long time NS fan seeking honest opinon about ns2

MrcreeperMrcreeper Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113398Members
edited August 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
I was hooked on NS1 ever since I got the beta copy at UVAlan back (when tribes was still alive lawl) and gave been craving to play it again , I have questions about the current state of the beta If I preorder, Is it stable enough, Is it just as fun to play game yet, are there a lot of people actively playing the beta.

Comments

• azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    Is it stable enough? That could use some qualifiers, what's stable enough?
    Is it playable? Sure. Is it fun to play games, again, yes. Are there lots of people playing? Depends on the time of day and the location.

In the end, if you preorder it, you can also wait till release to play it (or a later build) if you feel it's not to your liking at the current stage in development, plus there's that snazzy black armor too.

In the end, if your on the fence about playing NS2 at all, don't get it now, you can wait till its released and more officially reviewed.

However, if you're almost guaranteed to buy it anyway when it releases, you might as well jump in now with a pre-order.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1865398:date=Aug 1 2011, 02:48 PM:name=azimaith)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azimaith @ Aug 1 2011, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In the end, if you preorder it, you can also wait till release to play it (or a later build) if you feel it's not to your liking at the current stage in development, plus there's that snazzy black armor too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The black armour is no longer available for pre-orders.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Watch the NS2HD videos on youtube to see how it is, but most people don't get such good performance as that guy.

I agree with the poster above, if you're a big NS fan and want to support the game buy it now, if you're looking for a great game to play maybe hold off for some more months and check back when performance is better, there are more maps and more features.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    If you want a game, wait. If you want NS2, don't wait.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    If you can deal with change.
    If you accept this is a BETA and not a finished product.
    If you can and want to help UW by providing constructive feedback.
    If you can deal with NS2 being different than NS1.

If you are curious to how a game is developed and balanced.

Here read this...
    <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrBsO0m0Z4ilq0YsDEHJLQhBa6RrIjJIsckL2kE/edit?hl=en&authkey=CLCo8Z0J" target="_blank">https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrB...uthkey=CLCo8Z0J</a>

this is the kind of stuff we have been witnessing.
    Charlie and the team thinks, tweaks, and releases features.
    Some are dropped in and and ripped out the next build.

Now me....I am loving it ....i remember when the engine was just me and a gun and cardboard people to shoot...no other players.
    Now it is a game ... not finished... not balanced
    I find the game fun to play and having great promise.
    But I have a semi recent machine and I live in the states...which has some servers with decent pings.

People tend to play much higher when a build drops, so if you sign up, keep in the loop by either checking the website or their twitter feed.
    that's my speal.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1865434:date=Aug 1 2011, 11:46 AM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Aug 1 2011, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that's my speal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shpiel. It's Yiddish.

Buy NS2!
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited August 2011
    I say buy it, I did a few weeks ago and already have over 40 hours logged lol. Though now it's getting a bit old(same map for 40 hours of gameplay starts getting old), but yes it is playable enough to have fun if you have a decent PC.
  • TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
    Buy it.

This game is awesome, even if there are some minor lag and balance issues.

Its stable enough and balanced enough that you can really get into it and play some decent matches.