Change default mini-map key

JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">Kinda simple, but hear me out</div>Just an idea to help new players out, I think it would be better if by default the minimap key was set to mouse 3(yeah some mice dont have mouse 3, but the vast majority do have it, and the default key could be mouse 3 and C as well, in case they dont have m3). It is something that I have used for years, and it helps out alot, primarily because you dont have to move one of your fingers off the wasd keys, you just have to hold down mouse 3 and you can keep your map open and move around and see exactly where you are going on the minimap. It also helps to find hiding skulks, because even if you dont see them on your screen, youll see the icon on the minimap. As soon as I started using m3 as my minimap key I usually never had to learn the maps any more, I could just freely navigate with the map open, since I still had all my movement keys available.

Sort of a simple idea, and everyone will end up changing their setups to fit them. I just think that by making it the default key, they could see the advantage of it right away, instead of listening to the commander scream at them to go somewhere, only to watch them go in the completely wrong direction. It may be a simple way to smooth the learning curve of NS.

Personally, I cant think of a better use of mouse 3, but maybe im missing something, what do you guys bind to m3?

Comments

• IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    Reload.

I don't mind the default being c, it would be better to be q but it doesn't really matter as most will change it anyways
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I changed mine to m because I'm so used to that in other games. Old habits die hard.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    m is so common so most new players will probably try that one, so I think it should stay there.
    Personally I have it on Tab, I don't like to bind things to mouse 3 in general, but mouse 4 or 5 gets a bind sometimes.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I rebind it to my middle mouse button, that way I can look and still move around while looking at the thing... "m" was, odd for me at least...