NS2 on Ubuntu or VirtualBox

GriffonGriffon Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77441Members
Hello community,

I'm currently struggling with playing NS2 on Ubuntu / Wine or with VirtualBox with a 64bit Win7 guest system.

Does anyone managed to get the game running in one of those solutions?

All the best, Alex

Comments

• cmcpasserbycmcpasserby Join Date: 2011-10-09 Member: 126489Members
    why wine works like ######, and virtualbox doesn't support advanced video features, just boot up windows and play this the way it should be played.
  • DooM-AUDooM-AU Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106715Members
    Why not just run Dual boot, instead of VirtualBox?
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited October 2011
    As said, Virtualbox is out of the question. Last time I tried I was not able to get NS2 run under Wine. But I also stopped trying as there isn't much use in doing to get it to run as the game is still under heavy development.
    I will surely try again when the game is coming closer to release but I would surely prefer a native build ;)
  • GriffonGriffon Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77441Members
    Hello community,
    thanks for your answers. Native Windows is no option for me any more. So thanks for your wise answers DooM-AU an cmcpasserby. I don't want to flame-war against OS (again), see <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRvc2UMeMI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRvc2UMeMI</a>

Well Thanks gorge.ous, if you successful one day, I would be happy if you write me a PM with some hints :)

Finally: I can't play any more :( , but with the NS2HD-videos my NS love wont stop and one day some linux gurus will fix the problems and NS2 will be playable in wine :)

All the best, Alex
  • cmcpasserbycmcpasserby Join Date: 2011-10-09 Member: 126489Members
    wasn't starting any OS flame war, just stating facts, wine will never work well, and virtualbox will never be able to handle it.

i actually daily use use win, osx, and 2 linux distros (suse, centos), i just find it seems stupid to try and make something run on linux, using Wine since wine isn't perfect and never will work perfect so it just seems like a huge amount of wasted effort for a barley playable end result if you get lucky.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Virtual Box won't work.

I remember seeing someone using it in linux once but not sure how well it ran being a beta.