My Alien Ideas based off of build 180

Navi491Navi491 Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109557Members
I have played Natural Selection since it was first released as a mod for hl1, and have played NS2 since alpha was made available for pre-order so i have some experience in NS.

Based off of the latest build i have some ideas as to how to improve or perhaps balance the aliens given the cheaper res necessary for marines to buy powerful gear.

My first idea is to either upgrade the alien whips to have a projectile attack which they can use to attack enemies at a distance, and use physical whip once marines get within close range as is the current situation. I feel this is necessary as the current maps lack the tight and short hallways necessary for good usage of whips. Adding a projectile attack would allow whips to protect an area or simply deter enemies from going somewhere with an attack that may not do ALOT of damage, but something is better than nothing. As things currently stand whips can easily be killed by a marine whom is face to face with it, but is outside of the whips range, which is extraordinarily short given its the ONLY offensive/defensive structure commander can drop to lock down an area. This is why i would suggest giving it an protective attack for marines at a distance. I am not suggesting the projectile's damage be ALOT, but perhaps something similar to hydras damage.

I know people will say there is no point as gorges can drop hydras for projectile attacks, but if anyone has played alien commander you know its difficult to find player willing to gorge and help commander out by placing hydras and mini cysts where needed and not where gorge feels is best for their "ideal" defensive/offensive planning for more personal kills. If anything perhaps give commander ability to choose between having a projectile structure similar to hydra, but maybe a mature version. This would add more strategic planning as to how aliens can build and progress towards locking down areas and holding off marines.

Another problem with whips is that their rate of fire is so slow that most marines can outrun them before they are hit which sort of defeats their purpose.

Another idea i have after playing as fade in the current build is to perhaps add the "adrenaline" ability/upgrade that was available in NS1. This way Fades can still be affected by current energy costs of attacking/blinking, but have a faster energy regen if they choose to spend res on the adrenaline upgrade. This upgrade would have to be researched at a structure (perhaps a future structure such as the equivalent of a movement chamber from NS1) and once researched players would have to spend res to get the upgrade. This way Fade would still be "Nerfed", but have ability to choose an upgrade that can somewhat counter the severe energy usage used by current attacks/blink .

These are just some ideas i have from playing on this build, and i have spoken to a few players in game that feel my ideas have some merit, so i throw them up here onto the boards to see if anyone agrees/disagrees or has some additions/modifications for my ideas.

Anyways have a nice day, and have fun gaming.

Comments

• dickbassdickbass Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109402Members
    My first idea is to either upgrade the alien whips to have a projectile attack,

i think that is coming.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    nothing new here, but I like the energy upgrade. +1 too that.
    Whips might need a tweak, but it can wait until bombard is implemented.
  • UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorges should have some sort of personal hive energy. As I saw mentioned in another thread, they should get energy from hives that have already maxed out the energy. If the gorge doesn't have any energy to create a hydra or mini cyst, it uses PRes.
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1860853:date=Jul 15 2011, 10:19 AM:name=Uzrbital)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzrbital @ Jul 15 2011, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges should have some sort of personal hive energy. As I saw mentioned in another thread, they should get energy from hives that have already maxed out the energy. If the gorge doesn't have any energy to create a hydra or mini cyst, it uses PRes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If that is implemented, gorges should have a method to manually steal energy from a hive commander option (or the commander could have a gift energy button) so it doesn't totally send alien strategy into chaos.
  • Navi491Navi491 Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109557Members
    In all honesty they need to re-allow alien commander to use the energy to build cysts and drifters from other hives besides the 1 he is logged into. This was allow back in 179 but removed in 180. Of course if a second commander is logged into a hive then another commander should not be able to use energy, but if hive is uncommanded then allow single comm to use energy. Its extremely annoying and unnecessary to require alien comm to physically run from one hive to another in order to get full use of all available energy.
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    Why not ditch the paradigm of one alien commander a la NS1 and just have everyone go on rotation at the hive they spawn at? Infestation needs to be spread as quickly as possible, and it doesn't need the strategic finesse of expensive marine buildings. Every player should once in a while hop in, spam pustules, and get out to kill some marines.