Additional Non-player Alien Lifeforms

hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
Unsure if there has been a thread on this or not. If so, forgive me.

When playing as alien commander, you feel removed from the battle because there is very little you can do to influence the alien vs. marine combat. The primary role is to infest areas, build structures, and research upgrades. You don't spend personal res on anything while in the hive; everything is built using team res (TR) or hive energy.

I'd like to see additional non-player alien lifeforms that would be researchable and created by the alien commander using PR. The commander could turn eggs into lifeforms that only he/she could control and can perform specific functions that would benefit aliens in battle. I know that drifters have the flare upgrade and can "flashbang" marines, but because energy is required to create drifters, and drifters also serve as the builder role, you don't really see anyone using them in-game.

My suggestion would to create a Gears of War-type bug that could run into marine-controlled areas and explode, throwing its corrosive guts all over marines and their structures, which would cause high armor and structural damage. Should the marines kill the bug before it kamikazes, it would still explode wherever it died. This would give the commander a more active role in battles while also giving him/her something on which to spend PR.

I see a lot of alien commanders go fade or gorge and spam hydras everywhere because they have so much PR built up. This isn't very fair as the marine commander spends all his/her PR on ammo, medpacks, MACs, and ARCs. He/she does not usually have enough PR to spend on shotguns or other equipment upgrades.

I think there should be a couple more researchable "bugs" the alien commander could use, I just don't have any other ideas right now.

What do you think? What would be a bug that you would like to see?

Comments

• PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited July 2011
    Babblers will be introduced into the game soon.

They are like little bug things I suppose.

But similar to this topic:
    I think playing Alien commander is rather boring...
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Maybe Drifters can mutate into different "bugs" using Commander PR, unlocked by number of Hives perhaps.
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    Agreed 100% I'm one of the Gorge commanders that just spams hydras with all his extra Pres. Frankly, it bores me and I wish I could spend Pres on something else.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t111040.html" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/lofive...hp/t111040.html</a>

I googled Babblers just to remember how they spawned but these guys actually started some good ideas.

I like the idea of upgrading RTs, crags, and other things so that they have a "pool" of energy that auto releases Babblers to attack marines. It would also sort've make the flamer thrower more of an important tool for taking out buildings so that if they release babblers, you could flame them up no problem.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Agreed, alien Commander lacks interaction and is not as much fun as the marine Commander.

Thing is that introducing new units is probably not that easy to do since they can't afford making the new model on a whim like that.
    But besides that, I agree that more "bugs" would make the alien Commander more unique/interesting and create a bit of asymmetry between the teams.

And for the obligatory silly idea...
    Maybe the alien Commander gets to have one "hero" unit in the field he can control that uses pRes to activate certain teambuffing abilities or laying parasite-traps etc.
    Considering the Whips/Crags and their activated buffing cloud isn't really working out it could be something.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Hmm... Charlie mentioned that he wanted the alien commander to be a more 'relaxing' experience than the marine commander, so...

I don't really agree with it myself, but yeah.

So there are two (currently related) issues you've outlined:
    - Alien comms don't spend PR.
    - Alien comms lack interaction.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1857745:date=Jul 2 2011, 11:10 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jul 2 2011, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm... Charlie mentioned that he wanted the alien commander to be a more 'relaxing' experience than the marine commander, so...

I don't really agree with it myself, but yeah.

So there are two (currently related) issues you've outlined:
    - Alien comms don't spend PR.
    - Alien comms lack interaction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, it's just a silly thing to say. Basically it means that the Alien Commander is going to be 'less interesting and less intense' almost.
    I think they should have worded it differently or go for another approach.

'The Alien Commander cannot control his units directly but rather suggest or help them out in a more indirect way'.
    That's what Crags (AoE heal), the buffs (AoE buff), pheromone orders (it's not directed at anyone) and building structures (they build themselves) are all about, honestly.

Aliens are more about the individual making the decisions so I think that's what the Commander role should be about too. The alien Commander should be treated more as a class/lifeform than say the strategic overlord that completely depends on his players (marine Comm.). But right now, it's not anything (well perhaps 'relaxing' would be the word) and that's hopefully going to change soon.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    Kharaa structures are like living being that are suppose to assist in combat. Currently, Kharaa Commanders can move Whips around, cast Umbra and Fury, as well as sacrificing Drifters to blind Marines with Flare.

It is unfortunate that most of those abilities have very little impact on the game at this time due to their limitations. Hopefully that will change in the coming weeks.

In the future, Commanders will have more toys to play with, once Shift, Shade and mature versions of Kharaa structures are fully functional. Commanders can direct aliens with pheromone markers. So there will be plenty of tasks to keep the Kharaa Commander engaging.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    I think the Crags "Umbra" should be triggered by the marines.

For example:

If a marine shoots the Crag it will trigger Umbra.
    If a marine shoots any lifeforms (Including Structures) in the area of the Crag it will trigger Umbra.
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1857759:date=Jul 3 2011, 10:49 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Jul 3 2011, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the Crags "Umbra" should be triggered by the marines.

For example:

If a marine shoots the Crag it will trigger Umbra.
    If a marine shoots any lifeforms (Including Structures) in the area of the Crag it will trigger Umbra.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This doesn't address the lack of alien commander interaction.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Since whips can walk, they are almost like an alien NPC. Maybe UWE could make other chambers/structures movable and give them some unique/limited functionality while moving. In particular, something like how the siege cannon in SC has different attacks when mobile or in siege mode could be interesting.
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2011
    I Disagree with everything said in this thread. marine vs alien combat is a finely tuned mechanism. Alien commanders have the ability to trigger the secondary abilities on chambers at will. That's all the interaction with combat they should be allowed to have. if you start giving alien comms the ability to directly influence marive vs alien combat, you'll just end up pissing off marines to the point of "So yeah, that fade should have died like"

This game should always be a first person shooter first, and an RTS second. If you find alien commander to be boring, don't play it till they add a space invaders minigame to keep you entertained, or perhaps a looping video of maximus decimus meridius shouting "Are you not entertained?!" where the minimap should be.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    if i dont write it now, someone else would do it: the game isnt feature complete. maybe you remember which
    chambers the aliens will have (once the game is done) i guess at that point you will have enough interaction,
    decision making and you will kept busy. im not talking about personal res now, thats a different problem
    (resource model should anyway get reworked somehow)...

wait until you have all features avaiable as alien commander, and then start talking again about this topic. it
    makes not so much sense currently. but, im understanding this thread as kind of a warning, that alien comm
    could become boring... well, i dont think so. you will have lots of decisions to make, micro / macro management
    and setting "waypoints" for you field players, especially interaction with the gorges will keep you busy.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1857858:date=Jul 4 2011, 04:29 PM:name=todd1Ok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (todd1Ok @ Jul 4 2011, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game should always be a first person shooter first, and an RTS second.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This I agree with.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you find alien commander to be boring, don't play it till they add a space invaders minigame to keep you entertained, or perhaps a looping video of maximus decimus meridius shouting "Are you not entertained?!" where the minimap should be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This, I don't. Unfun features should be made fun (and not superficially, a la your unserious suggestion) or culled.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1857858:date=Jul 4 2011, 04:29 AM:name=todd1Ok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (todd1Ok @ Jul 4 2011, 04:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I Disagree with everything said in this thread. marine vs alien combat is a finely tuned mechanism. Alien commanders have the ability to trigger the secondary abilities on chambers at will. That's all the interaction with combat they should be allowed to have. if you start giving alien comms the ability to directly influence marive vs alien combat, you'll just end up pissing off marines to the point of "So yeah, that fade should have died like"

This game should always be a first person shooter first, and an RTS second. If you find alien commander to be boring, don't play it till they add a space invaders minigame to keep you entertained, or perhaps a looping video of maximus decimus meridius shouting "Are you not entertained?!" where the minimap should be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're crazy. I watched one of the devs talking about the game being an "e-sport" game, meaning the game is easily understood from a viewers perspective. So this obviously means that they want the game to be high quality. Hopefully not leaving things like this to be an issue when the release date comes. If they do... well it's more for the money, or incoming expansion where they get the funding.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I was thinking before some ability to unleash 'wasps' in marine spawn would be awesome haha
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    edited July 2011
    did anyone see the movie "Screamers"?
    I think commander controlled or summoned creatures like that would fit perfectly in NS2. Burrowing little creatures moving only in the floor of the infestation, making eerie noises when roaming around. You can see a bump where they move and they only pop out just before leaping to attack.
    The reason I like this a lot is because it complements the fragile ambushing alien classes so well without being a meatshield tank like Onos. It would have lousy damage, but the eerie distraction of sound and having to suspensefully wait for it to engage as a marine would be great. Aliens lost some usefulness from NS1 when speed decreased, while twitch-aiming a rifle is easier than ever - distractions would balance the odds (and allow for aliens to be fragile)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WksPMueXkP4&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WksPMueXkP4...feature=related</a>
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1858018:date=Jul 4 2011, 11:58 PM:name=TravCarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TravCarp @ Jul 4 2011, 11:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're crazy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So my psychiatrist tell's me. or at least told me before i sowed his mouth shut
    <!--quoteo(post=1858018:date=Jul 4 2011, 11:58 PM:name=TravCarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TravCarp @ Jul 4 2011, 11:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I watched one of the devs talking about the game being an "e-sport" game, meaning the game is easily understood from a viewers perspective.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was my understanding that an E-sport game is one that is playable at a professional level and is balanced insofar as no team has a distinct advantage.

<!--quoteo(post=1858018:date=Jul 4 2011, 11:58 PM:name=TravCarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TravCarp @ Jul 4 2011, 11:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hopefully not leaving things like this to be an issue when the release date comes. If they do... well it's more for the money, or incoming expansion where they get the funding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd like to introduce you to my friend, sarcasm. Sarcasm, meet travcarp. Travcarp, meet sarcasm.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Sarcasm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sarcasm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, like it's sooo great to meet you<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sure you two will get along great.

Also, while we're at it, let's give the commander's the ability to make anvils fall from the sky so they can kill blinking fades and marines transporting through phase gates. Jesus christ you people are bonkers.

Commanders, both alien and marine, sit in their respective chairs far from the frontlines of combat. They should never have the ability to offensively aid a fade or marine in active combat vs the other team. if we suddenly start giving the commanders the ability to do this, you start going into the realm of "Wtf how did i die omfg thats SOOOOOO cheap RAGEQUIT" territory ala claymores pre 1.3 BF2. Defensive aid, yes, all for it. Dropping turrets and pgs and medpacks for marines holed up in a base, yes. Producing umbra from a structure and dropping DC's to heal fades making runs on marine start, YES. YES YES YES.

having a whip run into marine start at the same speed as a skulk and start killing things while fades and skulks rofl and lmao their ass around structures NO. having marines teleport into hives with trollface masks on while twenty arcs round the corner and instagib the hive?

Actually that sounds like fun.
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    todd10k,

I'm not sure if you've completely forgotten about ARCs, or if you wouldn't classify them as having the "ability to offensively aid" the marine team, but they do exist, and they do provide the marine commander with interaction in battle to assist marines in destroying alien structures. Also, when looking at the MAC upgrades in the Robotics Factory, I think the MAC will have some limited offensive ability as well once researched. Since these are commander-only units (requiring PR and the commander to control them), I don't understand your argument that this negatively impacts gameplay and non-commander players wouldn't be able to react to these units in-game.

I agree with you that commanders should have some control in providing defensive aid to their respective teams. Right now only the marine commander can drop ammo / medpacks on the fly in battle, which have great benefits for the marines on the ground. The alien commander can only sit and watch the team's lifeforms -- no ability for interaction besides activating umbra and moving whips.

The point of this thread was to create some discussion on how the alien commander can interact more directly with the alien team, and how PR could be spent on this interaction. Once the onos lifeform is introduced into the game, I think you'll see some alien commander evolve into it since they sit with a load of PR the entire round of play. Imagine the marine team trying to take down a hive and an onos pops out of it to destroy them all. This would be fair if the marine commander didn't need to spend PR, but he/she does, so you won't be seeing many commanders with an exosuit and a minigun because they won't be able to afford it (due to spending PR on ARCs, MACs, ammo, medpacks).
    Also, I realize that NS2 is in beta and features are not fully implemented. My concern is that I haven't read anything on how alien commanders will be able to spend PR. I see this as a problem because this allows the alien team to have another team member with the ability to purchase upgrades since they cannot spend PR on commander actions. The same isn't true for marines, which I see as a balance issue. My suggestions to create "bugs" was just an idea to provide some interaction for the alien commander so he/she feels more involved in battles and has a more active experience (while also solving the commander PR problem).
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Maybe commanders can buy extra energy with their res?
    I think that PR and energy for the alien team are not well-defined when in commander mode. What should be the difference, or rather, what is the difference between them? If you're forcing the marine commander to spend PR on things that benefit the marine team, the same should be true for aliens instead of creating self-replenishing "energy".

I wouldn't mind seeing infestation cost PR instead of energy. This makes more sense to me as the more resources you gather (from res nodes), it should allow for the creation of more infestation instead of tying it to a fixed tick rate for energy. Drifters should still cost energy, and same with umbra and other chamber-related abilities that are triggered.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    expansion is tied to resource income (in every rts), but somehow this is not true for aliens, only for marines.
    your expansion is always limited by hive energy, which you need to make drifters + infestation.

so i would suggest inspired by hf_ that alien res towers CREATE infestation rather than need it
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Or infestation costs Tres instead of energy?