Devour Onos

SN1ReactionSN1Reaction Join Date: 2011-10-05 Member: 125899Members
This may sound silly, but the main reason why I played NS1 for so long was because of the Onos's devour ability; I recall spending countless hours sharpening my Onos skills until it was nice and pointy. Here's hoping that Unknown Worlds brings back the devour Onos.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    What are you on man, you can't devour an Onos!!!

Also, their stance on taking away control from players is kinda set in stone, so it probably will not make an appearance in the official game
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I remember to read some rumors that UWE <i>think</i> about giving the onos devour back.. but if they do, onos can only swallow only marines with standart armor. EXOs not.

But I don't remember where I read it.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    +1 to OP

I too played the game for ages due to this game mechanic it was too funny and very satisfying.

Yes as a marine I grumbled when getting eaten but thats what made me truly fear the Onos. Also the satisfaction and team moral when freed of the onos was always worth it.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878215:date=Oct 5 2011, 04:07 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 5 2011, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are you on man, you can't devour an Onos!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, There was a plugin made so you could "sacrifice yourself in ns1 to be devoured by an onos even if you are an onos.

Example:
    All members of the team evolve to an onos and place themselves on the sacrifice "list" via console command, The "chosen one" (onos) devours each onos on the list taking that onos's HP and armor. The result was a single onos that was nothing short of a locomotive. That is a fun plugin!

So yes you can. <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->*Sticks tongue out at Koji<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I remember the old AvA maps where you had a bunch of Onos running around eating other Onos. Circle of life.

Also big lolz to waiting cloaked in a hallway then eating a lone rambo as he turns the corner. Devour shouldn't return in its previous form since it was pretty wimpy to have onos run in a room, eat someone, then run back to somewhere safe for the next 30 seconds or so it took to digest them. It's kind of sneaky and sly, whereas the onos should be busting through walls throwing multiple marines around and stuff.
  • MrGreenMrGreen Join Date: 2010-12-10 Member: 75602Members
    I remember the Onos devour ability being one of the features that drew in new players.
    When I would talk about the game to others about how you can evolve into this big rhino like thing and swallow players whole. Then they watch the inside of your gut and digest over time. The part about the Onos dying and the marine coming out alive just made it really cool.

I would have thought they would keep this feature in purely for marketing purposes at the very least.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    I never thought devour was either fun, or made the game better. It was simply an annoying ability after you seen it once.
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878261:date=Oct 6 2011, 12:47 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Oct 6 2011, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never thought devour was either fun, or made the game better. It was simply an annoying ability after you seen it once.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1878249:date=Oct 6 2011, 01:46 AM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Oct 6 2011, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...waiting cloaked in a hallway then eating a lone rambo as he turns the corner. Devour shouldn't return in its previous form since it was pretty wimpy to have onos run in a room, eat someone, then run back to somewhere safe for the next 30 seconds or so it took to digest them. It's kind of sneaky and sly, whereas the onos should be busting through walls throwing multiple marines around and stuff.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In a previous thread this seemed to be the common reason that people did not like devour.

I however did like it for the following reasons.
    It was a great tactic in the middle of a brawl.
    It was awesome saving someone.
    It was awesome being saved.

That all being said I think if UW implemented devour ....
    they should do it later (their plate is pretty full)
    they should chew hard on all the reasons people liked or didn't like it.
    So if you care state reasoning not 'it ruled' or 'it wuz dumb'
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I ate heavies, run in as Onos, stomp, get a heavy, run away heal, go back stomp, kill, eat again, kill. It was a brutal cycle.
  • SN1ReactionSN1Reaction Join Date: 2011-10-05 Member: 125899Members
    Although a lone heavy will easily be picked off, a chain of them is extremely difficult to deal with (even with multiple onoses running around); heavy train was a very viable strategy.