Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Trailer

HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
edited August 2011 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">....WHAT.</div><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NDDfPxF3EFE"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NDDfPxF3EFE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
<div align='center'><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE</a></div>
I have been a Battlefield fan for a long time. When the Thunder Run trailers at E3 got aired, my jaw dropped. I thought I was prepared for anything that came after...but no. No. No.

I wasn't.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I don't think taking highlights out of an unknown number of multiplayer games is indicative of final typical gameplay
    Anyway, [insert planetside comparison here]
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869398:date=Aug 16 2011, 10:46 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 16 2011, 10:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think taking highlights out of an unknown number of multiplayer games is indicative of final typical gameplay
    Anyway, [insert planetside comparison here]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Skepticism noted. But honestly, those moments were never uncommon in a Battlefield round. They were just never that...visceral.

And if Planetside has monthly subscriptions, then no thanks. I'll stick with DUST 514 for that kind of thing.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    BF always looked really cool. Never a game I liked tho. Not saying it's bad, but I've always felt that the large battlefields have too much of a downtime after a death, where the smaller maps of COD give you the same amount of action but packed more tightly.

Just a preference thing I guess.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Cautiously optimistic, hope EA/DICE don't screw it up.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    I said it before and I'll say it again... World War 2 is and will always be a better setting due to the lower tech and slower speeds of vehicles, which will cover up the arcade feel this has to some extend.

Have the Forgotten Hope devs revamp their failed FH2 onto this engine and it would be awesomesauceEXTREME!!! (that is if this engine is easy to mod, which EA/DICE never really liked in the first place...
    <!--quoteo(post=1869423:date=Aug 16 2011, 02:03 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 16 2011, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I said it before and I'll say it again... World War 2 is and will always be a better setting due to the lower tech and slower speeds of vehicles, which will cover up the arcade feel this has to some extend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is why you set a game in the future then you can just make up whatever you want.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    Yay for jets.

If there wasn't an NDA on the alpha, I'd mention how pretty neat it was and how going back to Bad Company 2 already feels wonky.
    <!--quoteo(post=1869429:date=Aug 16 2011, 02:17 PM:name=JediYoshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JediYoshi @ Aug 16 2011, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yay for jets.

If there wasn't an NDA on the alpha, I'd mention how pretty neat it was and how going back to Bad Company 2 already feels wonky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Does BF3 has the same system requirements as BFBC2?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1869400:date=Aug 16 2011, 06:49 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Aug 16 2011, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skepticism noted. But honestly, those moments were never uncommon in a Battlefield round. They were just never that...visceral.

And if Planetside has monthly subscriptions, then no thanks. I'll stick with DUST 514 for that kind of thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? I never saw anything like that in a battlefield round, I saw lots of it in every trailer for a battlefield game, but never ingame, probably because the trailers are obviously staged.

I don't see anything that impressive honestly, looks like BC2 with kane and lynch lens flares stuck all over it.
    edited August 2011
    Other then the formation flying which would never happen in a BF game the trailer didn't look overly stages to me. What it was, however, was organized, not representative of what you would find in a public game but if you join a tournament you would see plenty of coordinated player movements.

Edit: I see you can download BF3 from EA's Origin, has any one here used the client? Is it worth going that route or should I just buy it on DVD? (if I buy it that is)
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1869455:date=Aug 16 2011, 02:08 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 16 2011, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? I never saw anything like that in a battlefield round, I saw lots of it in every trailer for a battlefield game, but never ingame, probably because the trailers are obviously staged.

I don't see anything that impressive honestly, looks like BC2 with kane and lynch lens flares stuck all over it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you referring to the Bad Company Series? Because... I've never played those.
  • A_Boojum_SnarkA_Boojum_Snark Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1869423:date=Aug 16 2011, 01:03 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 16 2011, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I said it before and I'll say it again... World War 2 is and will always be a better setting due to the lower tech and slower speeds of vehicles, which will cover up the arcade feel this has to some extend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Funny you say that, since when I saw the jets (especially from the ground) all I could think of is "...those are moving so slow they almost seem to float"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869462:date=Aug 16 2011, 10:02 PM:name=A_Boojum_Snark)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A_Boojum_Snark @ Aug 16 2011, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny you say that, since when I saw the jets (especially from the ground) all I could think of is "...those are moving so slow they almost seem to float"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hmm you thought I was going on about the slow speed of the jets in BF2/BF3 covering up the arcade feel it has? I meant the slower speed of the WW2 vehicles will cover up this arcade feel :)

The "modern warfare" theme just makes it look like ###### and actually enforces the arcade feel. Hence WW2 planes are better suited for things like this. Besides they sound a bazillion times more awesome :P

[edit]
    oh oh and Forgotten Hope has a imagined map called Alpenfestung which has WW2 jets (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_262" target="_blank">Schwalbe</a>, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_163" target="_blank">Komet</a>, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_Ho_229" target="_blank">Gotha Go 229</a>), and they are FRIGGING FAST! So apparently they also did that better then Dice :P

God I miss that game :(
  • A_Boojum_SnarkA_Boojum_Snark Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20628Members
    Nah, I got what you meant. I just thought it was interesting that we focused on opposite ends of the same issue. I feel the abnormally slow speed of the jets would... "ruin" it for me more than the fast speed of everything in general making it arcadey.
    Heh, yeah well... Slower then IRL jets ruin the experience and then some if you ask me. These jets are WAAAAY to slow and look moronic (stall issues galore), either don't add jets or add jets that are fast (map size problems most likely)

That is the main reason I'm saying the 600-800km/h speed of prop planes is awesome for this kind of dogfighting and longrange bombing intercepting FH did so well and looks less "arcady". Slow dog-fighting jets... not so much :/

Ah well, something like FH will probably never been seen again... The game looks awesome though (graphics wise)
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1869400:date=Aug 16 2011, 07:49 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Aug 16 2011, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skepticism noted. But honestly, those moments were never uncommon in a Battlefield round. They were just never that...visceral.

And if Planetside has monthly subscriptions, then no thanks. I'll stick with DUST 514 for that kind of thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would be interested in that if it weren't a console game.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1869458:date=Aug 16 2011, 02:37 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Aug 16 2011, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Edit: I see you can download BF3 from EA's Origin, has any one here used the client? Is it worth going that route or should I just buy it on DVD? (if I buy it that is)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're downloading and using Origin either way, even if you purchase it through other DD services. It works in tandem with their site (Battlelog) which acts as the server browser and stats page.

I believe the system requirements are the same, if you run BC2 fine, you'll be able to at some setting run BF3 at the same performance.
    I really enjoyed Silent Heroes for BF42, ground vehicles and helicopters, no jets.

It was a really well made mod too but never had a very large player base.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I can't wait to get back to proper 'Battlefield' as every 'Battlefield' after BF2 has been subpar. I'm getting some new computer equipment for this game just to make sure my rig can handle everything.

My one wish is for the attack chopper pilot and gunner to have an near identical set up to how it was in BF2.

Also if you're buying BF3 through Origin you should be aware of a potential 25% discount. If your "brother's" birthday is coming up have him make an Origin account a few days before. EA will send a 25% off coupon to whatever e-mail account your 'brother' used. If your 'brother' really likes you, he may give you the coupon and you can use it on your account. My brother liked me.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869462:date=Aug 16 2011, 10:02 PM:name=A_Boojum_Snark)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A_Boojum_Snark @ Aug 16 2011, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny you say that, since when I saw the jets (especially from the ground) all I could think of is "...those are moving so slow they almost seem to float"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    An unfortunate compromise - BF2 showed that jet aircraft implemented as they "should" be (fast, high altitude, maneuverable, lethal) simply doesn't work - they're too far removed from the ability of anyone on the ground to affect them, while they just fly orbits between the carrier and a flag point, dropping loads of munitions, ending the game with 92 kills and 1 death from a guy who TKd you on the runway to steal your plane (and then crashed it into a tree).
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Maybe if it was available on Steam. EA pulling their titles so they can greed more on DLC means a boycott on all new EA games for me. Really a shame, as I enjoy the NFS series.. though also will not put up with their always-connected DRM BS either, so no real loss anyway, as it appears someone high up has a severe rectocranial infarction as far as THAT brass turd goes.
    Enough players refuse to install their buggy POS Origin, they'll fold and go back to Steam. Corporate powerplays again based entirely on greed piss me off.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    Interesting reaction, especially considering the two game companies most people think of as "the good guys" have already implemented both the things you're complaining about.

<!--quoteo(post=1869541:date=Aug 17 2011, 02:30 AM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Aug 17 2011, 02:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enough players refuse to install their buggy POS Origin, they'll fold and go back to Steam. Corporate powerplays again based entirely on greed piss me off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you have a steam account? Because Valve has done the same thing. Try to find some Valve game on Impulse or Direct 2 Drive. When Valve forced everyone to use Steam people complained, 'boycotted,' etc. but now look at how successful that platform is.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->though also will not put up with their always-connected DRM BS either<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Upset about online only? Blizzard's already incorporated that in their current and upcoming games and I'm sure countless others will follow.

Ironically, despite what gamers think, companies creating their down digital distribution platforms and implementing always-connected DRM is a good thing. It means more profit for them and more competition/deals for us on games that aren't developed by EA/Valve.

The past few years have not been so kind to PC gaming as developers made their games more for the consoles. If they're able to see more profit from using their own distribution, and if they're able to significantly curve piracy, we'll see better games developed with PC gamers in mind (like BF3) as opposed to potentially great games destroyed by concession to console games (like AvP3).

If this is really such a toxic move it will backfire as people find the restrictions placed on them will be too much. I doubt there will be many gamers who will actually refuse to purchase this game over 1) owning Origin and 2) being always connected to the internet. Personally, going all the way back to Battlefield 1942, I've never even opened BF without already being connected to the internet. It's battlefield for god's sake, why would you?
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1869566:date=Aug 17 2011, 07:40 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Aug 17 2011, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869566"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's battlefield for god's sake, why would you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be fair BF3 is the first "real" BF game with a single player campaign beyond "the multiplayer maps populated with terrible bots".

I'm going to buy this game and play the bajeesus out of it, to be certain, but watching those jets made me cringe, squirm and wince simultaneously. Having some understanding of how real jets work has ruined them for me. The angle of attack indexer is lit up. ALL LIT UP. DURING NORMAL FLIGHT. ARARRARGH.

The jets appear to be able to dump chaff/flares, that's interesting.

As for steam vs origin... I resent having to run yet another program in the background. If origin had come along first and was as good as steam is now, I'm sure I'd be using it. However now I look at what origin does and I think "I already have a program that does everything it does, except for this one arbitrarily-applied restriction, that's dumb."

That said, I'll probbaly just install it, run it, play BF3 and then close it when I'm done.

--Scythe--
    Scythe needs all the meggerhurts he can get.
    <!--quoteo(post=1869461:date=Aug 16 2011, 10:46 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Aug 16 2011, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869461"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you referring to the Bad Company Series? Because... I've never played those.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They're basically BF2 with COD unlocks, you are't missing much. The series doesn't appear to have changed since BF2 honestly.
    edited August 2011
    I had a huge love/hate relationship with BF2142. I thought they made some great progress in a few of the gameplay aspects (removing the moronic aircraft in favor of the slightly less ridiculous gunships) and the futuristic setting let them get away with some pretty neat gameplay gimmicks, but the game was so badly balanced it was almost like 'what the hell were they thinking?'

The one that really felt broken were the air-burst rockets - they completely negated cover, they were extremely lethal and fired rapidly, and you could carry a ton of them - to make it worse, the kit that got them also got a 40-round scoped assault rifle with great accuracy, a medkit, and the defib paddles. Unless you were playing anti-tank engineer there was almost no reason to take anything else. So basically, you'd run into an enemy, and whoever spammed their rockets first won. Or maybe you'd both die. And then be instantly paddled back to life, only to instantly die again because people are shooting rockets at your corpse to kill you when the guy they see runs over to revive you.

Would've been fine if you only got ONE rocket per reload, with a spare capacity of only three or so, just enough to flush someone out of cover or finish a defender off, but you got four in a magazine and like sixteen more to spare.

I don't understand how game developers can be so moronically inept at fixing balance problems that are obvious even on paper. Is critically thinking about your game balance before you've even implemented it really that hard of a skill? Am I just that gifted? Or is everyone else just functionally retarded?
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869488:date=Aug 17 2011, 12:32 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Aug 17 2011, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't wait to get back to proper 'Battlefield' as every 'Battlefield' after BF2 has been subpar. I'm getting some new computer equipment for this game just to make sure my rig can handle everything.

My one wish is for the attack chopper pilot and gunner to have an near identical set up to how it was in BF2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree with all of this!

My only worry- one which I know will come true- is the series love for underslung grenade launchers. Given the larger maps there's always people who run around with the damned things equipped, ready to drop you as long as they aim in your general vicinity, knowing you'll be at a long enough range for them not to suicide.
    <!--quoteo(post=1869635:date=Aug 17 2011, 04:34 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Aug 17 2011, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had a huge love/hate relationship with BF2142. I thought they made some great progress in a few of the gameplay aspects (removing the moronic aircraft in favor of the slightly less ridiculous gunships) and the futuristic setting let them get away with some pretty neat gameplay gimmicks, but the game was so badly balanced it was almost like 'what the hell were they thinking?'

The one that really felt broken were the air-burst rockets - they completely negated cover, they were extremely lethal and fired rapidly, and you could carry a ton of them - to make it worse, the kit that got them also got a 40-round scoped assault rifle with great accuracy, a medkit, and the defib paddles. Unless you were playing anti-tank engineer there was almost no reason to take anything else. So basically, you'd run into an enemy, and whoever spammed their rockets first won. Or maybe you'd both die. And then be instantly paddled back to life, only to instantly die again because people are shooting rockets at your corpse to kill you when the guy they see runs over to revive you.

Would've been fine if you only got ONE rocket per reload, with a spare capacity of only three or so, just enough to flush someone out of cover or finish a defender off, but you got four in a magazine and like sixteen more to spare.

I don't understand how game developers can be so moronically inept at fixing balance problems that are obvious even on paper. Is critically thinking about your game balance before you've even implemented it really that hard of a skill? Am I just that gifted? Or is everyone else just functionally retarded?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

2142 was interesting, good variation on the bf2 theme, took some things away and added others, if the series kept going in that direction it'd probably be a lot better I think, I agree with an earlier poster that the WW2 setting is very good for balance, I don't particularly like how all games nowadays have 'modern warfare-itis' where everything is a death ray.
    edited August 2011
    World War 2 is retarded and I'll flay my own hand open before I play another FPS game set in that time era.

Everything is so incredibly dull, predictable, and played-out. Hell even if WW2 were 'fresh' I still don't get it - everything sucked, why is that fun? Even in regards to aircraft, WW2 combat flight sims are the most mind-numbingly repetitive things ever made. Fly almost-identical planes around, lead enemies, push button to fire cannons. Repeat. A lot.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869674:date=Aug 17 2011, 08:28 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Aug 17 2011, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->World War 2 is retarded and I'll flay my own hand open before I play another FPS game set in that time era.

Everything is so incredibly dull, predictable, and played-out. Hell even if WW2 were 'fresh' I still don't get it - everything sucked, why is that fun? Even in regards to aircraft, WW2 combat flight sims are the most mind-numbingly repetitive things ever made. Fly almost-identical planes around, lead enemies, push button to fire cannons. Repeat. A lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    LOL! Are seriously comparing a Flight sim (WW2 era) to an arcady shooter like the Battlefield Series... GTFO :D