Is motion tracking planned?

HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">I hope not!</div>Have the devs commented on MT going in to NS2? I personally am strongly against it -- it ruins skulk gameplay, which is most of the alien team. At least MT as implemented in NS1 ruins skulk gameplay. Marines survive just fine checking ambush spots and moving in groups with proper spacing -- why do they also need MT? All it does is replace the need to be careful and use teamwork with a single click of an upgrade button. In essence, it removes the need for skill from the game which I think is a big no-no.

Comments

• culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    I think a few moments of motion tracking from doing scan seems like a reasonable implementation. This way it is obvious to the alien players that their position will be revealed by the visual scan effects. It's somewhat similar to the idea that marines are notified when they've been hit with a parasite. It would also severely limit motion tracking usage by marines, encouraging more team + comm interaction.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1866794:date=Aug 5 2011, 07:43 PM:name=Hakujin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hakujin @ Aug 5 2011, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866794"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have the devs commented on MT going in to NS2? I personally am strongly against it -- it ruins skulk gameplay, which is most of the alien team. At least MT as implemented in NS1 ruins skulk gameplay. Marines survive just fine checking ambush spots and moving in groups with proper spacing -- why do they also need MT? All it does is replace the need to be careful and use teamwork with a single click of an upgrade button. In essence, it removes the need for skill from the game which I think is a big no-no.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Without motion tracking, the Shade capabilities will completely outweight the Marines capabilities and cause a lot of paranoid Marines shooting into empty space (which I am doing right now lol).

MT +1
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    +1 MT as well. It's such a cool upgrade b/c it's not damage or armor, but it still have such a huge effect. Very cool :)
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    I hope not as well, I hated that in NS1. The scan should reveal any cloaked aliens though.
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    I'm with the OP, I don't like passive "wallhack" for everyone. Maybe limit it to a range around observatory? attaching it to a scan could be good too. Of course the game balance would have to be adjusted accordingly but it just takes a huge chunk off the skill in marine gameplay in my opinion.
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    It needs to be in to help counter cloaking. Aliens should only show up at max range whilst moving at top speed, only from short range whilst walking and not at all whilst still however, unless they are scanned IMO.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    MT should go in, but it shouldn't apply to the entire map like it did in NS1. It should be in a range around an observatory (maybe 2x the radius currently). Aliens within the radius of a shade will not show up. This will promote building networks of observatories and shades, instead of the NS1 model of building 1 and done. MT is really the only good way to counter cloaking unless you give marines a personal scanner.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1867882:date=Aug 9 2011, 01:49 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 9 2011, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a lot of paranoid Marines shooting into empty space (which I am doing right now lol).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup, I usually spray a line of bullets across the hall just to be safe before moving on. Cloak is scary.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Don't spray bullets into those 'empty' corridors, there's nothing there, promise ^-^
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    +1 for MT. I played a game last night and i'm not sure if this is supposed to work like this but even close to the obs I could hear an alien taunting me but i couldn't see it.

The way i see it is like this.

Aliens have infestation that serves as their "Power Grid" and also "Motion Tracking"when a marine is on it and to top it off the ability to parasite.

Marines have.....scan.....

So in all fairness marines need
    1. Motion Tracking :maybe some sort of link system with the same concept of croach (small sticky relay devices)
    2. A dart gun with tracking beacon

Motion tracking would work well if it where scanned every ~5 seconds or so only showing. like ns1 but with a delay before updating again.
    hmmmm, marines need an engineer class!
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    Motion tracking should go in, but cost res just like everything else. Eventually, the marines will have so many options that they'll have to get choosy about which upgrades to go for and which to pass.

You can also limit it by making it need a separate observatory from beacons or even a second command center. You can also make it cost personal res, and I'll guarantee that this change would make only about 30% of marines carry it at any time.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    MT should go in but i think it should only work in powered rooms, so infestation is the aliens "motion tracking" in their own turf, and marines have their own motion tracking in powered rooms, their home turf.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    Definitely a +1 on the MT for me. Maybe it should be limited as other suggested to a set distance around the observatory. Maybe even an upgrade could be purchased to allow for extended distances.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867924:date=Aug 9 2011, 04:43 PM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Aug 9 2011, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MT should go in but i think it should only work in powered rooms, so infestation is the aliens "motion tracking" in their own turf, and marines have their own motion tracking in powered rooms, their home turf.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What if there is a powered obs (power node) outside of a destroyed power-node location such as Data core? Should it still work?
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867931:date=Aug 9 2011, 02:34 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 9 2011, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867931"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if there is a powered obs (power node) outside of a destroyed power-node location such as Data core? Should it still work?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well the area of effect that power nodes provide is exceptionally small, and usually power nodes exist were marine presence is already established. Even if a comm decided to blow 15 res on a power node, with an aditional +5 res for a MAC to try and sneak a power node behind alien lines, and the alien team is too oblivous to notice, then yes the marines should get the advantage of a small, additional zone providing motion tracking.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    We covered this here:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113866" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=113866</a>

--Scythe--
This discussion has been closed.