need assitance cannot find any servers

louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
<div class="IPBDescription">help</div>ns2 is open, checked firewall and i have ns2 allowed through my firewall.

when i go to the "join game" section in ns2 it shows how many servers there are but it doesnt show any, it just displayed nothing and thus i had nothing to click on to and join.

no idea what happening. anyone knows?

Comments

• SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818739:date=Dec 23 2010, 07:45 AM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Dec 23 2010, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ns2 is open, checked firewall and i have ns2 allowed through my firewall.

when i go to the "join game" section in ns2 it shows how many servers there are but it doesnt show any, it just displayed nothing and thus i had nothing to click on to and join.

no idea what happening. anyone knows?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've always had the same issue, no servers showing. However, once in a while you get to see 1 random server, but it's gone the next time I search for servers.
    What you can do is to use the console to join servers, with:

connect ###.##.###.###:#####
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    then how would i know the server's adress to connect to? help more please, so far thanks.
    When I did get a (good) server on the list, e.g. the ArmoryChamber servers. I joined them and wrote down the IP from the console when trying to connect to them.
    Try joining the ArmoryChamber servers and see if it works

ArmoryChamber #1
    188.40.104.240:27020

ArmoryChamber #2
    188.40.104.242:27030

so that would be:

"connect 188.40.104.240:27020"
    in console
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    How strange.

What happens if you click in the space where servers should be? Does something select even though its not visible?
    No, there aren't any servers showing at all, at least not for me.
    Though, sometimes 1 random server is shown, and if you keep refreshing new servers will eventually show up (one being exchanged for the other). I have no idea why this is the case for me, I've enabled NS2 through the FW aswell as forwarded my ports.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    What region of the world are you playing from?
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    It could be a problem on some file(s).
    The desperate and most effective way to solve it is delete the game content and re-install it. Some times when you originally download the game some files got corrupted, and if you don't know which files are it is better to do a clean install.
    <!--quoteo(post=1818760:date=Dec 23 2010, 11:22 AM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Dec 23 2010, 11:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What region of the world are you playing from?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sweden

<!--quoteo(post=1818762:date=Dec 23 2010, 11:24 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 23 2010, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It could be a problem on some file(s).
    The desperate and most effective way to solve it is delete the game content and re-install it. Some times when you originally download the game some files got corrupted, and if you don't know which files are it is better to do a clean install.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I guess I could try that:)
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    edited December 2010
    .... i need help man... both of the servers you gave me are full.

thanks smasher but its FULL, BOTH OF THEM =( and i JUST BOUGHT THE GAME >.<

by the way... did the re-install solve the problem with the servers not showing up on the list? HELP =(
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1818773:date=Dec 23 2010, 12:11 PM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Dec 23 2010, 12:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.... i need help man... both of the servers you gave me are full.

thanks smasher but its FULL, BOTH OF THEM =( and i JUST BOUGHT THE GAME >.<

by the way... did the re-install solve the problem with the servers not showing up on the list? HELP =(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just be patient;) a lot of people play a few days after a patch (B160), I'm sure you'll be able to join eventually. I got in last night even though the servers were full almost all the time.

I'm still DLing, a few more % to go:)
    I'll post if it worked after I've tried it out (soon).

Edit:
    Nope, still same as before:\
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    There's really only one way to check and see if it's a networking issue on your end. If you're using a router, disconnect your router and connect your PC directly to your cable/dsl modem. Turn off any 3rd party or Windows firewalls on your machine. Then, launch NS2 and see if you can see any servers. If you can't, it must be a bug with the game. If you can, it's one of your network settings.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    bump.

For the first time ever, after starting NS2 I had zero servers listed.

I immediately opened Wireshark (packet sniffer) and noticed all of its query attempts were for the broadcast LAN address, instead of including internet servers (perhaps my PC didn't know of any servers yet).

I simply waited a few minutes and hit refresh a few more times, and then the servers appeared.

So perhaps the Steam server list master failed to send me a server list quick enough, or there was a game bug? Very first time I had this happen, but it resolved itself after a few minutes.
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    Best would be to report the issue to getsatisfaction, especially now that we know where it's coming from ;)
  • sLiMsLiM Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31244Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1819967:date=Dec 29 2010, 06:06 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Dec 29 2010, 06:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bump.

For the first time ever, after starting NS2 I had zero servers listed.

I immediately opened Wireshark (packet sniffer) and noticed all of its query attempts were for the broadcast LAN address, instead of including internet servers (perhaps my PC didn't know of any servers yet).

I simply waited a few minutes and hit refresh a few more times, and then the servers appeared.

So perhaps the Steam server list master failed to send me a server list quick enough, or there was a game bug? Very first time I had this happen, but it resolved itself after a few minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hi, I have the same problem but it doesn't help if I wait a few minutes and then hit refresh.

All the ports are open in my router, and ns.exe is open in windows firewall. I have reinstalled NS2 and Steam. I have even tryed without my router. But nothing helps.

Then I installed Wireshark, and when I hit the refresh button in NS2 I see ~10 lines of "source: 192.168.1.67 destinaton: 255.255.255.255 UDP 67 Source port: 59571 Destination port: 26901"

is that right?
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    The only server you all should be connecting to is the Anagram Chicago servers, just saying :)

btw - the only reason I can think of this happening is steam is running into a hiccup of some sort trying to retrieve the master list.
  • ZableZable Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17037Members
    I've been getting this problem as well. I never used to have this happen, but it popped up about two patches ago.
  • TheDamageTheDamage Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7348Members
    edited August 2011
  • TheDamageTheDamage Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7348Members
    I had this issue. I solved it by starting a server. Start your own server->ESC->Join you now have a server list again. I had to do this once. This bug hit me in 183. It is documented and the solution is posted on getsatisfaction in multiple threads.

<a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/build_183_found_0_servers_finland" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...servers_finland</a>