NS_Unknown

2»

Comments

• FahranFahran Join Date: 2010-04-30 Member: 71573Members
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the <i>*poke</i>, I stopped work on this project over 14 months ago ;\ although I really enjoyed the creative element of building a 3d space I can't see myself (or my mapping partner Torana) picking this up again in the future. Between IRL work, doing fan art (eg stuff like <a href="http://masterworks.com.au/images/charr-port-bg-proof-8h.jpg" target="_blank">[1]</a> <a href="http://www.masterworks.com.au/images2/charr-port-bg-proof-10-1920x1200.jpg" target="_blank">[2]</a>) and games like <a href="http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3" target="_blank">BF3</a> / <a href="http://www.guildwars2.com/en/" target="_blank">GW2</a> coming out in the future I just can't see myself dedicating any more time to this project.

Sorry but <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->[Closed]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> for now, if I pick this up later in the year(doubtful) I will be sure to post here.

o/
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    wow! you guys are really on to something here, pretty awesome, can wait to play on it :)
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Sorry to hear that,
    this is the most amazing mapping i've seen on this engine.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    You should consider releasing the map sources, so that other people can pick it up. It would be a real shame if all that work was just lost.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    I second that. And if your not really happy about some random people messing with your work, release it to the developers. I'm sure they will give the map the care it deserves and I'm sure they will thank you for it.
  • dickbassdickbass Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109402Members
    Bro you if your not going to work on this u have to give your files up. This is way to good to not finish.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868312:date=Aug 11 2011, 10:20 AM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Aug 11 2011, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I second that. And if your not really happy about some random people messing with your work, release it to the developers. I'm sure they will give the map the care it deserves and I'm sure they will thank you for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, absolutely, I think the developers would be the right people to give the map to.
    yeah bro im sure they can edit in a big thank you Fahran into the readyroom or something. I dont really think u wont get credit for the map. But bro this looks really good and to just stop making it and not give your files out would be sad.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1869053:date=Aug 15 2011, 04:24 AM:name=######bass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######bass @ Aug 15 2011, 04:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah bro im sure they can edit in a big thank you Fahran into the readyroom or something. I dont really think u wont get credit for the map. But bro this looks really good and to just stop making it and not give your files out would be sad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This bro is right bro
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    Ns2 is better than any other gaems get the asses back to work *whips*
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1868701:date=Aug 12 2011, 09:41 PM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Aug 12 2011, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, absolutely, I think the developers would be the right people to give the map to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The developers dont make maps, but I get what your saying hehe.

This map has to much sex appeal to be closed down, you must throw the map in the direction on dux or jonacrab. This map has a lot of potential and stopping production would be a major shame...
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1877133:date=Sep 27 2011, 01:38 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Sep 27 2011, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The developers dont make maps, but I get what your saying hehe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes the developers do.

--Cory
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877204:date=Sep 27 2011, 06:38 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Sep 27 2011, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes the developers do.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Last time I checked Max, Flayra, Murphy, Wacko were not making maps, they were busy building a game. I believe your terminology is much different than mine Your developer team and your development team are two different things (at least in my career as a front end developer).
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Your terminology is off, then. Everyone on the team that works on the game is a developer, there's no distinction between coders and everyone else. Similarly, there's no distinction between "making maps" and "building a game", the maps are part of the game being built.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Coders should be coders. Mappers should be mappers. When you cross the two, you get terrible designs on both ends. Mainly because your mapper generally can't code and because your coder is creative with math, not a design editor.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Oh crap, that makes me phoo at both those tasks then.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1877412:date=Sep 29 2011, 12:24 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Sep 29 2011, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Coders should be coders. Mappers should be mappers. When you cross the two, you get terrible designs on both ends. Mainly because your mapper generally can't code and because your coder is creative with math, not a design editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not saying people share jobs, I'm saying that coders aren't the only people working on a game that get called "developers".
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    Lol we're arguing semantics here, as well as mixing understandings of words across many countries.

A developer is someone who works on a game, they help develop (create) the game in some aspect; it could be a coder, engineer, programmer, artist, effects artist, ui coder, net code engineer, sound designer, map maker, prop designer etc..

They all help "develop"(e.g. create, shape, make) the game, hence they are "developers"

It's all semantics on what you mean by "developer" I think most people consider a "developer" anyone who has their hands in making the game one way or another, a broad generalization of the term. NOT a silo'ed term ONLY meaning engine programmers, coders etc.
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    edited September 2011
    Back on track, lets not continue derailing this good map thread, good looking map, cant wait to try it!
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2011
    Awesome style.
    I just don't like that the map is symmetric like that :)
    And only one entrance to marine/alien start positions, that's not good. Hello stalemates :P