Tickrate.

ShEpShEp Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72597Members
Hi !

First of all I would just like to say thank you for making this game, and congrats on the latest builds, it's amazing how far the game has come !

I did have a question though, which is also a pretty big concern of mine, about tickrate. Just to be clear, I am <b>NOT</b> talking about current server-side performance.

I remember reading that the updaterate/tickrate in ns2 will be 30 - why so low ? I played competitive Left 4 Dead (if there is such a thing) for a while, and I can tell you one of the major beefs competitive players had with the game from a competitive standpoint was the not-so-accurate hit-registration and the terrible melee registration. Meleeing special infected felt very random and down to luck for a lot of people !

As years go by games seem to go for lower and lower tickrates (101 in HL games, 66 in early source games, 30 in left 4 dead...), which makes hit-registration inaccurate, or results in weird situations where lag compensation plays too big of a role (dying when you're already around the corner on your screen ?).

Hopefully you can tell me more about this, and apologize if I've gotten it all wrong !
Alex.

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    A higher tick rate uses more resources.

I think the technical terms are 30 tick / 300 FPS max and 60 tick / 600FPS at a rough estimate. It's always confused me why tickrate 100(/1000) is needed.

And do we really need a second thread for this?
  • ShEpShEp Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72597Members
    edited June 2011
    Sorry, did a quick search and even though I've seen it mentionned, I did not find another thread for this. Didn't really spend too much time searching though so my bad.

I understand higher tickrate means more resources, but it would be great if server owners had the option to make it higher (to a limited extent) if they have the hardware to support it.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    It is possble when the code is more optimized.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I'm sure there will be an option to set the tick rate within a reasonable range, but right now it's not important because servers can't even keep a steady 30 ticks per second. That will change sooner or later. I believe there's no reason to worry about it.
  • ShEpShEp Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72597Members
    I understand it's not possible right now, of course. I was referring to when the game goes retail.

Thanx for the answers !
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854492:date=Jun 19 2011, 05:47 PM:name=ShEp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ShEp @ Jun 19 2011, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry, did a quick search and even though I've seen it mentionned, I did not find another thread for this. Didn't really spend too much time searching though so my bad.

I understand higher tickrate means more resources, but it would be great if server owners had the option to make it higher (to a limited extent) if they have the hardware to support it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because server goes ###### up with more than 15-20 players at target tickrate 30. None of the games that have a lot stuff happening run at target tickrate higher than 30.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1854492:date=Jun 19 2011, 03:47 PM:name=ShEp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ShEp @ Jun 19 2011, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry, did a quick search and even though I've seen it mentionned, I did not find another thread for this. Didn't really spend too much time searching though so my bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's sort of on the first page and has been all day, titled "Server tickrate".
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    How is the dev team with multi-threaded programming? It's been used with great effect in other games.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854519:date=Jun 19 2011, 07:28 PM:name=jkflipflop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkflipflop @ Jun 19 2011, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is the dev team with multi-threaded programming? It's been used with great effect in other games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like which games?
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Flight sims probably. There's not that much to gain from multi-threading in FPS games, and it comes with lots of new and exciting ways of screwing things up.
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854539:date=Jun 19 2011, 12:01 PM:name=MOOtant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOOtant @ Jun 19 2011, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like which games?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Battlefield BC2, ARMA2, Crysis, anything that runs on UE3, anything that runs on Source.
    I don't know all the details obviously, but I'm sure if you take a really close look at how those work it will turn out the stuff that's being done by different threads is either not part of the bulk, or doesn't apply to a game like NS2.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1854680:date=Jun 20 2011, 05:49 AM:name=jkflipflop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkflipflop @ Jun 20 2011, 05:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854680"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Battlefield BC2, ARMA2, Crysis, anything that runs on UE3, anything that runs on Source.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't speak for the other ones, but the Source server is single threaded. There's some minor stuff that goes on in alternate threads, but it's not really enough to consider the server multithreaded.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Seeking the solution of low tickrates in multi-core usage is probably not the best of ideas, not unless you want NS2-servers to become downright unaffordable for the majority of hosts. The NS2-servers currently out there are pretty damn fast and cannot reasonably be used as a benchmark or reference-material come 1.0. The tickrate needs to be at least 30-33, and be able to maintain that level when the going gets rough (some exceptions can be made for some serious turret\hydra\DI-spam, but the point stands), dropping below 20-25 shouldn't ever occur. On top of that, like I said, most servers won't be as powerful as what is being used right now, so you should in fact aim a little higher than 30-33.

Though at this point I think most server-operators would settle for a stable server that is able to keep running for 48+ hours without running into issues (low tickrate\memory-leaks\ghosts and whatnot).