No players?

AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
Just bought the Beta this morning.

At about 830 AM CST (-6GMT), out of the 30 - 40 or so servers that came up ( would think more would be listed), only 2 of them had players. The grand total of players showing out of all servers was 8 ( yes 6 on one server, 2 on another).

Is there some filter mechanism I can turn off to show full servers, or hide empty servers. Or is there really no one playing NS2 (I find it hard to believe). Even given the early time in the day for most of the US, you would think there would be more than 8 people playing in the entire NS2 beta community

Please help me out, because at the moment, I'm regretting my purchase if all the other servers out there are dead empty... save for 1 or 2 Australian servers.

Comments

• icemaniceman Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14387Members
    It is a beta, and as you said, it's a bit early and the community is worldwide but not that big ATM so you would have dozens of full servers at any given moment, some are waiting for the next build and for more features and fixes since it's been awhile since the last build (not complaining! :-) ). ping in public is not as much of an issue in ns2 (relativity to other games) so you could find American in AUS and EU servers and such, servers do fill all around during the day..
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    player count picks up right after an update, but dies down in a few days at most. last one was Aug 26th, so this is normal.
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    edited September 2011
    It's been some weeks since the last update.
    Population on the servers peak after every new update and then slowly drop.

Only 8 people online does seem rather strange though. Normally when I play(around 2000GMT) there's at least one full server in europe, and some people on at least one US and one Aus server.
    After a patch you'll be having trouble finding a spot on any server with consistent tickrate.

As for the number of servers. We're not that large of a community continuously playing the game. There's quite a few preorders sold, but not everyone is playing in the beta so more servers would be redundant.

Edit: Ninja'd <.<
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    You can find a server list on this site <a href="http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/" target="_blank">play4dead.com/ns2</a>
    if it would help you.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Server population picks up right after patches and during the weekend. Though, you can usually still find a full server or two during the evening hours EST midweek.
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    Thanks for all the replies. I had just assumed that the game is just soo good from all the stuff from NS2HD and what I've been reading that people would and to play all the time.

I guess people really just beta the updates, play for a few days, then go back to their other games.
  • LORFCASTERLORFCASTER Join Date: 2010-06-13 Member: 72049Members
    Build 185 has some of the lowest player counts out of the last 10 - 15 builds. The current patch introduced changes / fixes that led to a decent performance <u>drop</u> for almost everyone or everyone in the game.
    I bet player counts will make a sharp rise in the next few patches since i assume performance will be returned to pre-B185 (or better) levels, plus the addition of new features / fixes.
  • Boxer`DBoxer`D Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112532Members
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874569:date=Sep 13 2011, 12:05 PM:name=Alchemda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alchemda @ Sep 13 2011, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for all the replies. I had just assumed that the game is just soo good from all the stuff from NS2HD and what I've been reading that people would and to play all the time.

I guess people really just beta the updates, play for a few days, then go back to their other games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

for all intents and purposes the current "beta" can pretty much be considered an alpha. it's a bit misleading since "betas" these days are just previews for games or server stress tests.

come back in a year, the game will probably be in a decent beta state then.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Yea its a shame all these newcomers arrive in probably the worst time to try out the beta, build 185 significantly lowered everyone's framerates.

It's not too bad for myself since i already had pretty high framerates, but i hear people who had 40-60 fps in build 184, drop down to below 10, practically unplayable.

Its understandable why this build in particular has taken a dip in player counts at any given moments, since people are less likely to keep playing for a few weeks with a lack-luster fps.
  • SlappySlappy Join Date: 2011-09-09 Member: 120615Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874598:date=Sep 13 2011, 01:47 PM:name=LORFCASTER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LORFCASTER @ Sep 13 2011, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Build 185 has some of the lowest player counts out of the last 10 - 15 builds. The current patch introduced changes / fixes that led to a decent performance <u>drop</u> for almost everyone or everyone in the game.
    I bet player counts will make a sharp rise in the next few patches since i assume performance will be returned to pre-B185 (or better) levels, plus the addition of new features / fixes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. I usually only play during the weekends and don't have trouble finding at least 6-8 players on a server late at night or at least 1 or two 14-16 player servers during US peak.....but the performance hit of 185 coupled with the fact that pretty much every game I played either lasts 3 minutes or 3 hours has driven people away recently.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    funny thing is i had 40 fps on the laptop i have before the patch and after the patch i still got 30-40 fps my only problem is memory on this thing when i close ns2 anything that uses flash or java stops responding and the programs take like 10 mins to recover.
    I'm not sure about it before 185 as I'm new to the game, but the only thing that I get that is super annoying is hitching.. Where the entire game freezes for a second or 2, then operates normally. My FPS is fine, but I hitch when I turn a corner and it loads a room, or I go from Commander mode to FPS mode. Basically any time it has to load geometry or something.

Super annoying.
  • Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
    can you tell us what your rig is? videocard, cpu and stuff and on what server you were playing?
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874693:date=Sep 14 2011, 04:19 PM:name=Trainee.ger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trainee.ger @ Sep 14 2011, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can you tell us what your rig is? videocard, cpu and stuff and on what server you were playing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's always rig related. It's never the fault of the software.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    The current state of the game; patch 185, has a lot of networking bottlenecks that restricts your game severely. Also since 185 has been out for weeks, the game is stagnating, people are getting angry/bored and just aren't playing anymore. Hopefully we will see 186 shortly.
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1874697:date=Sep 14 2011, 10:39 AM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Sep 14 2011, 10:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's always rig related. It's never the fault of the software.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Generally I would think so, however, I can play Crysis 2, Space Marine, Bullet Storm, Dead Island, Deus EX with NO hitching whatsoever. You'd think If I can play other graphically intense games at near or possibly better visual fidelity than NS2 I would get the same results.

However that is not the case, therefore it is something with the engine optimization me thinks. I have a feeling this will only get better as they streamline the graphics pipe of the engine.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz
    8800GTX 1Gb
    6Gb 1066 DDR2
    Raptor 10,000 RPM drive

Server: US Chicago server, average 60-100 ping.
  • Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874697:date=Sep 14 2011, 09:39 AM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Sep 14 2011, 09:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's always rig related. It's never the fault of the software.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that was not the point.

you start to get offensivly to quick my son
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874701:date=Sep 14 2011, 11:53 AM:name=Alchemda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alchemda @ Sep 14 2011, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Generally I would think so, however, I can play Crysis 2, Space Marine, Bullet Storm, Dead Island, Deus EX with NO hitching whatsoever. You'd think If I can play other graphically intense games at near or possibly better visual fidelity than NS2 I would get the same results.

However that is not the case, therefore it is something with the engine optimization me thinks. I have a feeling this will only get better as they streamline the graphics pipe of the engine.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz
    8800GTX 1Gb
    6Gb 1066 DDR2
    Raptor 10,000 RPM drive

Server: US Chicago server, average 60-100 ping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If its a bug, it'll be fixed, most likely in the next patch. I don't know enough about programming or etc. but I think its just this current build. Build 186 will be here soon. The progress page is almost done. And if they're possibly taking a break, they deserve it. Have peace.
    It's a bug that has existed since day one.
    <!--quoteo(post=1874705:date=Sep 14 2011, 11:28 AM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Sep 14 2011, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a bug that has existed since day one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whew!
  • RacecapRacecap Join Date: 2011-09-11 Member: 120897Members
    Personally I haven't played some weeks, since I'm kinda busy and playing other games e.g Red Orchestra 2 and so on. BF3 is very close as well so that will take me further away from NS2 for awhile. But when I used to play usually there were 3 servers filled/half filled (usually 1 completely full) with people (played in EU timezone tho).
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874706:date=Sep 14 2011, 11:29 AM:name=Alchemda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alchemda @ Sep 14 2011, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whew!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not the case at all. I can't comment on whether or not there is an actual "hitching" problem because of all the problems I've heard of it's never been that specific.

Your CPU sucks. My old CPU was a C2D e6750 and ran NS2 like an absolute pile of ######. NS2 barely calls on the video card for anything so that isn't your bottleneck.

You're probably going to get very little enjoyment out of the game with the FPS you'd get (not including the fairly limited gameplay). As I said before, unless you plan on upgrading to an i5 or i7 I'd shelve NS2 for at least a year.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1874701:date=Sep 14 2011, 08:53 AM:name=Alchemda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alchemda @ Sep 14 2011, 08:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Generally I would think so, however, I can play Crysis 2, Space Marine, Bullet Storm, Dead Island, Deus EX with NO hitching whatsoever. You'd think If I can play other graphically intense games at near or possibly better visual fidelity than NS2 I would get the same results.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz
    8800GTX 1Gb
    6Gb 1066 DDR2
    Raptor 10,000 RPM drive

Server: US Chicago server, average 60-100 ping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS2 is very CPU intensive right now, so a 2.6GHz is probably not going to give a good gaming experience (e.g. low framerate, lag, or hitching, depending on the circumstances) right now. 3.0GHz is more reasonable based on the current beta. However, performance will improve and most of these issues will go away.

Also, what you described sounds more like rubberbanding, which may be a result of the server being stressed. The next time this happens type 'net_stats' in the console and watch the server rate. Ideally, it should stay at 30, but anything over 20 is playable. However, if it drops below 20 (or below 10), you'll start to see lots of lag issues.
    <!--quoteo(post=1874716:date=Sep 14 2011, 12:20 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 14 2011, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is very CPU intensive right now, so a 2.6GHz is probably not going to give a good gaming experience (e.g. low framerate, lag, or hitching, depending on the circumstances) right now. 3.0GHz is more reasonable based on the current beta. However, performance will improve and most of these issues will go away.

Also, what you described sounds more like rubberbanding, which may be a result of the server being stressed. The next time this happens type 'net_stats' in the console and watch the server rate. Ideally, it should stay at 30, but anything over 20 is playable. However, if it drops below 20 (or below 10), you'll start to see lots of lag issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is not rubber banding, definitely not network related. I don't move forward, then zoom back to a previous location. I move my view port, the entire game freezes (tab doesn't bring score board, or map doesn't come up. If I do a 360 in a particular room, the issue goes away till I view something that I haven't viewed before. Given that It almost seems like a Ram issue and that it is thrashing the HDD for textures and things.. <shrug>

As far as my CPU, when I'm not hitching, I get about 30-40 FPS, easily playable in fire fights and things like that, it's mainly the hitching that's the problem. (I've experienced hitching in other games, like some MMO's where it loads the "world chunk" of a zone I just entered)

I believe it comes down to the render pipeline will WAIT for a resource to load before drawing the screen again. Again I can play Crysis 2 on DX10 at almost full settings, and get 30fps with no hitching so it has to be an engine issue. As mentioned before said MMO with hitching issue, resolved the problem 3 months later by rewriting some things in their graphics engine, with no hardware change or driver change on my end.

Ohh well, lets hope that the kink gets worked out and 186 brings more players.
    It's the LUA not being processed quick enough.
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1874739:date=Sep 14 2011, 03:35 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Sep 14 2011, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's the LUA not being processed quick enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

INTERESTING!! so wait.. the entire game is coded in LUA.. not C++ or Java or Python..?

WOW thats odd...

I'll try a 3.0 OC and see what happens
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nah not everything is LUA. A bit is also C.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1874740:date=Sep 14 2011, 03:40 PM:name=Alchemda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alchemda @ Sep 14 2011, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->INTERESTING!! so wait.. the entire game is coded in LUA.. not C++ or Java or Python..?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, the <i>game logic</i> is entirely or almost entirely coded in LUA, but obviously all the heavy lifting is spun off into C++. You don't do ray casting in LUA(for bullets, visibility tests etc.); LUA determines that this hydra should cast this ray toward an enemy player to see if it can shoot them, but it calls some c++ utility function to the actual work.

It's a bit like the quake engine; which had a separate, interpreted scripting language(QuakeC) in which capture the flag etc. was implemented.