Laptop Battery Draining.

2»

Comments

• SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879551:date=Oct 12 2011, 01:16 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Oct 12 2011, 01:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overpriced, underperforming, still get very hot, probably burn out a lot quicker than you'd like.

Also as it's alienware you pay way more than you should because alienware jack all their prices up because of the brand.

If you want to game, honestly you're better off going to dell or any other company that does lots of pre-built desktops, and buy one of their $1000 gaming desktops. It'll run most things pretty well, be cheaper than a comparable laptop, and will probably last longer too. Plus you can always stick a couple of newer parts in it when it breaks, or needs an upgrade, can't do that with a laptop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alienware is part of Dell now. The M11x is pretty cheap, performs pretty decently (especially the newest one!), and has really good cooling for a laptop. I know because I have an R2 with an i7 (overclocked). I've been using it for over a year now. What I love most about it is I can take it to my friend's house and play NS2, RO2, DNF, BC2, etc. and have a great time because we're playing together. Totally beats the old-school desktop LAN parties of the 90s/early 00s :P.

If portability is not a concern (but seeing as you're using a macbook it probably is), then he's right. But the M11x breaks the trend as far as gaming laptops go, so it's worth looking into.
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879627:date=Oct 12 2011, 05:39 PM:name=Steinhauer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steinhauer @ Oct 12 2011, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Totally beats the old-school desktop LAN parties of the 90s/early 00s :P.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hah! Totally brings me back to when my brother used to have all his friends come over and set up desks in his room. Oh man totally FPS Doug days. :P

<!--quoteo(post=1879627:date=Oct 12 2011, 05:39 PM:name=Steinhauer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steinhauer @ Oct 12 2011, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know because I have an R2 with an i7 (overclocked). I've been using it for over a year now. What I love most about it is I can take it to my friend's house and play NS2, RO2, DNF, BC2, etc. and have a great time because we're playing together.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seeing that you have a laptop, even though it's alienware. Do your fans sound kinda loud because it is a laptop. Hence, "The fans are not under your desk inside a tower.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879631:date=Oct 12 2011, 08:21 PM:name=B1ackSmoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (B1ackSmoke @ Oct 12 2011, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seeing that you have a laptop, even though it's alienware. Do your fans sound kinda loud because it is a laptop. Hence, "The fans are not under your desk inside a tower.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They get slightly loud for a laptop, but not like my old desktop. You don't really notice the noise much in-game because of the audio, and because it's not annoyingly loud or grating.
    <!--quoteo(post=1879632:date=Oct 12 2011, 06:40 PM:name=Steinhauer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steinhauer @ Oct 12 2011, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They get slightly loud for a laptop, but not like my old desktop. You don't really notice the noise much in-game because of the audio, and because it's not annoyingly loud or grating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay same here. My Mac pro laptop fans get kinda loud but with headphones on and focusing on killing a fade the fan noise is not even noticeable.

I guess the answer to my initial question is that all Laptops, not matter what brand, will have loud fans when playing games.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    Don't worry too much about the fans' noise until the day you won't hear them anymore. I would rather see it that way:

- If your fans <b>are</b> loud and you <b>can</b> feel hot air being pushed the /$%? out of the laptop = good
    - If your fans <b>are</b> loud and you <b>cannot</b> feel hot air being pushed the /$%? out of the laptop = bad
    - If your fans <b>are not</b> loud (i.e. not working) and you <b>cannot</b> feel hot air being pushed the /$%? out of the laptop = bring it back to the store.
    <!--quoteo(post=1879661:date=Oct 13 2011, 01:11 AM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Oct 13 2011, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't worry too much about the fans' noise until the day you won't hear them anymore. I would rather see it that way:

- If your fans <b>are</b> loud and you <b>can</b> feel hot air being pushed the /$%? out of the laptop = good
    - If your fans <b>are</b> loud and you <b>cannot</b> feel hot air being pushed the /$%? out of the laptop = bad
    - If your fans <b>are not</b> loud (i.e. not working) and you <b>cannot</b> feel hot air being pushed the /$%? out of the laptop = bring it back to the store.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to. It's what the fans are supposed to do! I like how some people are paranoid and fear hearing anything. Might as well keep your computer turned off. IT's a machine, it will make noise.

Thanks everyone who commented! See you in the servers as TheblackSmoke. Good playing to you all.

-B1ackSmoke