Are we going to get fixes and minor improvements anytime soon?

MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
I understand and agree that the main game is a priority at the moment but can't the devs squeeze in the odd fix or improvement now and then? im not talking anything major here, i would just like to see silly little issues fixed, like things magically welding at random or how the viewports aren't set up properly, north should be up on the top down view and dragging something left or right shows up going in the opposite direction in the other two, simple stuff like that which gets annoying.

Please give the editor some love now and then, its not asking much to get the odd update ever few patches.

One thing i don't get is why the editor doesn't use the same game engine, performance would be quite good now if it did.

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited June 2011
    There was a thread ages back.

For example we had the screen bug fixed and the displacement tool added to the public version.

And it doesn't use the same version of the engine because that right now would require what I could imagine as lots of upkeep.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Ya it could use a lot of minor improvements, I've been keeping ideas in my head.

I think ctrl + f when selecting a model should flip the model 180 degrees.

I think placing a model should always make it face the camera, and not clip into the ground.

Particles not showing in the editor.

There is a bug where when moving certain models, which are usually beams, they will jerk out of position and do a 180.

Selected models do not stand out in the 2D views and cannot be seen easily.

Scaling models cannot but done in several views. You cannot scale a wall model from the top view. This is hard for me to describe but a very big deal.

I'll make a big list one day : ) I'm very happy with how it functions now though, good enough!
  • BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    You can flip models with the "Flip 'X, Y, Z" commands. And I've had that bug where the models rotate around too. The best way I've found to deal with it is to just move it once so it flips the wrong way, then move it again so it flips back to normal, and place it where you want before you let go.

Personally I would love a cordon tool that would only show whatever is in the bounds of the cube when activated.

I think I remember reading that Max is going to make atmospheric lighting available for use in game "soon". I think that some of the optimizations will be tied with it and will find its way into the editor.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Models changing their angle during transformation can be fixed with avoiding 90/-90° for the y-angle.
    Try 89.99° or the closest you can get to 90 without the issue showing up.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited June 2011
    Just remembered another thing which i don't quite get, why when using the rectangle tool does the grid move with the cursor?

Surely in the 2d views it makes more sense to see the normal grid, perhaps it could highlight the normal one instead of replacing it with a moving and faded one?

Another thing, why does stuff go off the grid and align oddly when using the move tool? it's silly little things like this that need fixing, the main edges of an object should always align to the grid, even simple blocks jump off most of the time!
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856697:date=Jun 27 2011, 10:33 AM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Jun 27 2011, 10:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just remembered another thing which i don't quite get, why when using the rectangle tool does the grid move with the cursor?

Surely in the 2d views it makes more sense to see the normal grid, perhaps it could highlight the normal one instead of replacing it with a moving and faded one?

Another thing, why does stuff go off the grid and align oddly when using the move tool? it's silly little things like this that need fixing, the main edges of an object should always align to the grid, even simple blocks jump off most of the time!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a total mystery man. This problem existed even when mapping for Quake.

I think the problem is fixable, using some quadratic expression. Kinda similar to Pi, there must be a secret number to discover that fixes this!
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    I wonder what the circumference of this record is?
    I wonder what the area is!

You couldnt solve any of that without pi?

Whats pi?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDu351QNoZE" target="_blank">Did someone say pi?</a>
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1856331:date=Jun 25 2011, 08:05 AM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Jun 25 2011, 08:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I understand and agree that the main game is a priority at the moment but can't the devs squeeze in the odd fix or improvement now and then? im not talking anything major here, i would just like to see silly little issues fixed, like things magically welding at random or how the viewports aren't set up properly, north should be up on the top down view and dragging something left or right shows up going in the opposite direction in the other two, simple stuff like that which gets annoying.

Please give the editor some love now and then, its not asking much to get the odd update ever few patches.

One thing i don't get is why the editor doesn't use the same game engine, performance would be quite good now if it did.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I definitely want to make improvements to the editor soon (especially the last one you mention, making it use the same rendering system as the game), but I'm stretched a bit too thin at the moment. We're trying to hire an another engine programmer though, so hopefully we'll find someone and we'll be able to tackle those before too long.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    +1 Yess please give some love to the editor.

Its been more than 4 months and very less imporvements on the editor side.
    <!--quoteo(post=1856768:date=Jun 27 2011, 07:20 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jun 27 2011, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I definitely want to make improvements to the editor soon (especially the last one you mention, making it use the same rendering system as the game), but I'm stretched a bit too thin at the moment. We're trying to hire an another engine programmer though, so hopefully we'll find someone and we'll be able to tackle those before too long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks Max for letting us know, it would be really cool to see the editor with the same rendering engine and a few more fixes/improvements, the editor is pretty good otherwise, probably the best mapping tool i've used, if a few of these issues were taken care of i don't think we could ask for much more!
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    I would swear that the editor is software rendered, which is part of the reason for the absolutely dreadful performance, but saying that makes me think back to the 15x builds where the game performed just as badly on a high-mid end GPU. Editor definitely needs some lovin'.
    I keep coming across one thing that annoys me again and again, it's how things randomly weld together after saving and opening a map, it makes editing a real pain. If we were allowed only one fix for the next few months i wish it was this as it's a serious problem that should of been sorted by now.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1856768:date=Jun 27 2011, 11:20 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jun 27 2011, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I definitely want to make improvements to the editor soon (especially the last one you mention, making it use the same rendering system as the game), but I'm stretched a bit too thin at the moment. We're trying to hire an another engine programmer though, so hopefully we'll find someone and we'll be able to tackle those before too long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When you do get a chance to work on it, could you take a look at <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112299" target="_blank">this thread</a>. It has a fairly comprehensive list of features/bug fixes people would like to see.
    <!--quoteo(post=1857346:date=Jun 30 2011, 06:20 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 30 2011, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you do get a chance to work on it, could you take a look at <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112299" target="_blank">this thread</a>. It has a fairly comprehensive list of features/bug fixes people would like to see.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that along with some of the stuff in <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111608" target="_blank">this thread</a> are worth looking at, i just hope we get a fix for random welding sometime soon, it's the main issue putting me off mapping at the moment.