Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 186 released

Comments

• SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems like it already downloaded for me 20-30 minutes ago. MY BODY IS READY.
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878518:date=Oct 7 2011, 10:25 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Oct 7 2011, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->see above. There is a vent to xr now from crevice. No changes to heli, but you can no longer snipe xr from a mile away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My idea!!! (the vent anyway)
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1878502:date=Oct 7 2011, 01:58 PM:name=vsechnech)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vsechnech @ Oct 7 2011, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am just curious -- what was causing the black screen bug? Thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1878504:date=Oct 7 2011, 01:59 PM:name=Frhoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frhoe @ Oct 7 2011, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty sure the BS bug was due to entities not being cleared after the game and LUA taking a fart because of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correct.

There is a function in Server.lua called DestroyLiveMapEntities(). We added "Server.mapLiveEntities = { }" to the bottom of that function, bug fixed. That list was never being cleared. When the entity count looped over (after about 2000 entities had been created in total), weird stuff would start to happen.
    Due to how the bug was manifesting itself and the time needed to track it down, that fix took a looooooong time however. So it goes.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • reavenreaven Join Date: 2011-09-30 Member: 124664Members
    Awesome work, see you guys in-game!
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    Lets us poor slobs that can't play yet if there are any significant client side FPS improvements!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I have a feeling 186 will make my hard drives bleed
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    For me the client-FPS hasn't really changed that much (maybe up slightly), instead the game feels more like it should for the FPS it is getting. Before, 60 FPS really felt like it was in the range of 30-40, now it's almost as smooth as 60 FPS ought to be. So yeah, the folks stuck on 30 FPS should at least get a smoother experience with it.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    edited October 2011
    I smell a small bugfix patch coming...

The downside:

- lots of server crashes now.
    - spawnbug on alien side
    - still stalemates...

The upside:
    - much improved client fps (about +50% for me, same as 184)
    - infest looks much better
    - great new sounds
    - building and upgrade bugs mostly fixed (only newly spawned drifters sometimes still bug: selected but not "really" selected)

Throw in a small bugfix patch next week and everyone will be happy for quite some time... Till 188 & oh noes! :)
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    Well that's good news. I wounder if that's due to server performance bumps.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    The Viewer seems to be crashing on start-up for me now, unsure if this is due to 186, or an unfortunate coincidence.
  • RazorbRazorb Join Date: 2010-01-08 Member: 69972Members
    getting bad fps loss when im a marine around any of the infestation! my gf also does and thats on another computer, both i7/i5 machines with gtx 570's and 6 gb .. wierd tho as when we are both aliens around the infestation it runs fine!...

also lots of people having missing model bugs. like they cant see fades or skulk mouths from first person ;(.. i personally havent had this one yet.. but i keep hearing it.

but you fixed that fps issue i used to have in 185.. this runs a lot smoother in general for me.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I said I'd re-buy the game as soon as performance starts starting becoming high-priority.

186 = take my money
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited October 2011
    2 bugs I've experienced so far:

Flamethrower dropped the server tickrate down to 2-3 and it eventually crashed. (I think it was the flamethrower as there was loads of errors in console about it)
    Beacon didn't work when the com used it.

Also, I still get pretty low fps in alien start on summit. I'm not sure what changed but 2 builds ago it was fine.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    There was loads of console errors with the flamethrower, and distress beacon seems to be broken. Message stays forever.

Other than that it plays pretty awesome.

Small suggestion is to make the waypoint trail a bit bigger.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878555:date=Oct 8 2011, 12:07 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 8 2011, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2 bugs I've experienced so far:

Flamethrower dropped the server tickrate down to 2-3 and it eventually crashed. (I think it was the flamethrower as there was loads of errors in console about it)
    Beacon didn't work when the com used it.

Also, I still get pretty low fps in alien start on summit. I'm not sure what changed but 2 builds ago it was fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Was in the same game but I didn't got any Flamer errors in the console but it occured when flamer first was used, some were rubberbanding and other were warping. But ticks were at 30, atleast it showed me 30.

Confirm beacon did not work

Also there is an egg spawning outside of alienstart in Summit.
    Another thing is, when a com drops meds on a rine they stack on top of his head.

All in all a nice patch! Really nice to play and Lerks are really dangerous now!
    And the infestation <3 <3 it is just wonderfull that little change added alot of atmosphere in the game!

Only thing that "shocked" me were the new sounds especially the Pistol. All the sounds have IMO to much bass and biting a node a skulk produces a strange sound combo. Always when I shot the GL I sounds like "Oh that things gonna hurt!" like a bomb getting dropped from a bomber.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Also, sounds seem strange sometimes, like you are near a shade when you aren't (weird distortion).
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1878550:date=Oct 7 2011, 03:40 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Oct 7 2011, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Viewer seems to be crashing on start-up for me now, unsure if this is due to 186, or an unfortunate coincidence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This appears to be a bug, I'll fix it.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2011
    The new infestation looks nice.

Would like to say more but can't play as some idiot on the hbz server keeps kicking me.

Oh and the sounds are also nice, lot of them sound crisper and the muffling effect of walls is a nice touch.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Change your name...
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878567:date=Oct 8 2011, 12:35 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Oct 8 2011, 12:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Change your name...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Feh, I'll just wait for some better servers tomorrow. Not changing my name because of some idiot server admin.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Yayayay. Wonderful patchnotes!

Some Tier 3 for 187? I CAN'T WAIT already! :D
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    Only tried about 20 minutes, but same issues here really:

Flame thrower issues - spamming console with missing sound errors
    Beacon would not work
    MAC routing seems worse - they keep getting stuck in the ceiling

Not sure if it was a bug, but I had two cysts disappear which were connected, and were not killed by a marine. It was to the left of spawn working its way out to crevice. Will try to replicate it.

Server performance seems worse, but Im guessing thats the flamer bug.

Liking the new infestation btw!
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    edited October 2011
    Improvement on performance for sure, good job! I get frequent nano-spikes but between them it plays great. I'm running an M11xR2 with the i7 640UM, so it could be me. Based on the other small problems already listed above I'd guess a hotfix will come out soon.

I want to add that picking up weapons is a little funky. It seems like I have to be looking at the weapon itself to pick it up, even if it's showing the weapon icon + keyboard letter G.

Keep up the good work!

Also, I lost connection to Inversion #2 (I think it was a crash) as soon as Charlie connected, so clearly there's a bug in Charlie's programming :P
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    Okay, here my first impressions from the patch.

In my opinion, there are two major bugs which need to be fixed with a hotfix, before the defs start to work on the big update.

- The distress beacon doesn't work. The alarm sounds shortly and the text keeps blinking, but nothing happens at all. Triggering beacon a 2nd time doesnt work. It is like the first beacon goes never off.

- If a marine shoots the flamer, all players on the server start to rubberband. I ried it myself and after shooting I wasn't even able to drop the flamer or change weapons. Only going to the ready room fixed it. after that the server ran smooth again.

-----------
    Now for things which don't need a hotfix
    I still think that the new LMG model is... not that great (looks like a mini-uzi-peashooter-gun). But opininons are different on that one ;)
    Also it seemed that the leerk is now über-strong. It is hard to hit with the rifle and kills a marine within seconds.

I do love the rest of the patch.

The performance increased very much and is smooth now for me. (even if my FPS drops down to 25.. it is still smooth), the new sounds are awesome (even if some sounds don't play always.. like the spinning and spawning sound of the IP), the fade initial cost blink & speed, summit changes, ammopack changes, new waypooins, new weapons pickup model, frenzy works again, faster reload and so on.

However I am still undecided about the new egg spawn system. Let's see how it turns out in the long run.

BTW: the spawn bug occurs if you have the minimap mod installed.
  • LaggasaurusLaggasaurus Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22773Members, NS1 Playtester
    I'm happy to say this patch gave me back the 15fps the last one took from me plus a little interest, i'm now getting a smooth 45fps in combat which is nice. Also infestation is looking so much nicer now, looks far less out of place than it did.

However the increase in fps has kinda highlighted how much the game feels like your playing with a 300+ ping, skulks land bites half a corridor away, couple with their not being too obvious signs you've taken dmg on either side. You can quite often die as marine before your health bar/screen reacts to you being bitten, this works the other way with you killing people with no sign that you've done dmg - correct me if i'm wrong but is there still no sound for when aliens take hits?

But in all its a big step forward and i'm looking for ward to getting full tech trees :)
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    Well impressed with the 186 patch notes, cannot wait to get back from work and try it out. Cant say I was too happy with build 185, performance was kinda poor.

Is anyone able to take a few screenshots of build 186 and post them in here? (new waypoints and infestation etc) Unfortunately work block youtube so I cant view any videos! :\

I take it its too late for uwe to hotfix the flamethrower / distress beacon problems for the weekend. Presume it wont be until early next week now?
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are fixing the flamethrower crash and alien spawn bug now....should be able to release a patch on Monday.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cheers for the quick reply!
  • RemedyRemedy Join Date: 2011-06-16 Member: 104735Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Loving the new patch! Glad to see some new props to work with in spark editor.

SPEEDBRO made me laugh :)
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1878579:date=Oct 8 2011, 12:39 AM:name=Steinhauer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steinhauer @ Oct 8 2011, 12:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I get frequent nano-spikes but between them it plays great. I'm running an M11xR2 with the i7 640UM, so it could be me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ill try it on mine when I get home from work in 4 days, see if i can replicate it or not :)