Any chinese players out there?

nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
edited October 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
I was wondering if there was something like a chinese ns2 community out there. I am in beijing right now for studying and frustrated of the lack of any servers and players :-/ not even something in japan or korea. It feels like ns2 does not exist in asia... Best servers are australian ones with a ping of 200 o.O.
I thought there might be some players around the forums to meet for a game from time to time and maybe rent a server at some point.

cheers

Dolce & Lebowski

Ps: feel free to contact me on steam-> lebowski.ger

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->EDIT
For players from and around china (asia) how about posting your steamnames here so we can add eachother on steamfriends to have game every now and then...<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    afaik there was one thread a while ago from a person asking the same question.
    I try to find it ;)

Edit:
    I only found this:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112645&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=112645&hl=</a>
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Btw there is one Server online from Japan:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[JP] fpsjp NS2 Server[TEST]
    211.133.62.104:27016 ns2_tram 0 / 16 Japan<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879128:date=Oct 10 2011, 12:39 PM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Oct 10 2011, 12:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->afaik there was one thread a while ago from a person asking the same question.
    I try to find it ;)

Edit:
    I only found this:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112645&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=112645&hl=</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1879155:date=Oct 10 2011, 03:23 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Oct 10 2011, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879155"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw there is one Server online from Japan:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hey thanks guys. I wrote Buzou a pm. Maybe he is still here and we can figure something out.

I did not notice the japanese servers. thanks for that. but the reason i did not notice is, because i just looked for the ingame browser and there it is listed with a very bad ping for me. austrailian 200ish servers are closer.

Dolce & Lebowski
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    I am not a chinese, but I live in Beijing for 10 years already, I met you in a game couple of times too.

I remember during the times of NS vanilla there were lots of chinese players, but now - I dont think anyone here knows about NS2, I myself just found out about it by having a flashback once of the first NS, so I googled NS2.
  • BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
    Hey dude, yeah i'm still in Tianjin, China.

Sorry i haven't played NS2 in months, there were no good servers to connect to, the earlier versions were too buggy to play, and due to the hot summer here my laptop would overheat if i played anything too graphics-intensive. but the game and the weather have improved since then so i'll give it another try tonight.

in the meantime there are some NS1 servers based in Tianjin and Beijing that have a small but regular community, so at least there is something to play. Unfortunately i doubt there will be an NS2 server in china until the beta finishes and the game is released.

if we can set one up ourselves somehow i'd happy to help out, but i don't know anything about that :(
    How many people is going to play if even we do set up one?
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    edited October 2011
    Im in Europe, so I'm really lucky their are a few very good servers to play on (HBZ top of the list), and they are literally full all the time (during normal hours for europe).

Thing is, most people that play in europe will always try to connect to the HBZ servers as their 1st port of call so to speak. So some other decent servers go with out players.

To host a good NS2 server (and that is not an easy task) you would have to build a server (you physically purchase a PC) and place it into a hosting company, (Telehouse / Redbus for UK), yes you can rent servers from companies, but these companes run dozens of servers off the same box (pc) on a lower spec system than you would build, and for NS2 that just wont work.

So its not cheap, but it is a sure fine way of making sure you have the best possible play experiance.

I might be wrong, Its been years (since CS1.6) since I have hosted servers in Telehouse, so I might be completly wrong.
    I am member of hbz and we (well not me anymore atm ;)) rent a root server with beefy hardware and run the server on it. most gameserver companys dont offer ns2. so no buying a computer and that kind of stuff. the only thing im quite positive is that since i am in beijing i guess there should be some serveroperators with nice bandwith to the world.
    thats what i had in mind for ns2 aswell, but its quite costly so we need some people willing to donate for it. Well I dont see that happening with three people in china ;).
    Maybe we can find a way making ns2 more public here. then there would be more possibilties and there might even be someone else starting a decent server so we dont have to.
    <!--quoteo(post=1879282:date=Oct 11 2011, 10:03 AM:name=blin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blin @ Oct 11 2011, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How many people is going to play if even we do set up one?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well based on this thread we have 3.... hey it's a start!

<!--quoteo(post=1879304:date=Oct 11 2011, 01:41 PM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Oct 11 2011, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am member of hbz and we (well not me anymore atm ;)) rent a root server with beefy hardware and run the server on it. most gameserver companys dont offer ns2. so no buying a computer and that kind of stuff. the only thing im quite positive is that since i am in beijing i guess there should be some serveroperators with nice bandwith to the world.
    thats what i had in mind for ns2 aswell, but its quite costly so we need some people willing to donate for it. Well I dont see that happening with three people in china ;).
    Maybe we can find a way making ns2 more public here. then there would be more possibilties and there might even be someone else starting a decent server so we dont have to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah building a rig is out of the question, too expensive. i don't know how much it would cost for a server operator to host it, it might be cheaper than we think (like everything else in china). the main problem would be finding a server operator that would do it for us, we would need to know a hardcore FPS chinese gamer to help us, but i don't know any. i've tried to make friends on the NS1 servers but with limited mandarin it is almost impossible. maybe try to recruit people in internet cafes?

i don't know how many chinese have bought the beta, but i dont think it would be many. the price is too high compared to the pirated games they can buy in a market, AND it's only the beta at this stage. once it is released maybe more chinese will consider spending the extra money to buy it, and therefore create a server. but until then, we either have to create our own server, or wait and see.

making our own server would be the best way to make it more public in my opinion. more people would be willing to pay for the game if there is a reliable server nearby.
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1879310:date=Oct 11 2011, 09:29 AM:name=Buzzou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Buzzou @ Oct 11 2011, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well based on this thread we have 3.... hey it's a start!

yeah building a rig is out of the question, too expensive. i don't know how much it would cost for a server operator to host it, it might be cheaper than we think (like everything else in china). the main problem would be finding a server operator that would do it for us, we would need to know a hardcore FPS chinese gamer to help us, but i don't know any. i've tried to make friends on the NS1 servers but with limited mandarin it is almost impossible. maybe try to recruit people in internet cafes?

i don't know how many chinese have bought the beta, but i dont think it would be many. the price is too high compared to the pirated games they can buy in a market, AND it's only the beta at this stage. once it is released maybe more chinese will consider spending the extra money to buy it, and therefore create a server. but until then, we either have to create our own server, or wait and see.

making our own server would be the best way to make it more public in my opinion. more people would be willing to pay for the game if there is a reliable server nearby.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also thought about the internet cafes. anotherway of getting it more popular would be youku i guess. I think the main problem is that the chineses players dont know about the game, its not that they dont want to buy it. But I agree with you that a good server would rise the attractiveness to buy the game. Blin and I are going out for a TSA-Brewery-Night(drinking some nanites-beer and kharaa longdrinks) in Beijing. Maybe we can come up with a good way how to make this. Would love to make ns2 more popular in china, just out of the selfish reason that I myself want to play :P
    Guys, dont forget about the Great Chinese Firewall :-)

It is not that easy to organize a server here in China, how many BC2 servers have you seen here? I ll tell you: there were two - both closed within 2-3 weeks from the start. You have to obtain a govermental permission and a lisence for the game to officially start a server on those server providing companies.

And about starting a community: I speak, read, write fluent chinese, so this is not a problem, and I see how lots of chinese now started buying games from steam etc., for people from Beijing, Shanghai and other big cities 40 bucks for a game is nothing, they spend way more money on WoW and lots of them play BC2 on HK and Taiwan servers; the problem is - where to find this people, they dont go to internet cafe to play, not anymore. Let me look on chinese websites..

If there was a server in HK or Taiwan...
    edited October 2011
    Just needed to mins to look on baidu...

there is a community already:

official site: <a href="http://www.ns2cn.com/" target="_blank">http://www.ns2cn.com/</a>

forum: <a href="http://bbs.onos.cc/" target="_blank">http://bbs.onos.cc/</a>

steamgroup: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/onoscc" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/onoscc</a>

lets make a contact with them.
  • pixel-atonalpixel-atonal Join Date: 2011-10-06 Member: 125968Members
    I'm new to Natural Selection. I'm in Japan, though I can speak Mandarin and lived in China before. Hope to play with you guys soon.
    edited October 2011
    Fast growing community of asian expats... hah

yesterday my gf looked (ocasionally) in my sms folder on iphone...

hehe it was kinda fun to explain her that Lebowsky is a player from NS2 forums, and UWE is not a g a y community :-))))
    <!--quoteo(post=1879437:date=Oct 12 2011, 12:20 AM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Oct 12 2011, 12:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Blin and I are going out for a TSA-Brewery-Night(drinking some nanites-beer and kharaa longdrinks) in Beijing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

have fun, in the future when i have a bit more resources i'd love to catch a bullet train to Beijing and join you guys. in the meantime my steam name is Buzzou if you want to add me :)
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1879470:date=Oct 11 2011, 11:53 PM:name=blin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blin @ Oct 11 2011, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys, dont forget about the Great Chinese Firewall :-)

It is not that easy to organize a server here in China, how many BC2 servers have you seen here? I ll tell you: there were two - both closed within 2-3 weeks from the start. You have to obtain a govermental permission and a lisence for the game to officially start a server on those server providing companies.

And about starting a community: I speak, read, write fluent chinese, so this is not a problem, and I see how lots of chinese now started buying games from steam etc., for people from Beijing, Shanghai and other big cities 40 bucks for a game is nothing, they spend way more money on WoW and lots of them play BC2 on HK and Taiwan servers; the problem is - where to find this people, they dont go to internet cafe to play, not anymore. Let me look on chinese websites..

If there was a server in HK or Taiwan...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Didnt know about the permission thing. ok would be a question how hard it is to receive something like that. I would prefer a server within china over eg hongkong, because i think the signal would not have to process through the firewall. at least thats my imagination ^^.

joined the chinese ns2 forum. going to write something there tonight. lets see how active they are.

<!--quoteo(post=1879666:date=Oct 13 2011, 05:59 AM:name=Buzzou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Buzzou @ Oct 13 2011, 05:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->have fun, in the future when i have a bit more resources i'd love to catch a bullet train to Beijing and join you guys. in the meantime my steam name is Buzzou if you want to add me :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh I would love that! :) I also could imagine taking the train to Tianjin. I like to see new places :)

edit
    pixel-atonal would you mind to pm me your steam name? maybe we could have a game from time to time