PT Mods Wallhopping

13»

Comments

• marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1876878:date=Sep 25 2011, 09:10 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Sep 25 2011, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ultimately its hard to say which of the games had most depth since a) I haven't met NS1 champions who were also CS pros (there might be just haven't looked around)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Franky played pretty high-level CS I think, as did I. Not pro-level, but semi-pro kinda level perhaps. FYI :)

It is hard to say for sure, because only when there is more competition are players forced to explore the depth of the game further. If NS1 had had a competetive scene 4x as large in its peak, the depth of gameplay would have been explored considerably deeper, and the level of play would have been considerably higher. The more competition there is, the better the top-tier players become. NS1 never had enough competition for players to expore every possibility of the game mechanics.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877778:date=Oct 2 2011, 08:11 PM:name=marks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marks @ Oct 2 2011, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Franky played pretty high-level CS I think, as did I. Not pro-level, but semi-pro kinda level perhaps. FYI :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah and I talked with franky and he said CS probably isn't really that complex compared to NS (and NS isn't really that complex compared to Starcraft but it could have been made to come much closer). I will still have to confirm this since I don't want to misquote him.

Then again, it doesn't really matter. Both games offer a lot of challenge, but different. I never had a personal preference for CS, just wasn't my thing. Melee-vs-ranged and FPS/RTS hybrid was much more interesting than symmetrical or near-symmetrical ranged vs ranged.

I did like TFC though a lot since it had movement skills like NS, even more so than NS (concjumping was harder). This is another reason why the previous guy talking about CS and TF was quite amusingly illogical since many (most?) TFC players agree that removing bunnyhop in TF2 was a serious mistake, and TF2 is <i>a lot</i> easier than TFC (and impression that most people moving from NS1 to TF2 got aswell).

<!--QuoteBegin-marks+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marks)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It is hard to say for sure, because only when there is more competition are players forced to explore the depth of the game further. If NS1 had had a competetive scene 4x as large in its peak, the depth of gameplay would have been explored considerably deeper, and the level of play would have been considerably higher. The more competition there is, the better the top-tier players become. NS1 never had enough competition for players to expore every possibility of the game mechanics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed 100%.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877793:date=Oct 2 2011, 08:58 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Oct 2 2011, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TFC players agree that removing bunnyhop in TF2 was a serious mistake, and TF2 is <i>a lot</i> easier than TFC (and impression that most people moving from NS1 to TF2 got aswell).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That ^

Although TF2 then mixed it up with pipe/sticky jumping, made rocket jumping more versatile, double jump, Fan etc. That meant rather than mastering bunnyhopping, you had a wide range and variety.

I guess what I'm getting at is it had a versatile replacement, there's still a skill level although it's a different kind. Where as NS2 has nothing.