Diablo 3 Beta giveaway!

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Well, some people would actually thinks so, since they think Diablo is supposed to be ALL GRIMDARK, ALL THE TIME. I remember the rage an early screenshot caused because it had a rainbow in it. THE DIABLO WORLD IS FAR TOO GRIMDARK TO HAVE REFRACTION!
  • Ph0enixPh0enix Join Date: 2002-10-08 Member: 1462Members, Constellation
    Skill calculator is up - <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian" target="_blank">Clickorz!</a>
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1874530:date=Sep 13 2011, 09:12 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 13 2011, 09:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, some people would actually thinks so, since they think Diablo is supposed to be ALL GRIMDARK, ALL THE TIME. I remember the rage an early screenshot caused because it had a rainbow in it. THE DIABLO WORLD IS FAR TOO GRIMDARK TO HAVE REFRACTION!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but it is. Now, if the rainbow had been refracted through Diablo's soul stone just after your character was overcome by the will of evil and forced to pluck it out of a dead boy's head with a knife and then jam it into his own forehead while standing on a mound of naked Succubus corpses at the lowest level of hell, that would be one thing. As long as the rainbow was only shades of red, never of other colors.
  • ZupiCoZupiCo Custom titles rule&#33; Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14792Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1873477:date=Sep 7 2011, 05:57 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Sep 7 2011, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could only add two people so far (Align, ZupiCo... told you invites are very limited. :P) so don't waste time on your bnet account quite yet. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oooh yeaaah! Still haven't heard anything, I'm holding my breath waiting... Thanks a bunch!
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1874556:date=Sep 13 2011, 12:41 PM:name=Ph0enix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ph0enix @ Sep 13 2011, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874556"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skill calculator is up - <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian" target="_blank">Clickorz!</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, that's some satisfyingly cool stuff right there.

Each class has a good number of skills (though you only get to use 6 at a time, which is fine in my books), and there are 5 types of runestones that can alter how the skills work (the alterations vary from minor changes like upping damage, to large changes that alter how the spell acts completely).

Each class also seems to have a different resource mechanic, so playing each class should feel really different.

Oh, and a mess of passive skills, of which you ultimately get of have 3 of.
    I found a D3 invite in my spam folder! From noreply@blizzard.com! ... then it asked me for my battle.net username and password...
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874616:date=Sep 13 2011, 02:35 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 13 2011, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874616"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I found a D3 invite in my spam folder! From noreply@blizzard.com! ... then it asked me for my battle.net username and password...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds legit.
    <!--quoteo(post=1874556:date=Sep 13 2011, 12:41 PM:name=Ph0enix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ph0enix @ Sep 13 2011, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874556"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skill calculator is up - <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian" target="_blank">Clickorz!</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is dumb. What does it even accomplish?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1874879:date=Sep 15 2011, 03:28 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Sep 15 2011, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is dumb. What does it even accomplish?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Relatively so, the better link would be <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/" target="_blank">here</a>

You can click through to each class to see all their skills in one fell swoop.
    I find it rather useless really. I often don't understand what it's doing because I don't know how the game works.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2011
    Actually somewhat excited for this. But then again, I'm also a weirdo(confirmed). <3 Panigg, thanks again for the Cata beta. I'd like this one too if posisble.
    <!--quoteo(post=1874900:date=Sep 15 2011, 06:30 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 15 2011, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find it rather useless really. I often don't understand what it's doing because I don't know how the game works.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's fairly simple....

There are 6 active skill slots, unlocked at levels: 1, 1, 6, 12, 18, 24
    There are 3 passive skill slots unlocked every 10 levels.
    Skills are unlocked at their appropriate level (listed on the skill).
    Runestones modify an active skill, I have no idea how you acquire them (though I'm guessing they are loot drops/vendor purchases)

This is all instead of a skill tree. They stripped out all of the passive bonuses from the tree, and the requirement of traversing the tree to unlock skills (you know, by ditching the tree). Instead skills just get better as you level up, and new ones become available at set levels.

To stop you from being OP and just juggling all of the skills ever, you are capped at using 6 at one time (there are respecs).

Why do we have a Skill calculator? I haven no clue. It is fairly useless, the better information is on the individual class pages.
    I gotta say I'm slightly troubled by this news. I will miss synergies very much. It was always fun planning a character early on, doing the math, and then watching it grow over time. Course, I just had a succession of level 40-50 characters. I never had the stomach for higher play. I blame the fact that I always made retarded but fun builds like charge/smite paladins and throwing barbs (!). Throwing barbs are soooo fun.
    I'm honestly ok with not being able to gimp our characters any more. There is still plenty of room for customization, however, if you discover your build sucks, you aren't screwed any more.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I like the idea of having more than maybe 2 skills that are actually useful and make a dent to the enemies. How that versatility goes with the rest of the Diablo gameplay is another thing of course.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    I like the 'build' approach, it reminds me of Guild Wars, which I started playing again for a while. Just wondering how easy it is to switch from one build to another, how free are you to change stuff if you feel your build is sub-par, etc.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    Beta invites went out. The two people I could add so far should have an email now. :)
    It seems you can swap skills anytime. Once you unlock them you just press S for the skill screen and swap however you like, without restriction.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Uhh... beta is really short btw. You'll have fun for about two hours. ^^
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Per character!
    Also how do I add anyone as friend. Their battle.net account?
    Bnet account... so for me you would add pawejmazur@googlemail.com
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Two people?

*puts hands in pockets, looks at floor and kicks heels*

It..it's not like I wanted to play anyway :C
    So far! There's gonna be more! Just not right away.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1875169:date=Sep 17 2011, 08:50 AM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Sep 17 2011, 08:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So far! There's gonna be more! Just not right away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm in your signature as a registered cultist. LET ME SKIP
    GET BACK IN LINE, PEASANT.
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    edited September 2011
    Simon and Lewis of Yogscast fame have gotten their beta keys and are doing a playthrough of the beta.

First of 4 (so far) parts here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos?blend=1&ob=5#p/u/4/S4qmrZEF-rE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos?ble...u/4/S4qmrZEF-rE</a>

Characters are the the monk and the witchdoctor, which at least to me seem to be the 2 most underwhelming characters choices of the 5 :P Also neither of them seems to have very much knowledge of diablo at all. Still a good watch though.
    Favourite from most to least:

Monk
    Wizard
    Babarian
    Witchdoctor
    Demon Hunter (he just kinda sucks right now...)
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    whenever i do my first playthrough ill start with the wizard. I kinda like the demonhunter as a character idea so ill probably play that second. Monk is third. I kinda dislike both the barbarian and the witchdoctor so no clue which of those ill play after the monk.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    I was thinking Demon Hunter or Monk for my 'go to' class as well :3
    No interest in the Barbarian, don't even know what to think of the Witch doctor and the sorceress just doesn't peak my interest for some reason, though admittedly I've not paid any heed to her powers as of yet.