Add distance/timing setting for Grenade Launchers

PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">Like a dial so you can adjust the distance the grenade will go</div>Just and idea but it would be cool to Add distance/timing setting for Grenade Launchers....Like a dial so you can adjust the distance the grenade will go

Sometimes you want to shoot a long grenade some times you want a short fast grenade....

Comments

• Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    if it would be implemented, one way is to simply have holding the right mouse-button charging the gl, and fire upon release.
  • jergodzjergodz Join Date: 2011-05-20 Member: 99745Members
    Meh, just make em explode on impact again but add min distance to explode and decrease range damage for players, meaning its not good for blowing up yourself and all the skulks around you but still a very effective ranged asskicker. Since marines just shoot a nade against the wall next to them when they panic right now, effectively killing everything around them, wich is kinda stupid.

Perhaps you can hold it down to make it bounce around a little, like in unreal 2. That nade launcher was awesome..
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    explode on impact takes away the ability to lob them on walls/beams etc to hit things outside your LOS.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd still like the ability to have them bounce around corners. That's why I think an adjustable fuse would accommodate both. With some good timing, you could adjust the fuse length to almost detonate on impact, but still allow people to crank up the fuse time so they can bounce em around corners. It would add a skill component to using the GL.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869974:date=Aug 19 2011, 03:31 AM:name=jergodz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jergodz @ Aug 19 2011, 03:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869974"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh, just make em explode on impact again but add min distance to explode and decrease range damage for players, meaning its not good for blowing up yourself and all the skulks around you but still a very effective ranged asskicker.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1869999:date=Aug 19 2011, 06:13 AM:name=Taxen0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Taxen0 @ Aug 19 2011, 06:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->explode on impact takes away the ability to lob them on walls/beams etc to hit things outside your LOS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would be 100% satisfied with what jergodz proposed, but for those people that like bounce I propose a merger of these ideas:

1. min-arming damage to prevent the grenade exploding within 15-20ft of shooter.

2. Explode on impact with anything (walls, crates, aliens etc) as standard mode.

3. Alt-fire proximity detonation mode. Grenade explodes in flight when it is within range of an enemy structure or alien. If no alien/structure is encountered then the grenade bounces + delayed detonation.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Or use the Dystopia system.

On-hit before bounce = explode
    Timeout = explode
    While grenade in the air hold down right-click/alt-fire, after a slight delay grenade becomes explode on impact
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    I don't like exploding on impact in NS. For me exploding on impact = close range rocket launcher
  • KaineKaine Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1096Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1870166:date=Aug 20 2011, 07:40 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Aug 20 2011, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like exploding on impact in NS. For me exploding on impact = close range rocket launcher<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. The only way "explode on impact" (be it on impact with organics or anything) should be implemented is with full damage for everything in blast range ie/ shoot an Onos in the face point blank and you blow yourself up. Grenade launchers to me should be a support weapon, good for area denial and indirect fire (so bouncing off walls is a good thing!) not for beserker-mode run around spamming explode-on-contact grenades at everything that moves.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1870336:date=Aug 21 2011, 07:14 AM:name=Kaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kaine @ Aug 21 2011, 07:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This. The only way "explode on impact" (be it on impact with organics or anything) should be implemented is with full damage for everything in blast range ie/ shoot an Onos in the face <u>point blank and you blow yourself up.</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We're asking for a minimum arming distance to accompany explode-with-everthing-on-impact. What that means is it's not possible to blow yourself up or shoot anything point blank. The idea is, if the player shoots the GL at close range (regardless of what it hits, whether it be a wall or alien), that all you see is a dud-grenade fly out of the barrel... hit the wall/alien/anything and just sit there (<b>no explosion at all</b>). Alternatively, the freekin future-space-marine weapon should be smart enough to NOT FIRE if the range is too close. Their's plenty of games with 40mm grenades that feature this safe-arming distance... no excuse for anyone to not know what it is. In fact NS2-early-beta was the first game i can recall that had both explode on impact, NO safe arming distance, and NO friendly fire, which is probably why everyone has this "omg we tried this... it was so badd" reaction where explode on impact must always mean: "<b>beserker-mode run around spamming explode-on-contact grenades at everything that moves</b>".

I say we add hand grenades to the game so all the players that want bounce-back-in-your-face fun grenades get what they want. And everyone else can get what they expect from a grenade launcher. Perhaps give the current maximum shooting range of the grenade launcher to the hand-thrown grenades, and give the 40mm grenades a flat trajectory.
  • I LOVE NSI LOVE NS Join Date: 2011-08-22 Member: 117913Members
    Can't the engine just simulate impact damage on the grenades?