Croach ideas

KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
edited September 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
Was thinking hives can research upgrades for croach. Upgrades (more than one?) are unique to that hive, and will go away if croach is not connected to the hive that upgraded/researched it.

So, I'm thinking of upgrades like better healing for aliens, extra slowdown for marines, extra speed for aliens, expanded growth per cyst, maybe even a gas upgrade for when marine step on the croach, they take a small amount of damage. So hives are now named after the structure they support, but maybe we can add another name to that list, like "Healing Shading Hive" or "Speed Crag Hive".

Maybe each hive can only be upgraded for one of these traits for balance reasons.

What do you all think?

Comments

• subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    I think the word croach should be banned from the forums.

on-topic: I'm really for giving extra traits to the hive connected to their chambers.
    Giving eggs the same treatment is an option, but not really nesessary imo.
    Giving it to cysts is a step too far.
  • Soli Deo GloriaSoli Deo Gloria Join Date: 2009-06-25 Member: 67926Members
    I think there should be some sort of durability upgrade for the cysts. The marines are supposed to have a way to deal with infestation early game but infestation is way too weak mid game. Nade spam, weapons damage upgrades, and flamers just tear through alien territory. One pre-cysts aspect I enjoyed was when aliens were close to winning almost the entire map was infested. Perhaps so kind of "hardened cysts" that take significantly less damage from regular weapons, but are still damaged normally by flamethrowers.

Just my two cents.
  • NemaususNemausus Join Date: 2011-08-18 Member: 117214Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1876192:date=Sep 22 2011, 07:01 AM:name=Soli Deo Gloria)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soli Deo Gloria @ Sep 22 2011, 07:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think there should be some sort of durability upgrade for the cysts. The marines are supposed to have a way to deal with infestation early game but infestation is way too weak mid game. Nade spam, weapons damage upgrades, and flamers just tear through alien territory. One pre-cysts aspect I enjoyed was when aliens were close to winning almost the entire map was infested. Perhaps so kind of "hardened cysts" that take significantly less damage from regular weapons, but are still damaged normally by flamethrowers.

Just my two cents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would have to go looking back through design log or dev comments to find it, but I am fairly sure there are plans to make cysts stronger and more resilient the longer they have been there. This will make them scale well in to the late game if they can be defended and also would give marines extra incentive to push alien territory before the cysts 'harden' too much to be removed without excessive force.

This should give the feel of aliens dominating the map towards the end of the game and solve the current problem with rambo marines killing off a cyst or two and breaking chains worth 100's of energy.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1876718:date=Sep 24 2011, 08:37 AM:name=Nemausus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nemausus @ Sep 24 2011, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This should give the feel of aliens dominating the map towards the end of the game and solve the current problem with rambo marines killing off a cyst or two and breaking chains worth 100's of energy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This problem is not existing.
    Aliens can quickly re-drop cysts(chain doesnt die), a single rambo marine gets killed quickly.
  • CannonFodder100CannonFodder100 Join Date: 2011-09-14 Member: 121355Members
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1879815:date=Oct 13 2011, 08:15 PM:name=CannonFodder100)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CannonFodder100 @ Oct 13 2011, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's a croach?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

old suggested name for DI.

I wouldn't mind seeing hives research infestation upgrades. In fact, it would be cool to see the upgrade only affect infestation linked to its origin hive. This would allow aliens to pick a unique upgade to deal with the terrain around each tech point.