ns2_nucleus

evasivemonkeyevasivemonkey Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70555Members
Hey everyone, thought i'd show a bit of what i've been working on in my spare time the last few weeks.
They should all be viewable here: <a href="http://imageshack.us/g/18/63002919.jpg/" target="_blank">View Screenshots</a>
I've never mapped before so tips would be appreciated, this isnt a really serious attempt at it ive just been having fun in the editor, learning as i go along.

Marine Start (95% complete)

There is a outside area I made, the light from the sun will look nice shining through into marine start when the powernode goes down (im assuming, i haven't been able to get the powernode working to test it)

Maintenence Hallway (80% complete)

The left hallway leading out of marine start (still needs more detail)

Generator (90% complete)

So yeah, any tips/advice would be great and I hope you like it! :)

Comments

• JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2011
    Well a few tips for you, in quite a few screenshots , of the very confusing locations, you have used a trim texture or not aligned them properly so they come out looking rather repetative or very bland. Try to figure out what the purpose of that room is and possibly research it online to see if you can find real life references to what your building, or perhaps look at various games and/or the maps already displayed on the forums on how the different props and textures are used effectively.
    Because from the looks of things some of the props you have placed down are overused or are placed randomly, look at what your placing down and try to envision what it would be used for, and again for help you could always just give the NS2 maps a run through just to get a good view of how certain areas look.
    Like try and breaking up the floor with interesting architecture, adding a pipe running under the floor that you can view through some grating, same with the ceiling, just little details like that make for a more interesting area, rather than creating square rooms and then adding props and lighting.

Since this is your first time mapping, it's not TERRIBLY bad first attempt, but at the moment it looks rather confusing and i can't find out where one location leads into another, try and create a theme (a set of props, textures, lighting style and an overall look), stick with it to create a more coherent map that flows from one room to another.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Well I can't give such good advice as Janos, I will just say there are some nice details (I like the long strip light curving around one side e.g.), but there doesn't seem to be a cohesive structure or sense of a solid architecture holding everything together.
  • endlesschangeendlesschange Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105800Members
    cool map i need to try out that editor and see what i can do
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Any word on this? It seemed you had some areas pretty much complete by the screens :|
  • evasivemonkeyevasivemonkey Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70555Members
    edited January 2012
    Hey everyone, I had a period without net for a while but im back and i've been working hard. I know spark much better so i've put the rooms from the screens aside, basically everything has been redone and im around 30% complete with the map as a whole.

<!--quoteo(post=1893151:date=Jan 9 2012, 04:44 AM:name=vizioNz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizioNz @ Jan 9 2012, 04:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any word on this? It seemed you had some areas pretty much complete by the screens :|<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the interest! I'll be getting some screens ready as soon as possible :)

(edit)

Had some spare time so here they are, I'll do my best to explain in order as the screens go. <a href="http://imageshack.us/g/52/2012010900001.jpg/" target="_blank">Screenshots</a>

Okay first is marine start, named Observation Deck(watches over the functions of the whole facility) atm but most of the room names will change.
    I'd say its around 90%, still a few things to fix and details to add.

The 2nd room you see is Solar Generator, it reroutes the light into the catchment to keep power to the generator which runs this science facilities basic functions. It's just outside marine start. Since there is 3 entrances into marine start and 2 of them have doors, solar should be the main defence point for marines until onos. It's around 90% too, I try to make each room through something orginally made rather then props, but it could probably use a few more still.

The next one you see is out the left door from marine start, its called glass hall as a placeholder. It will most likely be called Powergrid as the lights on the ground show the status of power to all main rooms in the facility. If the light corresponding to marine start is down, for example, that light will go red(also works reversed). I'd say 60-70% complete.

Past that is Tech Lab, marines best first choice to push but i've put alien hive there for the screens as an example. This is where new tech is developed etc. This room would have more complicated battles sided toward jetpacks im imagining, it may need to be bigger though. It's only around 50% but it's coming along. The rest of the screens is the same rooms through alien vision and without power.

So yeah, my 2nd attempt at mapping and any comments/tips would be much appreciated!

Oh and i want to thank everyone who gave feedback! I couldnt come on for a while but i've been taking your advice with my new work, thanks again :)
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Thanks for the response! I would love to try out and alpha version as soon as you was to privately release one to me! :)