Wall/Ceiling clinging as a skulk

<div class="IPBDescription">Idea on how to keep the skulk experience smooth and predatory</div>CTRL is nice for those times when you don't want to auto-cling to a wall (evolving, evasive jumping, etc). There are also times when I am on the ceiling and trying to sneak up on marines predator-style, but I have trouble navigating the obstacles and layout of some ceilings and walls.
I propose that because SHIFT is used to sneak up on enemies, it should keep you clung to whatever surface you're on, no matter where your crosshair is pointed. That way, you can keep track of where you're going without having to point at the terrain.

It would be nice to have that ability while running full speed, but I can't think of a good way to implement this without adding a new key binding. That, however, seems unnecessary, so maybe you guys have some input on the matter.

Great Job so far guys, and thank you for keeping your fans/gamers so close to the development action!

Comments

• WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    I agree, some way to absolutely cling to a wall w\ ZERO possibility of falling off would be awesome.

I think however that it is actually sort a tough problem to solve because all they have is a polygon soup, the math to figure out <b>what</b> you should be attached to is actually quite difficult. Not unsolvable, but ya know, would take some time that is being spent else where at the moment :)
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
  • icemaniceman Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14387Members
    indeed, +1

Although it may make skulking too easy. there is some movement skill necessary to wall walk at the moment, and that's not a bad thing, you can ceiling walk now but it needs practice. The main problem is that you are visible on the ceiling (it should be darker IMO) and that there are very few useable vents so there is not real advantage for skulks to do that at summit..

glacier
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It can be a pain still. Such as getting into the rafters in Data Core - the 90 degree overhand in the ceiling takes a bit of work sometimes.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think this suggestion is a no-brainer almost. I've been waiting for this to be implemented like a gajillion patches ago, even more so back when the wall-walking wasn't as good as it was today. Would make the actual skulking and aiming down at your target below with Parasite or for Leap and such a whole lot easier.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    Skulk wall walking is pretty awesome so far but a few tweaks are needed:

1) Wall jump. Being able to leap a small leap off walls ala NS1. This is helpful for ambushes instead of just falling straight down. This would also be used for leaping from wall to wall easily. Something like this looks like it may be implemented soon.

2) A button or toggle to stick to the ceiling\walls until wall jump is pressed. It feels weird having to look at the terrain to run while wall walking, and can get very irritating when you fall after getting in place for a tedious ambush. Even in NS1 if you held down the walk key, you would move very slowly but would stick to the ceiling perfectly. This allowed you to leap to difficult places without worrying about crashing into a group of marines.
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    Future map ceilings could also be more amenable to ceiling walking. Summit's corridors have bars jutting across the ceiling at regular lengths, which deprives me of the joy of zooming between rooms without ever touching the ground.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    I've never had a problem falling off the ceiling (since it was improved some patches ago). I don't think we need to make it any easier. Only thing that needs to be added is wall jump.

One thing I do hate, and this is mostly specific only to Summit, is the inability to easily navigate over wires on the ceiling. Two examples of this on Summit is the stupid cable near the power node in Ventilation and a similar wire on the corridor from the door to crossroads.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    Adding flat or near flat collision geometry to ceilings that have lots of detailed edges and jutting positions would make ceiling walking a smoother and easier experience. Generally speaking if I ceiling walk, I do it near a wall so I don't fall down, if that's not possible I look down and walk backwards, not ideal but at least I won't fall off into a marine shotgun blast.

Still, the mechanic for wall walking doesn't feel intuitive enough yet. I see far too often skulks walking on the floor because it's too tedious to wall or ceiling walk.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    I see also too often skulks to walking on the floor, but not because it's tedious, it's because they don't know that walking around the corner by wall walking can save they life :D

.. skulks from each country please unify and use that walls .. they are there for you :)