need sound stuff at least like NS1

Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
edited July 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">what do you think?</div>I know it's still WIP and that the most important current things to be implemented are new features,

but don't you think NS2 is still a bit boring and pointless?

I think it's because of sounds. They are now working on new features so sounds and HUDs seem secondary for them.

In NS1, sounds overcome players in my opinion. We could find out by some sounds of machines or something which room is ours or not. Don't you remember those frustrating and exciting feelings as a marine when there is no sounds but only the sound of your footsteps and recognizing that you're alone?

Furthurmore, main music, atmospheric sounds, and even those short sound of chat or tip message made players to concentrate on game. But NS2 is still out of sounds yet, so it's for me boring. Just walking around, too quiet, still quiet with my teammates or in territory of my team,, just like deaf... then and somethings appears noise of skulks..

I believe those thing will once all be implemented, but I miss some noises from armories, IPs, PGs and turrets(i think it's already there, but too quiet) and also some HUDs of NS1 it looked fantastic and suitable, most importantly.

wut do you think?

what we hear is always one of the most important thing.

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    as far as pure noise goes, just wait for the onos, heavy armor, and jetpack to be implemented. the onos rumbling and heavy clanking and the JP's exhaust will add a lot more atmosphere to the game. and i too would like to hear more ambient effects. dripping from leaked pipes, rogue electricity circuits.. and that sound when dropping something in a deep well to mimic a noise that might be heard from something at the opposite end of a long hallway. gotta have that.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hopefully near release more atmospheric noises will find it's way into maps. Ns1 had amazing ambiance in it's levels.

Of course the maps were larger and combat wasn't as direct as it is now.
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    Yeah its not the ambiance, if anything the ambiance could be turned down, in NS1 you could track using sound alone. Just hasn't been polished in NS2 yet. Case in point, how pointless silence would be in the current game, when it was one of- if not the- best early upgrade in NS1.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    One thing that may be contributing to the feeling of a lack of sound is that currently Summit, the main map being played right now on all the servers, doesn't have any ambient sounds added yet. Simon, our sound engineer has done a full pass on the ambient soundscape for Summit, but we didn't want to add it just yet for fear of making the performance slower.

But, in general, I think NS2 already has quite a large amount of sounds, both atmospheric and gameplay oriented. NS2HD even did a video a while back on his youtube channel where he focused on all the many different sounds in an alien base. But all of the sounds are still being adjusted properly to find the right balance and volume, and they will continue to be polished, and new sounds will be added as the game progresses.

--Cory
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks for the clarification Cory!

Despite the EQ changes to sounds in B180, I feel that footsteps sounds in NS2 are still too soft, and Skulk biting sound is a bit too loud. Does anything else feel that way?
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you play tram you have nearly for every room a differen sounding and a nice echo in the tramways.
    Yesterday we played it again but it turned out that tram is currently nearly unplayable. It startet fine but in the midgame it became a lagfest for everyone.

but BTW.. the IP and the amory all have their special sounds, as it is for alien structures.
    As cory said, I think it i because the rooms in summit don't have much sounding.
    There is a computer beeping in heliport and I noticed a buzzing in Reactor.

But this will all im proove over Time, I am sure!

btw. this is the Video of NS2HD showing of the alien atmosphere.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uOs4vyHaMQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uOs4vyHaMQ</a>
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1860957:date=Jul 16 2011, 07:31 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jul 16 2011, 07:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the clarification Cory!

Despite the EQ changes to sounds in B180, I feel that footsteps sounds in NS2 are still too soft, and Skulk biting sound is a bit too loud. Does anything else feel that way?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Footsteps are better now IMO, they were too loud in 179.
  • Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1860954:date=Jul 16 2011, 03:02 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 16 2011, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing that may be contributing to the feeling of a lack of sound is that currently Summit, the main map being played right now on all the servers, doesn't have any ambient sounds added yet. Simon, our sound engineer has done a full pass on the ambient soundscape for Summit, but we didn't want to add it just yet for fear of making the performance slower.

But, in general, I think NS2 already has quite a large amount of sounds, both atmospheric and gameplay oriented. NS2HD even did a video a while back on his youtube channel where he focused on all the many different sounds in an alien base. But all of the sounds are still being adjusted properly to find the right balance and volume, and they will continue to be polished, and new sounds will be added as the game progresses.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah. I could find it by tram especially, but I'd still rather to take ambients and HUDs of NS1. I hope you guys bring us far better one! NS2 looks already fantastic, but just a sound and small things like HUDs GUIs. Then it would be perfect.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1860934:date=Jul 16 2011, 02:55 AM:name=Classic319)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Classic319 @ Jul 16 2011, 02:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->--
    but don't you think NS2 is still a bit boring and pointless?
    --<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, they're putting hard work into it and I especially like what they are doing with the sounds, music and graphics.
    Not to mention the slow but steady progress to higher and more stable FPS.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Sounds are not as informative as they were in NS1 currently. Footsteps seem to only play on flat, simple geometry (no footsteps on Tram tracks, probably due to the complex geometry), gunfire can only be heard at point blank, bullets do not make a peep as they whiz past your head, nor do they make much noise upon impact. These are the most essential sounds for any FPS as they are as important as any part of the HUD that provides you information.

Ambient sounds add to the atmostphere, and structure sounds will help alert players whose territory they're on, but I feel they're negligible by comparison.

I have no doubt they'll get to it at some point, but being self-aware is of a core element of combat, and I can't help but feel they're absence really affects gameplay.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited July 2011
    The sounds are better in NS2 than NS1, most of them ARE NS1 sounds and if they aren't, they're much better sounding.

Sounds are probably one of the most consistenty good things about the game, presumably because they don't require quite as much technical stuff to implement, but generally every time they add a new sound it's noticeably better than the old one.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    I like the OP. When I do a fresh install (since i have the sounds disabled) or play 1.04 for fun, even just the menu sounds bring on a feeling of nostalgia.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I do think a lot of the sounds are too subtle, like as mentioned footsteps. There were a few other things that were super loud in NS1 and generally the loudness itself caused tension - "I sure hope no skulks hear me LOUDLY <b>CRACKLING</b> AND <i>SPARKING</i> while building this sneaky PG".

Or increased the feeling of being in marine/alien territory. Like the resource extractor noises, or the turrets beeping (and siege turrets deeper booping signalling how screwed the alien team is), or DCs/hives making those loud heartbeat noises when healing anything. Particularly the hive healing itself, that not only made it feel more alive but also told you something was wrong compared to its usual silence.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    i still play ns1 so I want more sounds from ns1 to be in ns2. I just gotten used to so many things from ns1, when I play ns2 it usually reminds me what I miss, haha.
    <!--quoteo(post=1861110:date=Jul 16 2011, 08:31 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Jul 16 2011, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i still play ns1 so I want more sounds from ns1 to be in ns2. I just gotten used to so many things from ns1, when I play ns2 it usually reminds me what I miss, haha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You could always, I don't know, enjoy something new and then have new memories spawn from them.
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    hey guys,

yeh like cory said summit dosnt have any sounds in the public build right now, or room reverbs, all that is done internally and once the performance stuff is figured out we can ship that, it definitely adds a lot of immersion once that is in.

the volume of footsteps is about right in my opinion, could be a touch louder but when im repairing a power node i never have trouble hearing if a skulk is coming or i can tell if there is a lerk around or someone with a shotgun. because i know the sounds inside out when i play i use sounds as cues all the time, so i think it would just be a case of getting familiar with the new sounds and how they sound far away and then u guys could play with ur eyes closed like i do! .

making a mix in a game is a delicate balancing act, and there are always trade offs. say u are standing alone in a room as a skulk and start biting the air, it seems a little too loud, but if i turn that sound down , in a fight against a marine, all u would hear is the guns, its important to hear the skulk too so i could turn all the guns down, but now they sound whimpy, and the fade seems too loud , so i turn him down but then lerk is too loud etc etc. my goal is that in a fight u can hear each weapon vs each alien clearly, and in between fights u can track enemies within a reasonable distance by the sounds they make alone.

as far as ricochet and bullets whizzing past ur head, i agree that they are very important and all those sounds are done but have just been bugging out, brian and i have been working on getting all those shooting feedback/injury type sounds working well past couple days so that should all be good next patch.

about the nostalgia "i miss the old sounds" thing, i can understand this point of view and ive used a bunch of sounds from ns1 to make ns2 sounds either as layers in the new sounds or as inspiration, tho im not too hot on the idea of using sounds from ns1 in ns2 directly.
    its a bit like saying "hey i liked the onos in ns1 lets use the same model in ns2" - sure u could do it, but would u really want to ? even if u really miss the old onos, and as cool as he was, every time ud see him in ns2 he would seem like the retarted low-polly cousin of the other aliens. a similar thing happens when u do that with sounds.

ns1 sounds are good, but the sound, like everything else in games, has progressed in the past 7 years, and a lot of the ns1 sounds are copy pasted from sound libraries that have been around since the 80s. example tool tip + almost all the hud /gui sounds are just from these libraries. id prefer to make something inspired by the original but unique for ns2.

anyway glad to hear ur feedback guys

cheers

simon
  • Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1861100:date=Jul 17 2011, 08:32 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jul 17 2011, 08:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do think a lot of the sounds are too subtle, like as mentioned footsteps. There were a few other things that were super loud in NS1 and generally the loudness itself caused tension - "I sure hope no skulks hear me LOUDLY <b>CRACKLING</b> AND <i>SPARKING</i> while building this sneaky PG".

Or increased the feeling of being in marine/alien territory. Like the resource extractor noises, or the turrets beeping (and siege turrets deeper booping signalling how screwed the alien team is), or DCs/hives making those loud heartbeat noises when healing anything. Particularly the hive healing itself, that not only made it feel more alive but also told you something was wrong compared to its usual silence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, this is what I wanna say. Thanks!
  • rushmonkeyrushmonkey Join Date: 2009-04-17 Member: 67215Members
    100% with you simon.

Even though i'm totally up for improving on old stuff, i bought a brand new game and as such i really would like everything to be new or at least improved upon. NS1 is still a great game that i occasionally enjoy, and there's no reason as far as i can see to make an exact port of a game made several years ago.

I'm sure you guys have learned a lot since making ns1, and i for one would sure as hell like to see what you can make now.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I really hope you guys do a good job with the<u> sound engine</u>, as it is the most important aspect of a game in my honest opinion, it needs to be <u>realistic</u> but at the same time it needs to add to the <u>gameplay.</u>
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    And sometimes sounds simply bug out. Build an extractor and you hear the looping sound starting. Move too far away from it and back again and the sound is gone. There is a very subtle armory-idle sound and I think it has the same problem. On the other hand, phasegate looping sounds sometimes keep playing after the phasegate has been destroyed. I guess the sounds won't feel right anyway until the technical problems are solved.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    I suppose it might not be loudness as much as hearing them at all in the case of skulk footsteps, which are completely gone for me often as not (and I don't mean on infestation), or hearing them through walls. Since HL1 didn't take that last into account (not sure if NS2 does), you were 100% sure to hear a skulk that's in range as long as it was running around un-Silence'd.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1861207:date=Jul 17 2011, 08:21 AM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Jul 17 2011, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really hope you guys do a good job with the<u> sound engine</u>, as it is the most important aspect of a game in my honest opinion, it needs to be <u>realistic</u> but at the same time it needs to add to the <u>gameplay.</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

tactical underlines
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    NS1 sounds were good after all these years they are still good, make sure you keep or surpass the quality!
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    There are actually a few sounds in summit (only around 10 in the whole map, and no reverbs) that I put in with the first beta version just like there are like 3 particle effects, lol.
    They are alibi sounds and effects to have a few in the map at least and get some experience with them, but they don't even come close to the quantity and quality that is used in offical maps after Simon is done with it.
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1861248:date=Jul 17 2011, 03:26 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jul 17 2011, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861248"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I suppose it might not be loudness as much as hearing them at all in the case of skulk footsteps, which are completely gone for me often as not (and I don't mean on infestation), or hearing them through walls. Since HL1 didn't take that last into account (not sure if NS2 does), you were 100% sure to hear a skulk that's in range as long as it was running around un-Silence'd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This was my point as well. It isn't so much a problem with the sounds themselves. I feel like the code for footsteps is bugged or incomplete, because they don't consistently play when they should.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1861272:date=Jul 17 2011, 11:27 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jul 17 2011, 11:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 sounds were good after all these years they are still good, make sure you keep or surpass the quality!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1+