Gorge web? Is it coming back?

vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
I havent been following the game like some of you until recently (again),and was wondering what the plan for the web was that the gorge was capable of using in NS1?

Comments

• King CowKing Cow Join Date: 2011-07-28 Member: 112663Members
    can you maybe explain for use poor people that never played ns1 this web ability? I guess it would hold or slow down a marine for X amount of time?
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    It stopped marines with jetpacks flying through it, they got stuck for a while iirc. Would work very well with hydras...

Also I would assume that the Devs wouldn't put it in until they put in the jetpack first
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866643:date=Aug 5 2011, 08:16 AM:name=King Cow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King Cow @ Aug 5 2011, 08:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can you maybe explain for use poor people that never played ns1 this web ability? I guess it would hold or slow down a marine for X amount of time?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Poor people shouldn't matter NS1 was free lol.

You could shoot one wall, then shoot another and it would make a web(string) connecting to both points. It stayed up the whole game until someone runs into it, and it slows the marine down considerably when they hit it.
  • King CowKing Cow Join Date: 2011-07-28 Member: 112663Members
    Nice I like the idea of this allot, I could see marines also being able to place a trip wire which could have a few effects.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866643:date=Aug 5 2011, 09:16 AM:name=King Cow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King Cow @ Aug 5 2011, 09:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can you maybe explain for use poor people that never played ns1 this web ability? I guess it would hold or slow down a marine for X amount of time?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Web was a gorge ability where you would shoot at a surface, and then another and a white web string is drawn between those two points. If any marine touched it, they would slow down for a period. You could lay down multiple strings in hallways, corridors, vents, it was a great game mechanic, I used it all the time as gorge.

Marines were able to get through webbing with the welder unhindered, in ns2 that could be done with flamethrower.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Grenades also destroyed webs in NS1.

There was already a 'trip wire' which was the mine with it's laser beam detector ;D
  • TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
    I loved webbing up the place so much as gorge as it would also disable weapons for a few seconds.
    Best of all you could web the ground so it was harder to see and marines would walk right into it becoming skulk bait, or battle-gorge play things :D
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866646:date=Aug 5 2011, 08:22 AM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Aug 5 2011, 08:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Poor people shouldn't matter NS1 was free lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Poor in enjoyment perhaps?;)
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866680:date=Aug 5 2011, 03:32 PM:name=Topper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Topper @ Aug 5 2011, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866680"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it would also disable weapons for a few seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If/when its added to NS2 it should definitely not disable weapons, just movement.

Can anyone explain how to shot it?
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1866646:date=Aug 5 2011, 02:22 PM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Aug 5 2011, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Poor people shouldn't matter NS1 was free lol.

You could shoot one wall, then shoot another and it would make a web(string) connecting to both points. It stayed up the whole game until someone runs into it, and it slows the marine down considerably when they hit it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah it is not absoluetly free! You need atleast HL1 :-P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spidergorge, spidergorge
    Does whatever a spidergorge does
    Can he swing from a web
    No he can't, he's a gorge
    Look out, here's a spidergorge<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Loved this in NS1, hope they implement it into NS2 also.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Loved it in NS1, but it rarely saw use except in custom maps like siege due to it being a 3-hive ability. All the cool stuff was in hive 3, but you never got to play much with it as the aliens were pretty much assured a quick victory with 3 hives. Can't say I ever saw a game on a standard map that aliens had 3 hives and ended up losing.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    I loved the web ability :D I used to web whole maps full :)
  • JmartJmart Join Date: 2011-08-06 Member: 114543Members
    Perhaps it could be optional for gorges in the evolve menu?
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited August 2011
    I hope so, if webs are not comming back, how can aliens stop jetpack players?
    I mean only the lerk has melee range and the gorge...but serious the gorge against jetpack marines? Ridiculous ^^
    Also i hope the gorge get his building abilitys back, no wonder why aliens win so much, yesterday we rush the marine base like 5 times!
    In ns1 it was possible too but most time people goes gorge to build res.
    I think mac and drifters made the commander more alone, thats one of the reasons why most people play alone (mostly marines and they lose).
    If i play on the marine side, i see the marines walking a lot alone and they die like a gorge, helpless...
    So what would web in NS 2 be?

What about a gorge evolutionary ability that is one shot, and where the web is aimed, a "string" of web just hangs down like a streamer, and any marine that touches is it gets messed up in it.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    I really like the idea of a web-like grappling hook ability. This would allow gorges to get up into the rafters much easier than normal. It would have to be a hive-2 or higher ability, but it would certainly help for putting hydras in interesting places. It could even be a fairly slow movement ability so it couldn't be used for quick escapes very easily. I think having hydras in the rafters of a hive area would be a great JP deterrent.

As for the NS1 style web ability, I'm not too sure it will fit in NS2 so well. Maybe if it didn't take away the gun, just slowed movement. I think the reduced movement of marines on DI should be enough though.
    Rather then a grappling ability, maybe an evolutionary upgrade which allows gorges to place (shoot), minicysts and hydras onto surfaces at a distance?
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Being able to place structures like that would be great! If the gorge could maybe shoot a cyst out like a bilebomb.

I could see how some well-placed minicysts early in NS2 will have a similar value to getting early res for the alien team in NS1. Allowing players to invest in playing a gorge from the start of the game is a good idea.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I just don't know how the Aliens will stop Jetpacking Marines in large corridors...
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Web was very useful. I recall many, many times when I've got caught up in a gorges web.

Stuck there helplessly....only to be devoured moments later.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    While web would be nice to have back, it still would be one of those post v1.0 abilities.

Although i am curious how cool the devs could make web look with the new engine, especially when transparency is added and particle effects are involved.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    I;m having trouble with this latest patch and gorges

how do i shot web?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1868051:date=Aug 10 2011, 04:30 AM:name=Smug_Lobster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smug_Lobster @ Aug 10 2011, 04:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I;m having trouble with this latest patch and gorges

how do i shot web?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you can't, its not implemented (it's not even confirmed that it would get implemented)
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    Oh yeah ...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R511ZxinSyA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R511ZxinSyA</a>
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    It was an awesome ability.
    When skulks would realize a good trap was made they would lead a marine into it.
    Then all rush him for that second of awkwardness the marine had.

I do help they bring the web back and upgrade it somehow (an alarm?).
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    I liked that marines would stop to consider before chasing down a level 3 gorge with web - miss the bait gorge :D