Microphone not working

SporkeSporke Join Date: 2011-09-20 Member: 122269Members
I'm sure this has been brought up before but I didn't see it anywhere.

MY microphone doesn't work with NS2 but it does work with anything else. Mumble, TS2, vent, yahoo it works fine but not NS2.

Windows 7 pro x64

Comments

• basti1337basti1337 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98538Members
    Make sure to set your mic to the default input device in windows (NS2 and most games take this one)... I don't know how you've set up your settings in teamspeak, mumble or ventrilo, but in these tools you can choose your mic explicity. So when you set some other device as the default one you won't notice this
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    Yeah I have issues with Mic in game as well,

How do you set up volume for this, is it in:

NS2
    Steam
    Windows?
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    Windows.
    NS2 utilizes the default mic you define in the windows sound settings(should be under your control panel called "Sound" if you have the English version).
    The very same place you adjust the base volume of your mic.
    Good stuff, I'll go check the levels when I get home.

Another question if you can Nixxen, the output levels of the mic that are in NS2 seem to change volume levels with the master volume control in NS2, I'm assuming that their is no way to increase the volume of other people on my end, they would need to increase their mic volume?

Sorry Im at work at the mo, (so clearly all im doing is forum trolling), and don't have access to control panel to check.
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    Aye, you can't do much about incoming voices yet.
    Hopefully this is something that will be fixed sooner rather than later since in the heat of battle any voice com will be garbled and indistinguishable with weapon/chewing sounds blasting through your speakers.
    As it currently is the voices are mixed in with the game sounds and when you reduce the game sound level you also reduce the voice com sound level.

The ultimate solution to this would be to be able to chose which sound unit the voice com should play in(in example right side speaker, and have the other speakers work as normal), but any form of volume control that is separate from the main game volume goes a long way.
    <!--quoteo(post=1876162:date=Sep 21 2011, 09:14 PM:name=Nixxen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nixxen @ Sep 21 2011, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aye, you can't do much about incoming voices yet.
    Hopefully this is something that will be fixed sooner rather than later since in the heat of battle any voice com will be garbled and indistinguishable with weapon/chewing sounds blasting through your speakers.
    As it currently is the voices are mixed in with the game sounds and when you reduce the game sound level you also reduce the voice com sound level.

The ultimate solution to this would be to be able to chose which sound unit the voice com should play in(in example right side speaker, and have the other speakers work as normal), but any form of volume control that is separate from the main game volume goes a long way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good stuff, thats what I figured it was. Perhaps these nice ppe who run servers (that are actually playable on), would like to host TS3/Vent servers that we can use while on them =)
  • amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    edited June 2014
    I have the same problem, mic not working in ns2, but it works fine in all other games / apps - settings in control panel are correct

It seems to be only an issue with build 266, worked ok with 265
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Moved to technical support forums.

@amckern‌ Boooo... Why did you Necro a thread from 3 years ago? The game wasn't even released that year.. :p

Please start a new thread about your issue after you have looked over the stickied thread which explains how to make a good tech support post. Most notably by providing data, like your techsupport.exe zip file.

Do you already have your mic set as your default recording device in Windows sound settings?
  • amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    edited June 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Why did you Necro a thread from 3 years ago?
    It was the first result in Google
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Do you already have your mic set as your default recording device in Windows sound settings?

Yes, as i attempted to explained above

Will follow advice, see new post if req