Hive Locations

xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Hive Placement</div>Is there a way that a hive can be placed Really far above the ground, so where as a marine tech point would get built as usual the hive would build wherever the mapper decided to place it above the tech point. I think this would definitely change the game in a big way and add a much more interesting set of choices for aliens and marine weaponry. It would be cool to see alien hives hanging up in some big epic rooms where shotguns cant necessarily just destroy them because of the range.

Comments

• SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    2 things to consider on this.

1. How will a gorge become commander
    2. I'm out of ammo i i can't reach the hive with my axe

I'm sure the hive could be placed higher than a tech point with a mod, but this would cause all spawned objects (cc included) to spawn at that spacing. I think we are going to be limited to hive height where it's at as the cinematic and model work is already complete for the animations of it breaking thru the tech point.

I think if you want it high you will have to build a shelf or something similar to support the tech point or you will have a floating techpoint.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    1. Im sure they can code it so you can draw the box of where they can access the hive from
    2. Sucks for you. Or create some sort of ramp or ladder that can take you close enough.

Its probably a coding issue more than a map editor one.. i was just gonna throw it out there.
  • endlesschangeendlesschange Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105800Members
    yeah lets make the aliens even more oped
    Explain how this would be overpowered, in the long run. Present an argument and be constructive.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856830:date=Jun 27 2011, 05:52 PM:name=endlesschange)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endlesschange @ Jun 27 2011, 05:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah lets make the aliens even more oped<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really do believe that comment is irrelevant. I tend to like my alien start elevated and only accessible via ladders, elevator or JP. The way i see it is if the marines have pushed the aliens back that far then the tech is in place for JP and ARC anyways. so an elevated hive for the start hive is no big setback for marines. However it could actually hurt the aliens as it is a bit harder to conceal it behind obstacles and for the gorge or onos class to access the commander roll. It's something that has to be accessible to non flying,wall walking, teleporting aliens.

Remember ALL marine weapons are Ranged with the exception of the rifle butt and axe.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    What happens then if the marines rush the alien hive early in the game to get a cheeky win? All they have then is their ranged weapons to deal out damage and the bog standard rifle does low dps vs the axe when attacking alien structures, they would be left with no ammo and barely any damage dealt and then the only way to defend themselves would be melee.
    Having the hive up high , as to have the marines only way to dealing damage to it is to use up all their ammo, would mean they have to wait until late game where they have JP's and ARC's to be effective when assaulting the Hive.
    To be honest it would give the aliens too much of an advantage, in my opinion anyway.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    How would you have the tentacles reach down and bury themselves in the tech point from a variable height?
    The marines having trouble killing it is less of an issue to me though the mapper should always have some sort of footpath/catwalk at hive level. And concealing it would be part of the mappers plan, he would have to account for the hive being in a exposed place, make the entry into that room very easy to defend or do something really creative! The gorge not being able to get into a hive is sort of an issue i agree, an onos running into a hive would be a last ditch effort to survive but i don't think this is an issue because he would know that before he tried it.. that he cant hide in there.

-The gorge not being able to reach the hive is the biggest issue. aesthetics vs functionality. Getting picked up by the hive vs teleporting from under it into hive.