How much sense would a battleship map make?

LoftlessLoftless Join Date: 2007-09-16 Member: 62332Members
I've been working on a battleship style layout. Basically a ship stranded in space, where the aliens have infested the drive control, stopping the ship from being able to run. Marines start at bridge, near crew quarters, etc.

Question is: How much sense do you think resource nodes would make on a battleship? My only real justification would be such that the resource nodes would be tapping into the resource reserves on the lower levels of the ship.

That's the only real issue I'm having so far, being that I don't want to end up framing and building, just to find out that it feels kind of stupid with such a theme.

Thanks for any input :)

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited August 2011
    In space, warships use nanomachines to manufacture whatever ammunition is required for the guns, as it can be difficult to know what kind of guns will be used at any given time. Given the efficiency of nano-fabrication, it is much easier to simply supply the ship with a large amount of generic nano-gel and have it fabricate whatever it needs on site. The same technology is also used to create replacement armor and components for the ship's systems as well as any materials needed for scientific studies in the ship's labs military research labs.

There, I wrote your fluff for you.
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Or perhaps the resource nozzles have a dual purpose of spreading the nanobots in the air that allow the comm to "drop" structures.
  • LoftlessLoftless Join Date: 2007-09-16 Member: 62332Members
    Haha, you're awesome. It was more a query of whether it was a bad idea or not. But thanks :)

Just looking into the feasibility of such an idea. I think I shall move forwards with it. Thanks again.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Decks, layout and of course levels should all resemble a valid and believable ship layout. I made one for NS, quite the task to make it look like a ship :P
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    one of the issues that I had when I was designing mine is the fact that you can only really do one deck only, as you can't place decks below or above it as the comm would not be able to see the decks below the top one.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    ns_nancy was a spaceship.
    And one of my favourite maps!
  • Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
    or ns_nexus. check it out :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1871631:date=Aug 28 2011, 07:28 AM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Aug 28 2011, 07:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->one of the issues that I had when I was designing mine is the fact that you can only really do one deck only, as you can't place decks below or above it as the comm would not be able to see the decks below the top one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What I did was have the decks flow around rooms on other decks, for instance the starboard section was on level2 while the port section was on level1. So because the ship was symmetrical, the rooms on the decks below or above it could be "seen" by having the hallways wrap around them. However, because both sides of the map were on different levels. The map wasn't 100% symmetrical, but it did hint at a larger area then visible.

The other decks were visible at certain areas due to damaged sections. Inaccessible detail, making the player believe the map is much bigger behind the scenes (behind the walls and locked doors so to speak :P)

Sidenote:
    Wasn't bast a space ship as well, Nostromo theme is there and it has a bridge... Bast was quite a weird looking spaceship though, but hell the Nostromo was a weird city/refinery type of ship as well :P
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    The nostromo was a fairly small ship, the giant thing behind it was a space refinery it was towing around.

The actual ship is the thing that detaches when they go down to the planet.

Although why it has a space helicopter in one of its hangars I don't know.
    Yeah, I always seem to get them mixed up. Nostromo is a tug ship, towing a very expensive and explosive refinery :P