Secondary Game Type Idea

LotisLotis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 77Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Set Res</div>I know that we are quite a ways away from worrying about differnt types of game modes besides default but I had an idea that I thought could potentially be fun:

What if each team started out with a set amount of TRes, the team's commander could use the Tres to go down essentially one tech tree and once the Tres was gone the winner would depend on which team made the correct "counter" choice as far as what upgrades they bought. Sort of like a big game or Rock, Paper, Scissors. You can't earn more Tres, you make a decision and hope you can counter the enemy team. I picture the trees sort of like the skill trees in wow (at least when I played it years ago) where you have three choices, you can go to the end of one tree for the ultimate skills, or you can balance your build and make a hybrid.

Each individual could also get a set amount of Pres to spend on themselves while the commander gets the upgrades depending on what tree was chosen. Maybe they would have a set Pres that can not be added too, maybe they can have a set amount that grows a little with kills, I don't know which would be balanced.

To avoid stale mates and turtling, either make the upgrades slightly exaggerated so that a team that was "saving" their res would quickly become out matched, or maybe add some sort of mechanism (a timer?) that forces a tree to be chosen soon after or before the game actually "begins".

These could be short games that force an outcome, each tree having advantages and disadvantages, meaning skill comes into play on a personal level and on a team level. Another potential issue would be: what if your commander chooses a path that no one else wants? Well I suppose you would have to just put your faith in the commander as you do in a normal game and kick him/her if neccessary.

What do you all think, could be fun?

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It sounds like as you said, a big game of rock paper scissors.

So, it'd be about as fun as organising a 20-ish person game of rock paper scissors where 9 of the people on each side do nothing but act out rock, paper, or scissors based on the directions of the other guy.
  • LotisLotis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 77Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1865731:date=Aug 2 2011, 03:51 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 2 2011, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It sounds like as you said, a big game of rock paper scissors.

So, it'd be about as fun as organising a 20-ish person game of rock paper scissors where 9 of the people on each side do nothing but act out rock, paper, or scissors based on the directions of the other guy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it would be more fun than that :) considering the game is already in a way a big game or rock, paper, scissors...I said it would be *like* that, obviously a video game in a 3D sci-fi environment between aliens and marines is NOTHING like the old hand gester game...it was a simple principle comparison but thanks for the input I guess you wouldn't enjoy it, any other comments?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It is in a way, but rock paper scissors is only fun if you have the opportunity to play rock, paper, and scissors all at once in varying quantities.

It works in an RTS, because it makes the game into how well can you deploy your rocks against their scissors while keeping their paper away from your rocks using your scissors, but make sure your scissors don't get caught up in the rock fight. This substitutes for things like positional advantages, quirks of vulnerability, strong forces versus weak forces, and other real life conditions in a war that are (or were) hard to simulate in games.

If you force a player to play either a rock, paper, or scissor though, it becomes a lot less fun, because all they can do is stomp/get stomped by other players, with no real participation on their part, victory is determined by who they run into, not how they perform in combat.

NS is currently relatively light on the RPS aspect, and the fact that you will eventually unlock everything means that even if you do choose rock, paper, or scissors you will eventually unlock the others so it doesn't matter too much, if you tie it down to one or two choices, then the game really does just become a game of RPS because one team will be at a major disadvantage, and the other at a major advantage, you might as well randomly assign health buffs to one side and call it a day.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    I would not play this game mode, because as others already said, it would not be very funny. On the other side, I hope we see some more rock paper scissor mechanic in standard NS2 once its more feature complete. I think you should always be able to get all tech ultimately, but you have to decide which tech next and that decision should have an impact on the game. In NS1, if you choose sensory chamber with first hive, and marines scout that too late, aliens can get a major advantage in the early game. Its just an example, I know that SC first is also crippling you alot, I dont want to discuss that now :) If you think one step ahead of your enemy, you should have an advantage.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1865882:date=Aug 3 2011, 12:55 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 3 2011, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you deploy your rocks against their scissors while keeping their paper away from your rocks using your scissors, but make sure your scissors don't get caught up in the rock fight<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Best quote ever!

I personally don't like the word 'counter' because it gives the impression that you have to use a 'counter' to kill a certain type of unit, which restricts gameplay decisions into a lot fewer avenues than it could otherwise, so it becomes 'they have x unit, so I need y unit'