Humble Bundle #3

2»

Comments

• DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the protips guys - I definitely got better. When I played the demo, I was mostly frustrated, but then I bought the bundle, and when I started playing the full game, I changed 2 things: switched to full screen (which I should have done much sooner - much easier to tell what's going on now), and turned the DPI down from the correctly detected 1000 dpi to about 600. I think this makes smaller motions read as bigger ones, but it might be in my head and I just got better at the game. Flails are currently my favorite weapon, because of their reach and bashing ability, but I'm still at a machine-heavy part of the game (<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>just killed who I thought was the emperor, but I got caged by some guy anyway. I don't know who has the authority to cage you if you defeat the emperor in a duel, but whatever. The plot is hard to follow.</span>)

I also couldn't figure out how to change game modes so I didn't know how to get some of the cool weapons you guys are talking about. I just figured it out and will have to play with them after work.

-edited to remove an inexplicable quote from another thread. why does that happen sometimes? -_-
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    Ohh I just got a idea for a fun build. Cheat infinite money (somehow, cheatengine maybe) then stock up on max amount of throwing projectiles and no other weapons or armor for best mobility and throwability. Proceed to melt enemies away with acid flask spam :D. I love the throwing mechanics but when you get around 35 in money each arena round it's kind of hard to stock up enough to actually use for killing enemies (I also suck at it and my heavy weapons don't help). The healing bottle that costs 30 feel much more worth it. Not that I don't steal as many throwables as I can when the enemies use em but I rarely throw my primary weapons which do most damage.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I'm unstuck.

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>I bought two healing potion things. Used both in the fight with that bloody thing.</span>

--Scythe--
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I've started doing the arena stuff after the campaign. I discovered how to put gems in sockets, HOLY BALLS WHY DID SOMETHING NOT TELL ME THIS. I got a large red singing gem sometime during the campaign and I didn't know what to do with it. I've got two small purple zappy gems in a massive maul and a sword. Pretty nicely balanced against eachother, huge reach. I RUIN stuff in the arena. Keep getting dazed by those bloody explosive weapons. So much hate.

--Scythe--
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864862:date=Jul 30 2011, 12:55 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jul 30 2011, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've started doing the arena stuff after the campaign. I discovered how to put gems in sockets, HOLY BALLS WHY DID SOMETHING NOT TELL ME THIS. I got a large red singing gem sometime during the campaign and I didn't know what to do with it. I've got two small purple zappy gems in a massive maul and a sword. Pretty nicely balanced against eachother, huge reach. I RUIN stuff in the arena. Keep getting dazed by those bloody explosive weapons. So much hate.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know that feel @ siege bombs. I rarely get killed by getting downright impaled on a weapon anymore in the arena. Now it's the 4 opponents throwing bombs at me in pointblank range which is my usual demise, or random weapons that fly around MADLY for no god damn reason (I'm looking at you, desert arena) and smashes me to fine dust upon contact. It could also really be without a HUD that blocks 25% of your view and the god damn announcer who makes it impossible to see anything in high elevated combat. I also just lost my double edged sword with two gem sockets :( somehow it was knocked away from me and I couldn't find it before the match was over and it's no longer in "The Hall". I can't even buy a new one :/
    Played hammerfight a little more and finally got one of the endings. It was a bad ending, even though I thought I picked all the harder, more rebellious choices. Anyone get a "good" ending? the ending I got: <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>I was pitted against some big red robot with a lot of arms. This robot was apparently a weapon designed hundreds of years ago and played a part in destroying my people? honestly the story is pretty obtuse. I had a choice between siding with the robot, which claimed it would let me live and make me powerful or something, or destroying it for what it did. I destroyed it, and died of starvation trying to escape its lair. oh well. </span>

There are a number of weapons I didn't get too, I think. Enemies in the arena are always using some sort of bomb/grenade launcher which I never got. I did get the flare launcher type thingy though. The last weapon in the flail series is pretty darn OP. It tears everything to shreds, both monsters and mechs. I don't bother with guns because I can just smash a mech into the ground, and keep smashing it over and over until it asplodes. The guns are too hard to aim reliably, imo.

I didn't figure out until just now that you could actually raise your shields. I thought they were meant to swing around randomly and block shots if you're lucky enough for them to be in the right place at the right time.

protip: manually turning the mouse DPI wayyy down in-game makes it soo much easier to control. I moved the dpi down to like 300 and I no longer have to move the mouse like 2 feet to get decent weapon momentum. I can smash things to bits with a flick of the wrist. It sort of feels like cheating though.
    edited July 2011
    Raise shields, as in clicking RMB? Doesn't seem to work all too well for me at least, or i'm not using enough shields.

The damn game has crashed 3 times on me now, must be the fullscreen mode or something...

Using this loadout atm @ arena level 35. It's really really hard now, but It's still mostly bugged stuff that kills me. I think my chainblade ricochets back on myself when I get certain hard hits in. <a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98384/screengrab_20110801034644.jpg" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98384/screengrab_20110801034644.jpg</a> (the right one, with like, 4 huge drapes/flags and a gigantic red status thingy)
    If you have multiple shields, and select one as your active item, and hold LMB, you hold all your shields up around you to protect all your sides, but you sacrifice a good bit of speed. generally more trouble than it's worth I think, but it really does negate a lot of damage if you hold up 4 good quality shields. If the enemy is coming at you with guns or swords, putting up your shields is awesome, but if they're throwing bombs or swinging maces at you, better off dodging.

In the arena in the 20's, winning or losing seems like total luck to me. If they unload a whole barrage of bombs or flares in your face, it's instagib and there's nothing you can do about it. Sure, you know they can only do it every few seconds, so you can stay far away and wait for them to waste it, but that only helps if it's 1v1 or 1v2. When there are 3 guys chucking explosives at you, then it's basically up to the dice, especially if you're stuck in one of the more cramped arenas. At least monster hunting is consistent and pretty much a joke.

Any of the other gems worth using besides the health ones? I've been using the fire one a lot and it looks awesome but it's hard to tell what it's actually doing, if anything. Green one seems useless - seems like you have to press attack on the weapon it's slotted on and it makes you flash green for a split second, presumably going invincible. Purple ones bash the crap out of machines and armor but still, the red gems can give you so much health it makes everything else pale in comparison.
    edited August 2011
    The green ones need to be charged by hitting stuff (not sure if it has to be exactly the weapons with the gem) before you can activate it and use for like, a second but still a lot more than the initial splitsecond. It might simply need to charge up on its own, I lost my green gem weapon tho :/ I had both red and green on it. The only other gem I've had use for is the blue one which freezes and shatters shields and weapons in like 3 hits.

As for the explosive spamming, all I can say is to engage them with long weapons as soon as possible to stun them. They generally suck at aiming unless you come straight at them and are pointblank. Any distance and you just get the ringing and a momentary stun, mostly. With 3-4 shields you are generally protected enough to withstand the hits they swing at you if you get stunned for a longer time (siege bomb) or they simply can't catch up to you crashing towards the ground before you recover. The AI blasting itself isn't too uncommon either.

I suggest using any weapon that you can easily get a critical hit with, even if it does generally low damage. Once you get the slowmo-mode from the mentioned crit you can essentially break anything in 2-3 hits.

God, I hate hammerball. Not only is the AI a boring sack of ###### that pushes the ball along the ground into his own goal but when I win it ALWAYS bugs out and goes (at first) "VICTORY TO GREEN TEAM" (me) and then "YOU LOSE!" (it disintegrates my ship, but I still get counted as victor....I think).
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    I have only 2 complaints about the game so far.

1) The AI is horribly dumb. I hate monster hunting because it means I'm in a small space with a couple of IDIOTS that will more then likely drag me down and get me killed.

2) Can we turn off/tone down the chat spam? having my view obstructed b/c of it drives me bonkers.
    <!--quoteo(post=1865383:date=Aug 1 2011, 03:03 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Aug 1 2011, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have only 2 complaints about the game so far.

1) The AI is horribly dumb. I hate monster hunting because it means I'm in a small space with a couple of IDIOTS that will more then likely drag me down and get me killed.

2) Can we turn off/tone down the chat spam? having my view obstructed b/c of it drives me bonkers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Disarm them, first thing I do but they can't hurt you anyway and I think hitting them hard gives you coins.

2. Can't turn off unless you can mess with files somehow. I know what you mean, it has gotten me killed several times not seeing what the hell is going on.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    edited August 2011
    They just included Bundle #2 for anyone who already bought the current one. Any new purchases that still want it have to pay over the average.

Bundle #2 included

Braid
    Cortex Command
    Machinarium
    Osmos
    Revenge of the Titans

edit: they're also seperate keys this time so you have to dig up your link and retrieve the new one
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Oh, and they also added a 6th game a little while back. Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

It's a top down tank shooter. Pretty fun. A little extra value if it puts you over the tipping point.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Heh, what's next... Humble Bundle #1 also included... It seems Minecraft has a free play until the 14th as well...
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    For those of you who just got indie bundle 2. Go play Machinarium now. It's absolutely amazing.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    They just added Atom Zombie Smasher to the bundle.

Already owned it from the Summer sale, it's pretty rad.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    makes me feel stupid for buying bundle two instead of just waiting and getting three and two

=/
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    Why? It's not like you could have predicted this...

@JediYoshi, yeah I was wonder how that got on my Steam Library list!
    <a href="http://blendogames.com/atomzombiesmasher/" target="_blank">http://blendogames.com/atomzombiesmasher/</a>

I think I'm gonna buy every humble bundle that ever comes out. They're always amazing.
    I wish I tagged the first one as well. But yeah they be selling it separately as well, so complaining is futile :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1866734:date=Aug 5 2011, 03:40 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Aug 5 2011, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->makes me feel stupid for buying bundle two instead of just waiting and getting three and two

=/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Remember when you chose the price you paid? I don't think it's really worth complaining about.