Can't load custom map, error given

doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
I've not used Spark for three or four patches so I'm not entirely sure if that's what is going on here, but everytime I try to load my maps (I have two, neither work and both give the same message) it goes through the "Loading map..." stuff, then jumps back into console and sits there. I can close console, but all I'm left with is a black screen. Typing "disconnect" returns me to the main menu.

Here's what the console says:

Loading 'maps/ns2_rayrock.level'
ERROR: minimap_extent entity is missing from leevel
Client connected (127.0.0.0)
Couldn't load height map maps/overview/ns2_rayrock.hmp
Script Error: lua/Utility.lua:1513: attempt to call method 'OnEntityCreate (a nil value)'
<blockquote>CreateEntity lua/Utility.lua:1513:
OnClientCOnnect lua/Gamesrules.lua:175
lua/gamesrules_global:56</blockquote>
Client Authed. Steam ID: (derpington :D)

Any ideas? I've got all the player_spawn and ready_room_start entities in place too, so I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm guessing it has something to do with the Script Error?

Comments

• UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    Can you provide me a copy of the file list? Zip it and PM me the link. I'll take a look at it. Most probably off the top of my head, you forgot to include the ns2_rayrock.hmp file into the maps/overview/ folder.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    A minimap extends isn't really needed as of yet for just a test level, but you do need one when you want to test NS2 commander gameplay. Now I'm not sure, but way back in alpha a ns2_gamerules wasn't mandatory, perhaps now it is?
  • doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1864711:date=Jul 29 2011, 01:11 PM:name=UncleRay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleRay @ Jul 29 2011, 01:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you provide me a copy of the file list? Zip it and PM me the link. I'll take a look at it. Most probably off the top of my head, you forgot to include the ns2_rayrock.hmp file into the maps/overview/ folder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is the file list just the .level file for the map, or is there something else you need besides that?
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    so put in the minimap_extent entity and try again ;)
    @Doeseph

Everything that you're working on.
  • doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864722:date=Jul 29 2011, 01:30 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Jul 29 2011, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so put in the minimap_extent entity and try again ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tried that before I posted but the result was the same :(

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everything that you're working on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only thing I'm working on is my map in the Spark Editor, I'm not using any of the other applications on the Launch Pad. I sent you the .level file as I'm not sure what else there is to send.
    Load your level, go into the Create entity list, and choose minimap_extents, and post it next to your skybox. Worked for me :]
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    Working on a bare minimum list for a working map on the ns2_sample wiki page:

<strike>Apparently since one of the last builds a minimap_extends including all the files that come with it are mandatory...</strike>

Still testing, I'll update this post with the ongoings of what we need as a bare minimum... Feha is doing some Lua code surfing to find some of the candy we need to make it work...

The list for build183:
    <ul><li>ns2_gamerules (not really needed as NS2 will create a default one if none is present)</li><li>team_location (set to Marine only)</li><li>team_location (set to Aliens only)</li><li>2x player_start (one at both team_locations)</li><li>ready_room_start</li></ul>

<strike>Due to some bug though, it keeps looping and trying to create a default ns2_gamerules or team_locations but cannot...</strike> I'm sure Feha will correct me on this :P
    edited July 2011
    hmm my bad, quoted mahself o.o
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864737:date=Jul 29 2011, 02:20 PM:name=UncleRay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleRay @ Jul 29 2011, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Load your level, go into the Create entity list, and choose minimap_extents, and post it next to your skybox. Worked for me :]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That didn't work for me! Jeez this is so damn frustrating, why would it work for you and not me? I've gotten rid of the "height map" error message by simply copy pasting rockdown's hmp and renaming it, so all I'm left with is this message:

Script Error: lua/Utility.lua:1513: attempt to call method 'OnEntityCreate (a nil value)'
    CreateEntity lua/Utility.lua:1513:
    OnClientCOnnect lua/Gamesrules.lua:175
    lua/gamesrules_global:56

I don't know how you would create an actual "height map" for your level or what it even does, but it thinks my level has one. I'm completely stumped. I have a player_start, read_room_start, a skybox and a minimap_extents, yet it still won't load. I'm worried because I have two maps and they both have the same problem.

EDIT: Kouji_San, after I placed all the entity's you said were required it loaded! I'm curious why it worked for UncleRay and not me, but at the moment I'm just happy I can load it for the time being.

@UncleRay @Kouji_San: thanks for the help guys.
    Just to be clear, it appears as though the ns2_gamerules entity is the solution for my current problem. Without it, my map won't load. Isn't the game supposed to generate one for you if none is present?
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    What you need is a face, ns2_gamerules and team_locations.
    As kouji said I played a bit in Lua, and I made a quick (at least when you take into account i was distracted by tv) and very dirty mod that makes any map with a face work. It wont work with less though.
    Doesnt seem as if he posted it though, so I figured I would do it now.

Gamerules_Global.lua - line 38:
    // Easy fix for ns2gamerules being needed in a map
    local gamerules = CreateEntity(NS2Gamerules.kMapName, nil) //CreateEntity(Gamerules.kMapName, nil)

PlayingTeam.lua - line 106
    // Fix to make mappers not need to spawn teamlocations.
    if self.teamLocation then
    self:SpawnInitialStructures(self.teamLocation)
    end
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1864790:date=Jul 29 2011, 08:14 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jul 29 2011, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What you need is a face, ns2_gamerules and team_locations.
    As kouji said I played a bit in Lua, and I made a quick (at least when you take into account i was distracted by tv) and very dirty mod that makes any map with a face work. It wont work with less though.
    Doesnt seem as if he posted it though, so I figured I would do it now.

Gamerules_Global.lua - line 38:
    // Easy fix for ns2gamerules being needed in a map
    local gamerules = CreateEntity(NS2Gamerules.kMapName, nil) //CreateEntity(Gamerules.kMapName, nil)

PlayingTeam.lua - line 106
    // Fix to make mappers not need to spawn teamlocations.
    if self.teamLocation then
    self:SpawnInitialStructures(self.teamLocation)
    end<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

maybe you shouldnt hack the lua on that. maybe just throw the entities in. if you're gonna make a map, make a map.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864790:date=Jul 29 2011, 06:14 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jul 29 2011, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What you need is a face, ns2_gamerules and team_locations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually you can skip the team locations and drop a ready room start in the level just to load it and run around in it.

I have been building a level with a skybox,ns2_gamerules, geometry and a ready room start so i can just move the rr start entity to the desired location before saving it to start me out at that location.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    When I load custom maps it tends to be to test custom entities. That means I dont want console to spam me with errors, even though they are harmless, as I want to be able to read it easily.
    And afaik ready room starts is not needed. I spawned at map origin when I skipped it.
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864796:date=Jul 30 2011, 01:54 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jul 30 2011, 01:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually you can skip the team locations and drop a ready room start in the level just to load it and run around in it.

I have been building a level with a skybox,ns2_gamerules, geometry and a ready room start so i can just move the rr start entity to the desired location before saving it to start me out at that location.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And this map can still load as of build 183? Because that is the problem currently for me and the problem in this thread :) Simply being unable to load the map at all without the list of stuff I posted a few posts back...

Hmm, come to think of it, perhaps its because there is a tech_point entity in there as well... Needing team_locations or else it wont load...