Interesting Anti-Turret Strat

Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
edited July 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Changes in 181 made this possible</div>Here is a way we broke a marine turret farm late game, though I figure it would work mid game too.

When a room is turreted up, have the alien comm drop a cyst right in the field of view of bunch of turrets (preferable the turrets covering the power node in the room)
Changes in build 181 make it so turrets won't change targets, so now aliens can move into the room with out being shot
Turrets appear to deal very little damage to cysts, so one cyst can actually tank a lot of damage, have a gorge heal the cyst to make it last longer if needed.
Turrets also run out of ammo in this build, so it is possible to deplete their reserves with just one or two cysts. (depending on the number of turrets firing on them)
Rush in and destroy the power node with skulks.
If you need to, the alien com can drop a number of cysts to distract many turrets at once, and if the cysts die you can just get every one out of the room and drop a new cyst.

It seemed to work pretty well, it was even practical for a fade to battle marines to cover a gorge healing the cyst, and in that way maintain the assault.

Comments

• RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    I would consider this a bug/glitch/side effect of turret not switching targets, quite game breaking and not working as intended, defeats the purpose of having turrets in the first place.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    It's fun to find new tricks.

Distracting Sentries with Cysts is akin to distracting anti-air defense in Starcraft 2 with mass Overlords, Hallucinations, or Defense Drones. It's good to see the new Sentry changes are effective at making them more vulnerable to coordinated attacks.

Sentries do switch target under attacked, but they twitch to their right when taking damage. Their turning rate is limited, so if they are under constant attack (2 per sec or more), they won't be able to hit anything on their left side.
  • aimlessanomalyaimlessanomaly Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107776Members
    i remember doing that as comm a day or two ago. it seems like the obvious way to distract sentries.

was the comm dropping them in MS, because that might have been me ;]
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I made this suggestion a while ago, except instead of cysts, Gorges could roll bile bombs (or perhaps fire mini cysts if that gets implimented) into a room as a way of redirecting turret fire.

Allowing other classes to attack.

Would be more interesting than just dropping sentry power imo, and creates an interesting dynamic.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Distracting Sentries with Cysts is akin to distracting anti-air defense in Starcraft 2 with mass Overlords, Hallucinations, or Defense Drones. It's good to see the new Sentry changes are effective at making them more vulnerable to coordinated attacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Im ok with this if empty black space stops the di radius (e.g. no placing from rockdown center area trough the small gap into marine base, or you need some changes in the mapping guidelines so this doesnt happen)

-> Aliens would need a real path into marine base => marines dont have map control and should be punished for this anyways. (but you can still counter it with an arc)
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863794:date=Jul 26 2011, 11:53 PM:name=aimlessanomaly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aimlessanomaly @ Jul 26 2011, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863794"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i remember doing that as comm a day or two ago. it seems like the obvious way to distract sentries.

was the comm dropping them in MS, because that might have been me ;]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you were the comm! :-D
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Damn exploiters!

Keep up the good work.
  • jergodzjergodz Join Date: 2011-05-20 Member: 99745Members
    Guess the shade's phantasm ability will allow strategies like this, once it's in the game that is.
  • aimlessanomalyaimlessanomaly Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107776Members
    edited July 2011
    Cyst tanking is a strat that would not likely be game changing unless the match gets to the very late game, when marines are turtling up in MS after they have lost everything (being the reason that cysts are able to be spread that far in the first place). I don't see this as that exploitable in the early/mid game, unless you have super good map control. The strat really becomes viable when you have a lot of energy from multiple hives to keep dropping the cysts without cutting into the energy you need to spend to constantly expand into new resource and hive locations.

In that particular game, I'm pretty sure we took SA and then pushed into MS from there with gorges and fades slowly pushing up with crags/hydras, while we had AS (crev and reactor) secured with hydra/crag laming on both sides. I would say that the game would have been pretty un-winnable for the marines at that point, and the sentries were just delaying the inevitable.

Edit: I failed to mention that this could work in places other than MS, like if a marine team has locked down one of the expansions. I think I'm going to play around with it next time I comm and see how strong it is in those situations.
  • dickbassdickbass Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109402Members
    what if u could take a drifter and upgrade it which a shield or something and fly it into a marines base and it would aggro the turrets. it would not take much damage from turrets but could go down faster to marine fire arms. would be a cool way to give the drifter some thing else to do. help the aliens make a push back into a marine base during the late game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1863824:date=Jul 27 2011, 05:50 AM:name=aimlessanomaly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aimlessanomaly @ Jul 27 2011, 05:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cyst tanking is a strat that would not likely be game changing unless the match gets to the very late game, when marines are turtling up in MS after they have lost everything (being the reason that cysts are able to be spread that far in the first place). I don't see this as that exploitable in the early/mid game, unless you have super good map control. The strat really becomes viable when you have a lot of energy from multiple hives to keep dropping the cysts without cutting into the energy you need to spend to constantly expand into new resource and hive locations.

In that particular game, I'm pretty sure we took SA and then pushed into MS from there with gorges and fades slowly pushing up with crags/hydras, while we had AS (crev and reactor) secured with hydra/crag laming on both sides. I would say that the game would have been pretty un-winnable for the marines at that point, and the sentries were just delaying the inevitable.

Edit: I failed to mention that this could work in places other than MS, like if a marine team has locked down one of the expansions. I think I'm going to play around with it next time I comm and see how strong it is in those situations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

gorges can drop unconnected cysts IIRC, hence why it's exploitable early game.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863835:date=Jul 27 2011, 11:07 AM:name=######bass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######bass @ Jul 27 2011, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what if u could take a drifter and upgrade it which a shield or something and fly it into a marines base and it would aggro the turrets. it would not take much damage from turrets but could go down faster to marine fire arms. would be a cool way to give the drifter some thing else to do. help the aliens make a push back into a marine base during the late game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this, but how about make it so that flash (where the drifter explodes in a flash of light) also blinds turrets for 30 seconds?

Edit: <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/drifter_flare_blinds_turrets" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t..._blinds_turrets</a>
    and what would be a fair marine side strat for this? if aliens can pull this BS marines should have something just as overpowered that renders the hydras completely useless aswell.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1864063:date=Jul 28 2011, 12:21 PM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Jul 28 2011, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and what would be a fair marine side strat for this? if aliens can pull this BS marines should have something just as overpowered that renders the hydras completely useless aswell.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    how about big guns that shoot through walls. oh wait.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    Yay more posted exploits which UWE said not to post :P.
    <!--quoteo(post=1864065:date=Jul 27 2011, 10:26 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jul 27 2011, 10:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about big guns that shoot through walls. oh wait.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

which have to have line of sight to fire and cycle time is long, also pathing for arcs is garbage atm and are completely unusable, arcs are also very vulnerable to skulks, this aliens strategem is much more viable than using arcs.
    edited July 2011
    This isn't an exploit, it said specifically in the change log for build 181 that turrets no longer change targets.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sentries no longer change targets once they've acquired one, unless they are attacked, which causes them to target that entity<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

try and keep up.

Also, this isn't even that good, did a test last night, 1 mini-cyst with a gorge healing only uses up about 180 sentry bullets, each sentry has 250 at full capacity. So if there are 3 turrets in a room you will need 4 cysts to deplete all the ammo... and you need to be in cyst range... and it only takes 2 res to refill the turret, and the refill happens instantly.

just because a strat is unorthodox, or non-obvious doesn't mean it is a bug, exploit or a cheat.
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864068:date=Jul 27 2011, 10:44 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Jul 27 2011, 10:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This isn't an exploit, it said specifically in the change log for build 181 that turrets no longer change targets.

try and keep up.

Also, this isn't even that good, did a test last night, 1 mini-cyst with a gorge healing only uses up about 180 sentry bullets, each sentry has 250 at full capacity. So if there are 3 turrets in a room you will need 4 cysts to deplete all the ammo... and you need to be in cyst range... and it only takes 2 res to refill the turret, and the refill happens instantly.

just because a strat is unorthodox, or non-obvious doesn't mean it is a bug, exploit or a cheat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

180 rounds, hm, by the time they are down 40 each three skulks will have killed killed the power node and proceded to face ###### the rest of the room, fair? I think not. The change was made so that heavyier armor units could move in and soak up damage while smaller units or gorges moved in to take out the sentries, not so you could spam cysts and walk in taking 0 damage. rendering the turrets a waste of resources, that is EXPLOITING, an AI controlled thing.
    edited July 2011
    firstly don't make stuff up, unless you tested how long it takes X skulks to bite down a power node, and compared it to the time a cyst lasts underfire from Y turrets, don't assume it will only take till "the time they are down to 40 each." Your waaaay over reacting. Maybe I should run a quick test to find out what that time is. Keep in mind if even one cyst dies, the turrets will re acquire a skulk or the gorge as a target.

Also, if the alien team wants to devote, 4 players, 1 gorge to heal cyst, and 3 skulks to byte the power node, and the energy or res it takes to place the cyst, AND the marine team doesn't respond in time, don't you think its fair for the aliens to break the turret siege? Under which conditions is it okay for the turrets to be broken.

You act like just placing a cyst in the room means the aliens can take it for free. The strat doesn't work that way. It takes a coordinated team work between the comm, and the players, or some players and a gorge to do this. And it can easily go wrong, if the marines respond.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1864067:date=Jul 28 2011, 12:37 PM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Jul 28 2011, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->which have to have line of sight to fire and cycle time is long, also pathing for arcs is garbage atm and are completely unusable, arcs are also very vulnerable to skulks, this aliens strategem is much more viable than using arcs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yea coz cysts are totally not vulnerable to marines. im sorry but all you did was list all the attributes of an arc and point to pathing problems in previous builds. You might think this is an exploit, but is it unduly unfair to marines? i think not.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Make sentries not target cysts, problem solved.

In general, I think sentries should only target units (excluding alien structures). Their purpose is anti-unit, so it makes little sense that they would also attack structures. That is what the ARC is for.
  • SquidgetSquidget Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17334Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864063:date=Jul 27 2011, 10:21 PM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Jul 27 2011, 10:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and what would be a fair marine side strat for this? if aliens can pull this BS marines should have something just as overpowered that renders the hydras completely useless aswell.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Besides flamers through walls, of course. :p

Ain't a sploit, ain't a glitch. Totally plausible (sentries aren't people, they are dumb machines, they shoot anything alien) in my book. By design, even, as the targeting change was explicitly mentioned in the changelog.

So the only question is: is it OP?

Given the crazy teamwork needed to pull it off, and how easy it is to counter, I don't think it is OP. Gorge mini-cysts cost more than the ammo does, so there's no res advantage. If the alien comm can drop constant hive cysts into your base, then you SHOULD lose.

(Besides, the aliens need SOME kind of siege breaker in the months before the Onos gets put into the game.)
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Mini-cysts have 400 health and no armor. Much better to use hydras to soak damage, because they have armor and sentries do light damage. 600 health and 125 armor or something ... in any case, the light damage vs armor halves the needed healing, meaning that you can drop a hydra and keep it alive until the sentry runs out of ammo. Which does take 25 seconds, so if any marine shows up in the meantime, the strategy will fail - or if the commander reloads the sentry when it runs out of ammo...

Paying 2 personal res to lock down an alien player for 25 sec is actually not a bad thing, IMO.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    sounds good to me. Kinda balances that marines now kill cysts like a fat kid eats lollipops
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    It's a fair cop. Turrets are usually built in a series pattern: usually not more than 2 or 3 will be shooting you at a time, and once you pass a turret's line of sight, another will be waiting to greet you. While the hive commander is working down the chain in Flight Access, marines can be ripping up the reactor all the way to Alien Start with no help from the commander at all using grenade launchers and shotguns.

Aliens have no area denial to speak of, and they bought that by not having to use team res to expand. This means that marines can go full out on alien infrastructure and give the alien commander a big headache that he might not be able to come back from if he wasted all his hive energy on sentry cysts.

If that's not design intent, then it's easily fixable by making sentries do more damage to cysts. I don't think anybody will complain about that change.
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863805:date=Jul 27 2011, 09:33 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jul 27 2011, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im ok with this if empty black space stops the di radius (e.g. no placing from rockdown center area trough the small gap into marine base, or you need some changes in the mapping guidelines so this doesnt happen)

-> Aliens would need a real path into marine base => marines dont have map control and should be punished for this anyways. (but you can still counter it with an arc)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, the new no-need-for-line-of-sight connection is based on the new pathing system. But the problem is that is somehow uses the direct distance (and not the actual path length) to restrict cyst placement. So from central access to marine start the cyst is calculating a path somewhere across the whole map to marine start --> OK, then calculates the direct distance through the wall --> OK. Will be sorted out once cyst connection uses the actual path length instead of the distance. Maybe needs some time cause they would need another visual indicator for where the cyst can be placed than the simple radius graphic. Maybe something like the connection path being displayed live when dragging the cyst over the screen and disappearing/changing color when it's too long?
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited July 2011
    It really seems like a issue to me, maybe not on the scale of exploit but unbalanced yes. I mean, once aliens push to MS all they have to do is keep putting down cysts before each attack thus making the sg's pointless. I tested this last night, and is very easy to do as a com.. though it is a great way <b>currently</b> to stop a stalemate(since aliens are unbalanced in that regard at the moment), it is unbalanced imho(think about a onos coming in with sg's not shooting them :P). A easy fix is as someone said to make sg's do more damage to cysts or just stop building placement to the opposing faction from being to close.