More damage on himself with the grenade launcher.

TekJTekJ Join Date: 2011-08-13 Member: 116212Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What do you think about that ?</div>I understand the developers research a context of a mature realism of this game (Yes, okay, a game with aliens is not real life, but it's science fiction, which I remind the definition: what could be the future or unknown worlds starting from the current knowledge).

For that, a grenade thrown at our feet, does not cause more damage? I would not say it would have to cause death, however <b>some players find pleasure in throwing their own grenade at their feet to get rid of some skulk,</b> but it would be quite possible to make so that a grenade exploding at close range (and launched by us) is killing us. And, depending on the distance we take much more damage. It is a grenade not an apple ( from the current knowledge :D ).

My idea is so simple: more damage when the grenade is close, 100 to 120 hit points of damage to our own grenade thrown at our feet (50/60cm).

What do you think ?

Comments

• BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited August 2011
    dude it already does check again and stop hating just cause it kills skulks easly
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Splashback grenade damage is currently quite significant, when a skulk attacks a gl equipped marine, he pretty much knows he's dead in close quarters, so he may as well try to take the skulk with him. Considering the resource cost for the weapon, and lack of cost for the skulk generally, it's a viable strategy that should remain in the game as is.
  • TekJTekJ Join Date: 2011-08-13 Member: 116212Members
    Drop a grenade at your feet without dying don't pose any problem? For me, the grenade launcher is used for the hive, and the gorge back up. No matter the cost, if a marine is alone with a 2 skulk it is because strategically he had nothing to do there.
  • King CowKing Cow Join Date: 2011-07-28 Member: 112663Members
    Dont these weapons in real life have some sort of min distance they have to travel before they explode? I would not mind this in the game it would also be a bonus for marines, preventing a nade hitting the back of a team mate and blowing up in your face.....
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    If you've gotten to the point that you have 2 skulks biting at your ankles and you know your already about to die, then yes we instinctively want to launch our own grenade at our feet, and usually, at least from the matches i've played, the grenade usually kills the person who does it, since the grenade itself does 150 damage, and only a marine at full health and with armor would survive it, which means all the skulk would have to do to ensure that the marine doesn't survive is to get at least one bite in.

If a marine manages to shoot a grenade too his feet at a skulk, who hasn't gotten a single bite on him, and considering he spent 20 res on his gun, i don't think its that big of a deal if he survives. Yes it feels cheap for the skulk that dies, but i'm sure most players wouldn't feel its any more cheap than getting killed by a fade right now.
  • TekJTekJ Join Date: 2011-08-13 Member: 116212Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871860:date=Aug 29 2011, 04:15 PM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Aug 29 2011, 04:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the grenade usually kills the person who does it, since the grenade itself does 150 damage<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't know.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Most of the time that I do this, I die. Sometimes, I don't even take the skulk with me, so I view it as fair.
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871905:date=Aug 29 2011, 08:56 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 29 2011, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of the time that I do this, I die. Sometimes, I don't even take the skulk with me, so I view it as fair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really ?
    I've stopped counting the times I've got killed as a skulk like that and the marine survived. At some point in the round, marines stop aiming they spam nades all over the place and even the best hidden skulks waiting to ambush or the great hydras garden are wiped out in seconds.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    rofl it does kill you if it lands directly at your feet think about it like this there is enough time for a marine to get out of the way so it is not directly at his feet when it goes off when that happens he has about 5-10 health and can be killed easily its all about timing. and most likely if you died as a skulk he timed it so you would or like you said. i have seen several people spamming the crap out of the gl for no reason in the marine base in summit and they wont stop no matter what you tell them.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    If you're going to die to an alien melee attack as a marine with gl, aim at your feet, jump and shoot. If you do suicide you prevent them from getting the res, and if you get the kill, well good for you!
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1872086:date=Aug 30 2011, 04:49 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Aug 30 2011, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're going to die to an alien melee attack as a marine with gl, aim at your feet, jump and shoot. If you do suicide you prevent them from getting the res, and if you get the kill, well good for you!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How's that a good thing ? It's not Kamikaze Selection.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1872094:date=Aug 30 2011, 04:28 PM:name=Ender_74)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ender_74 @ Aug 30 2011, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How's that a good thing ? It's not Kamikaze Selection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Look into the Darwin awards.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1871859:date=Aug 29 2011, 09:44 AM:name=King Cow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King Cow @ Aug 29 2011, 09:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dont these weapons in real life have some sort of min distance they have to travel before they explode? I would not mind this in the game it would also be a bonus for marines, preventing a nade hitting the back of a team mate and blowing up in your face.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, already discussed and ignored <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114672" target="_blank">here</a>, the safety measure would prevent the at-your-feet explosion from ever occurring and stop the use of such suicide tactics while, as you say, protect the marines from unintentional bounce-back explosions.