Skulks and walls

PawndemoniumPawndemonium Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72725Members
SQL errors suck, so here is a new entry for the database. =p
(yeh searching doesn't do what it's supposed to in case you wondered)

Well, that's something which has been brought up some months ago, and from what I remember the last words were that it may be changed...
yes, it's about Skulks and how their view on walls changes.
I personally think at the moment it looks quite ridiculous, as much as the devs want to make it look immersive with making it lean a bit on the side, to not confuse certain individuals, in my eyes it just doesn't do the trick, the engine is capable of shifting the view on where the surface is, so please make use of it, either by offering an option to do so, or just by forcing it.

I'm aware that this may confuse a lot of players, but on the other hand, NS2 is a game you have to get used to anyway, marine movement isn't something you'll probably like at first aswell, so is the slow/strategic pace in general compared to other shooters.
Long story short, is it feasible to still asume that the view shifts depending on where the Skulk hugs the ground?
That's from someone who doesn't play AvP all day (I actually just played AvP2 back then, but it was fun).
I have to ask that now, as maps need to get tweaked for that, kinda would destroy the whole feature if you shake the cam too much because of every single small objects... =p

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    nobody would seriously use it. Features like that make you feel sick very fast, and every competetive player would turn it off anyway.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    What are you talking about. I think it looks absolutly fantastic and it's perfect just the way it is. A more deep feeling !
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    This topic has been discussed and shut down a million times already. I know you said the forum search isn't working, but try again and I think you'll find many topics where this has been debated to death.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    For what it's worth I've always been in favour of the fully-rotated view, I loved it in the AvP games, but I recognise that I'm an outlier. It takes a while to get accustomed to, and not everyone would go to the effort.

Making it an option sounds simple, but probably isn't. There were a few tricky things that Monolith did to make the view rotation work in AvP2, without which it would've been unusable. Spending time implementing a feature that maybe 10% of people would turn on probably isn't worth it.

--Scythe--
  • hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    I've always thought it was kind of strange that your view stays the same. I feel like it would be a lot more natural and add more depth to the game if your view rotated along with the character model. Just imagine hanging upside down, then dropping from the ceiling, doing a flip in the air, and landing right on a marine. It'd be slightly disorienting at first but people would get used to it. It feels stupid to me the way it is.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it's perfect how it is currently.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864224:date=Jul 28 2011, 03:05 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jul 28 2011, 03:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's perfect how it is currently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

One of my friends who recently bought the game also suggested this, but then they actually played the game for a few more games and they had to admit it was a lot easier to move around than in the AvP vision mode. I think the tilt is the correct compromise, as it gives the game a smoother feel, especially in fairly rectangular tunnels
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864244:date=Jul 28 2011, 10:50 AM:name=Iacto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iacto @ Jul 28 2011, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

One of my friends who recently bought the game also suggested this, but then they actually played the game for a few more games and they had to admit it was a lot easier to move around than in the AvP vision mode. I think the tilt is the correct compromise, as it gives the game a smoother feel, especially in fairly rectangular tunnels<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, while I loved the AvP view I don't think it would work to well in NS and would just take extra time from a dev for something a lot of people would not like.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I really hope they add a button to make you stay stuck to the wall, even when pressing the opposite direction (perhaps, you shouldn't fall off if you're walking with LSHIFT).

I was under vent today and a couple of marines were building the extractor. I tried to walk up from underneath and ended up falling to my death. It's really quite difficult to get up at that bit as pressing away from the surface you are gripping ends up detaching you.
  • Boxer`DBoxer`D Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112532Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864224:date=Jul 28 2011, 11:05 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jul 28 2011, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's perfect how it is currently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

100%
  • GraveGrave Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63285Members
    "I really hope they add a button to make you stay stuck to the wall, even when pressing the opposite direction (perhaps, you shouldn't fall off if you're walking with LSHIFT).

I was under vent today and a couple of marines were building the extractor.<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> I tried to walk up from underneath and ended up falling to my death.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> It's really quite difficult to get up at that bit as pressing away from the surface you are gripping ends up detaching you."
    x10000000000

<ul><li>i feel like sticking to a wall should be the default, and you need to push something in order to detach. after all, im wall crawling, not wall falling, amirite? (a little joke there, but seriously...)</li></ul>

everyone who says its fine....i just cant take anything else they say seriously :P why not just give multiple options for how one chooses to wall crawl? i feel the system for wall crawling has failed if you see skulks on the ground more than about 25% of the time. (heres the math: there are usually four walls in an area. it should be so seamless that you switch between side walls, ground, and ceiling without even thinking about it, just trying to get the fastest or most discrete path possible. so that means on average you could be on any 1 of the 4 walls at any time.)

they would then need to make the wall crawling smooth over clutter so that your camera wouldnt flip out at every little ambient pipe and piece of metal jutting out.

<b><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->OR they could just make you fall off less. i think thats the biggest problem that needs solving.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>

im not terribly caught up in what the camera does, as long as i can turn a bloody corner while on a wall without falling off or slowing to a crawl! and while we're at it, how about crawl on the ceiling without falling off when i try and look at, oh i dunno, THE GROUND? i feel like that should have been pretty self evident -_- "i need to look down, at where the marines are, while im on the ceiling. i also need to not fall off while doing this. can you make it happen?"

(forgive my fun with fonts and junk, hope it just accentuated my points)
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    edited July 2011
    My problem with the current view is it doesn't give you a good sense of position. There are many cases in narrow corridors I can't tell which wall I'm attached to because my view doesn't change, which can make a vast difference when an obstruction is only on a single side. Worse still, I find it either stubbornly refuses to let you transition between surfaces cleanly so that you can stick to walls, or dumps you off easily into pits or right in front of the enemy, all based on the wall shape.

I'd much prefer a shifting view, but that's just me, apparently it makes some people sick which is a good a reason as any not to have it.

As for a indicator arrow for which wall your on, I really find them clunky and that they clutter the interface up.

My current biggest issue with the skulk is simply you don't get a good feel of exactly where you are in comparison to the environment, which is crucial when you're preparing to jump someone.

Honestly, I'd prefer if they ditched the crouch to detach mechanic as the main way of dropping, to changing the skulk jump to move laterally toward the point your viewing (yes, like AVP) Thus instead of detaching and falling, you'd jump off the wall toward where you were facing. For one thing a non-damage short ranged forward moving leap would vastly help you in traversing the environment, second, it would let you actually go after marines aggressively from an ambush instead of the current uncontrolled drop or the slow (because your walking sounds or loud) walk down the wall, as they are running or even sprinting to their next destination.

Being able to jump forward from floor to ceiling, from wall to wall, from ceiling to floor, would vastly improve skulk mobility, for good and ill.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864463:date=Jul 29 2011, 03:48 AM:name=Grave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grave @ Jul 29 2011, 03:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i feel the system for wall crawling has failed if you see skulks on the ground more than about 25% of the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The floor is flat, so it's faster to walk on the floor than the walls. Ooo, idea! How about you give a speed boost to skulks on walls, which would make wall-walking something that you should almost always do. The actual control on walls is fairly good, you have to use peripheral vision a lot more than direct vision. It's definitely a learning curve, but I believe that's a good thing