Whip idea

Digital_slapDigital_slap Join Date: 2011-07-08 Member: 109007Members
edited July 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
*Update: 3:20pm CST*

So it seems the cloaked whip is generally liked. So it would go: when whip is created it burrows beneath the infestation becoming cloaked. Then it can only become attackable when a marine gets within its own attack radius. Perhaps allow the normal whips to be scannable, but let the upgraded whip not be scannable or a make a third upgrade for the whip that makes it unscannable. Adjust Res cost for the different upgrades accordingly.

*Update 3:46pm CST*

To make it more balanced for marines have the whip be vulnerable for a few seconds after it has revealed itself before it burrows back into the infestation.

Comments

• UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It would be cool if the whips hide under ground. When they attack, they come up from the ground, and can be attacked. Other than that, it needs a scan to reveal. Would be so neat. And yeah, the whip should like blur your vision and make your crosshair unsteady, making it hard to shoot anything.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1860670:date=Jul 14 2011, 01:09 PM:name=Uzrbital)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzrbital @ Jul 14 2011, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be cool if the whips hide under ground. When they attack, they come up from the ground, and can be attacked. Other than that, it needs a scan to reveal. Would be so neat. And yeah, the whip should like blur your vision and make your crosshair unsteady, making it hard to shoot anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

dude that was funny/cool idea
    i pictured them hiding under the cysts
    making every marine tentative about approaching the cysts.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    Heres what I see for the Whip, it's a basic hive defense, with upgrades. It should really do a High Amount of damage but a short range. In the Early NS2 builds, Whips were placed right underneath the hive and it would protect from marines getting in under the hive/hiding in the corner/slashing the hive etc etc making it hard for marines to kill a hive without shotguns and a large crew. I thought that it was a great use for the whip. Placing 2 underneath a hive pretty much guaranteed your team would have enough time to get back and save the hive.(something it does not do right now it's just kind of useless)

The whip should do ~half a marines health in 1 shot.
    Have range ~ the diameter of a hive.
    Have a lot of health
    Have a Slow attack animation/Slower Attack Rate it should not be able to take out a whole fleet of marines, but it should be very strong against small amounts of marines.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    posted this idea in other thread so I will repeat it here.

allow the whips to be rooted under the infestation, marines cannot attack or see them. Once marines get closer to the whip it would start attacking them, if they move away it hides back into the infestation. Only way to attack the whip is to ask the commander for scan, which would reveal whip location, and marines now able to easily kill it.

this would mean once marines find the whip they can't just easily shoot it from distance, or attack it around corners.

same idea can be applied to cysts, allow them to be only revealed through scan, though an additional health boost is needed making them much tougher to take down. Other idea, cysts would take more damage from axe rather than bullets, in other words the axe can bring it down quicker but if you choice to shoot it, it would take much longer.
  • rushmonkeyrushmonkey Join Date: 2009-04-17 Member: 67215Members
    edited July 2011
    I've also been trying to think of something to help improve whips usability.

So far the best i've come up with is adding something along the lines of :
    A mouth and snake like tongue (rolled up at the back of the throat or possibly out of sight) near the upper non curled part of the structure ( a very menacing mouth with lots of sharp rows of teeth of course :> orrr a funny manta ray mouth :D seeing as i couldn't find a use for the sharp teeth lol(edit: just thought of a use for the teeth, it could bite the marine once it's pulled it in. duh lol).

The basic idea would be for either the to tongue to have a small split at the end (or a small mace like growth or something) and be used as an extra long reach attack just like normal whip but would do less damage (just so that a marine can't stand still shooting or launching grenades in the the same spot).

Alternatively, the tongue could have a much longer split at the end, enabling it to wrap itself around a marine. It could then quite quickly pull itself to the marine it's attached to OR pull the marine in to it.

If it were to pull marines, i would definitely have it as usable only by a comm, plus a long cooldown (30 secs plus) and possibly have all whips in a certain range share the same cooldown. This would however still ( i think) encourage a lot more whip placement than seems to happen at the moment, as you would still put them everywhere you do now for hive defence etc. but you would have to find new spots for effective tongue pulls too :> AND it shouldn't be TOO hard to add it in, i think, maybe? lol

If it were to pull itself less limitations are needed as obviously it leaves itself a lot more exposed to enemy fire, croach would be the limit here though,maybe not allow it to pull itself off of it.

ALSO you could even possibly make this a replacement to their current slow walk to places, as currently, i just find that whips are so slow and exposed while walking, unless its just a few feet, my moving whips almost always die before they reach their destination, unless i watch them constantly on a long journey which is of course boring, and usually as commander it's better to spend that time doing something else.

anyway i hope something useful comes out that :>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1860670:date=Jul 14 2011, 10:09 AM:name=Uzrbital)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzrbital @ Jul 14 2011, 10:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be cool if the whips hide under ground. When they attack, they come up from the ground, and can be attacked. Other than that, it needs a scan to reveal. Would be so neat. And yeah, the whip should like blur your vision and make your crosshair unsteady, making it hard to shoot anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This!!!!!

The biggest reason that whips are useless is that marines can effectively kill them at distance. The best you can do is try to hide them around corners, but even then I find many marines can still find the right angle to snipe them while not getting hit. Whips would be more effective if to kill them you needed to be in their firing range.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Agreed with cloak for Whips, that's a good change since Marines will more likely wander into Whip range (Comm. can't scan everywhere at once!)
  • Digital_slapDigital_slap Join Date: 2011-07-08 Member: 109007Members
    I think we might be on the right track with this cloaked whip idea. Hopefully we can get some developer interest behind it.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    - Whips could hold on to a marine and strangle them, like a constrictor snake.

- Whips should do much more damage against structures, so aliens have incentive to risk walking them to front line areas.

- Whips should be able to whip sighted target around a structure, so you don't have situation where marines kill the hive and the hive is between the marines and the whip, shielding the marines.

- Whips idle animation should be a curled up like a snail position, lower on the ground not waving around high in the air for all to see and shoot.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I like the idea of the cloaked whip too and agree they should be able to do more damage. as it is even fully upgraded the whip does very little to defend right now.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    But wouldn't the whip be cloaked anyways once the shade comes in?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1860726:date=Jul 14 2011, 04:10 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jul 14 2011, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But wouldn't the whip be cloaked anyways once the shade comes in?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends if Cloak is passive or active, otherwise even more babysitting.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1860708:date=Jul 14 2011, 10:09 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jul 14 2011, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Whips could hold on to a marine and strangle them, like a constrictor snake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could imagine someone saying:

"Nothing that impairs a players movement"
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1860774:date=Jul 14 2011, 11:56 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Jul 14 2011, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could imagine someone saying:

"Nothing that impairs a players movement"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So... We can remove their vision instead! Or remove their abilities to attack! *evil chuckle*

The problem is, cloaking is not implemented in the game yet.

On the bright side, Whips ignore entities that block LoS, and hits all enemies in its range, and now deals double damage to structures. It is too bad they don't have the health to survive Sentries to be a siege unit.
  • dickbassdickbass Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109402Members
    when u get whiped your vision should blur like it does for the aliens getting bashed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1860816:date=Jul 15 2011, 12:09 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jul 15 2011, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is too bad they don't have the health to survive Sentries to be a siege unit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I want some footage of UWE <u>actually</u> using a whip as a siege unit.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1860844:date=Jul 15 2011, 02:30 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Jul 15 2011, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I want some footage of UWE <u>actually</u> using a whip as a siege unit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We don't use it as a siege unit right now because its bombard range attack is still not hooked up and working.

--Cory
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    How's bombard going to work anyway?

An idea I had was that bombard would lob a big bile bomb in the direction you aim it, but instead of exploding on contact, it bounces around randomly, so if you lob it through the door of a room, it bounces around the room and hits stuff in the room when it explodes.

Definitely needs a non-los requiring attack, as I can't see it being any use against sentry defended exits if it has to get shot at in order to kill anything.

Cloaked whips sound interesting but it might be a bit annoying if they can't be attacked without someone being killed by it, obvious solution is once infestation can be attacked directly by flamethrowers, they would cause whips to unburrow, but not sure how you do it in the short term.
    the way I understood bombard would work is the same way ns1 fade acid rocket worked expect it won't be firing like rocket. It would lob bile of acid towards the marines, the direct damage and splash effect from this ability would be doing heavy damage. Firing every 1.5 seconds. bombard should be passive ability since it has limited range.

the whips should not be cloaked but rather rooted under the infestation as I explained before. Only two ways whips can be exposed through scan, and when commander unroots them to move them to another location.

they made mistake thinking whips would get bile bomb, which many of the community members pointed out until they finally made the right choice, and gave the gorge bile bomb. bile bomb needs to be in the hands of mobile creature that can attack, and run away - the whip would die before it even reaches it target - its slow moving and way to exposed target. Now, we need to polish out gorge bile bomb effect as it was in ns1, and we should be fine.
    <!--quoteo(post=1860860:date=Jul 15 2011, 05:35 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 15 2011, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We don't use it as a siege unit right now because its bombard range attack is still not hooked up and working.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That makes sense then.

But what will stop it from getting shot by Sentries?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    I dont see how bombard on whip can be usefull. (cheaper gorge thats more agile and can support on top of that)

I would make it a slow slime, and not anti structure.
    I'll be glad the Whip even HAS a projectile attack for what it's worth.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1860920:date=Jul 15 2011, 07:59 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jul 15 2011, 07:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont see how bombard on whip can be usefull. (cheaper gorge thats more agile and can support on top of that)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here's how:
    - Whips can Lash while Uprooted
    - Lash has a short knock-back

Would make the Whip a pretty mean structure.

Also remember that cheaper Gorge's that are more agile and can support on top of that are also limited by the player count and by the needs of the team. Redundancy doesn't necessarily imply uselessness.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in I&S?
    <!--quoteo(post=1860945:date=Jul 16 2011, 05:10 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Jul 16 2011, 05:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll be glad the Whip even HAS a projectile attack for what it's worth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it needs to be passive ability, not an upgrade.

but the problem is how easily whips are killed.

whips need to be rooted under the infestation, attack when marine gets close and hide under infestation when marine moves away. Scan would reveal its location.
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1861501:date=Jul 18 2011, 06:37 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Jul 18 2011, 06:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it needs to be passive ability, not an upgrade.

but the problem is how easily whips are killed.

whips need to be rooted under the infestation, attack when marine gets close and hide under infestation when marine moves away. Scan would reveal its location.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed on both accounts, these changes will make it scary to be near a Hive.

Edit: Just saw on Design Log about Whips, and knocking weapon out of Marine's hand doesn't sound fun at all...
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1861469:date=Jul 18 2011, 09:49 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Jul 18 2011, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: Shouldn't this be in I&S?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is, or maybe it's been moved since you wrote it.