[map Idea] Cave System

ajmasajmas Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9632Members, Constellation
The notion of an alien cave system would be a good one (and probably already suggested). At least we need to add an alternative theme to the 'aliens invaded the humans', with something like 'the humans invaded the aliens'. This would allow for levels where there is less technology and more tunnels, lava flows, underground streams, etc. The marines would even have their command post in alien terrain. Maybe an explanation to why the aliens only have one hive would be that the aliens hive only recently landed a remote moon, and the humans are on the offensive and are out to invade any new settlements.

If you really need the notion 'how did the humans get here?'. then maybe having a small drop ship located at the bottom of a natural shaft. Inside the drop ship would be the command post. Walking out of the ship and looking up you would see a bit of sky above the shaft (this would be the only outdoors you would see) and in front of you would be a huge cavern, where the marines can build their equipement.

There could also be other shafts where light streams in.

Added to this, maybe the notion of a biological spaceship for the starting point of the aliens?

Idea is free to be used by anyone

Comments

• AngelAngel Join Date: 2002-07-09 Member: 902Members
    That would be better for an alien vs alien map. If say a marine ship crash landed onto their planet.
  • ImaTargetImaTarget Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3415Members
    i actually like that idea ALOT! currently it feels like the marines are fighting a "loosing war" they are mostly defending or taking back. never attacking. i would love such a map. besides it would be a real mapping challenge to crate good looking caverns in the HL engine. but well look at the new James Bond game Nightfire. its the (heavily modified) HL engine and looks darn good.
  • OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    sounds good.
    great athmosphere.
  • WheatevoWheatevo Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9074Members
    I know that I shouldn't care, but how would the marines place buildings without their nano-tech ship? There would be no way for them to make their buildings if we look at the storyline.

However, I would gladly give it the thumbs up for an aliens versus aliens match.
  • evoLvingeviLevoLvingeviL Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7802Members
    edited December 2002
    The problem is that then the Command Console wouldn't work, as there's supposed to be nanobots everwhere to spit health and ammo from the ceiling. If it's alien territory, no nanobots.

Anyways, my map ns_corian has rocky caves (yay!) but they're Marine territory, and thus they have nanobots, as well as technology and metal and such, imbedded in the rock. The ns_corian setting is in a communications / navigation relay outpost on a moon. The outpost has underground tunnels between the different sections.

The topic for ns_corian has some info on it if anyone's interested. (it was shoved off the first page, and I have no real new info to bump it with. Screenies coming as soon as I finish texturing.)

[EDIT] First paragraph is now old news, someone posted a second before me.
  • BigwigBigwig Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1646Members
    Would a deep-space asteroid mine have nano technology?
  • KatsuroKatsuro Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4809Members
    So, the nanobots are in the floor or something. Weather theres a ceiling or not, the stuff will still appear where the captain puts it. So relax evolv, just let people make some cool maps instead of getting all bent out of shape.

Besides, a cave map would be pretty fun, and i would like to play in it.
  • VyvnVyvn Join Date: 2002-08-24 Member: 1226Members
    Yeah, my map has some of this stuff in it. Just watch, and after a few weeks a whole new array of map settings will be created.
  • ajmasajmas Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9632Members, Constellation
    Do nanobots really need a technology based environment to move around? Surely you could introduce the notion of a nanobot factory on the lander, and the nanobots move into the alien teritory ready for use?
  • WheatevoWheatevo Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9074Members
    The problem there is that the nanobots would not be able to move into the more infested areas due to the bacteria, allowing you to take a hive. There would just be too many storyline problems in my opinion.
  • evoLvingeviLevoLvingeviL Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7802Members
    edited December 2002
    Mweeh, it doesn't really matter in mose cases. The whole idea of an NS map is that the Marines were there first and then the systems were locked up by the Kharaa bacteria, and then the CC 'flushed out' and reset the system. As long as the map was initially Marine territory, everything's cool.