cook....good times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When you put it that way, that sounds incredibly boring.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880835:date=Oct 20 2011, 03:12 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 20 2011, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Disagreed. I like the way it is currently. Evolving makes you vulnerable and marines get rewarded if they kill you before you can evolve. There are plenty of places where you can evolve safely if you're really worried about losing the res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    >This
  • ShiftShift Join Date: 2004-10-14 Member: 32259Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1880848:date=Oct 20 2011, 10:12 AM:name=SiniStarR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SiniStarR @ Oct 20 2011, 10:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->disagree, if you die while evolving, the marines are rewarded with the fact that they dont have to deal with a god damn Fade!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The same can apply otherwise.

I think the original suggestion could be interesting. If I were a marine, I would control my fire on the egg using judgement to kill it as close to the hatching moment as possible. The reward would be more rewarding the better your timing is.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    During ns1 days, I many times sneaked into alien base, waited until I see someone spawn and go-egg, wait a few seconds (to make sure it wasn't just an upgrade egging) then took em out. Half the time, it was someone going fade or onos.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    In NS1 all the eggs were people in NS2 you have tons of fake eggs that give little value if you kill them, so you are generally safe if you egg there, as long as the rines don't show up with grenade launchers :-)
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    The occupied eggs have the glowing ball in them right?
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880837:date=Oct 20 2011, 02:15 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Oct 20 2011, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you are worried about losing your res while evolving, don't evolve in stupid places...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is the best comment so far. It also has emphasis on the fact the game is called Natural Selection.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Just the other day I had a moment where I started to evolve to a Fade in the hive room. Just a few seconds later a rine walked into the hive room and started attacking the hive. In NS1, I would have been toast right way. I was really freaking out. Then I realized that there were eggs all over the hive room and the rine wasn't really attacking any of them. So there I sat, evolving slowly, a mere 10 ft from the rine hacking up the hive. So while still in my egg, I hear 'your hive is dying'. I really start to sweat because i know if the rine kills the hive, I'll be dead very soon after.

Luckily, my egg pops open a few seconds later and I slay the rine in two quick swipes. Hive saved!

I bet it was quite a surprise to the rine. I wonder if the player now kills eggs before trying to take down a hive ...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1880846:date=Oct 20 2011, 07:07 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Oct 20 2011, 07:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Killing an evolving aliens basically never happens.

But from a rational viewpoint, when you're killed, whatever percentage of the evolve process you are in, should be the p.res cost lost. So 50% evolving into a Fade, getting killed will cost you 25 res, half of the total 50 res cost. imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this approach. I've always found the lose all the PRes when you die while upgrading as being particularly harsh, especially towards new players. Thankfully, it doesn't happen too often right now, but as the sides get more balanced, I could see marines being more able to kill upgrade eggs.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    It's easier to egg in the Hive room than in NS1, and in NS1 it was pretty balanced in this respect. The Hive is supposed to be the Aliens' nexus. If Aliens are playing properly (using all the tools at their disposal) Marines should never get to the Hive and have long enough to kill an egg.

Just like in NS1, egging anywhere other than the Hive is a risk-reward mechanic (higher risk, higher reward). If you egg at the front line you are more likely to take the Marines 'by surprise'. Typically in NS1 this only really made sense when you were egging at the same time and in the same location that the Hive was going up, so you could defend the Hive as soon as you popped from your egg. This way you wouldn't get intercepted along the routes between Hive1 and Hive2 and you may take the Marines by surprise. But again, if you were discovered you'd probably lose both the Fade egg and the consequently unprotected Hive.

It worked well. If it works badly in NS2 post-release, it may be worth considering the % refund, but that really undermines the mechanic of it taking X amount of time to morph.