How is NS2?

fgdgafdffgdgafdf Join Date: 2011-06-08 Member: 103301Members
I have checked the NS2 site over the years, seems like this game has been a long time coming. I have read posts around the forum to get an idea of what the current state is.

Wanted to ask, what is NS 2 like? I loved NS mode in NS1, combat was okay for the quick action. I read a long thread about the comm for marines playing a smaller role, which has me less excited. There was nothing better than hopping in the chair and winning the loyalty of your marines by executing a perfect base relocate, or the early hive take over. It was all about strategy and coordination.

I guess, for any NS1 players that primarily played NS for the teamwork/strategy aspect back when. Is NS2 shaping up to be something good? Does it still retain those elements?

Also wondering what the beta is like, number of players, servers, etc.

It seems like this game was announced a long time ago shortly after the release of the source engine, but that was, well, a long time ago... Over the years I figured it was dead.

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851010:date=Jun 9 2011, 02:16 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Jun 9 2011, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->welcome, 103-301<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That one is just not getting old.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851011:date=Jun 8 2011, 08:22 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jun 8 2011, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That one is just not getting old.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in my defense, it's actually easier calling him by number this time.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    I've now played for about 2 weeks...it is a deep game with lots of strategic potential. Sure in the pubs there isn't always a ton of strategy, but I can imagine a nice competitive scene opening up. Teamwork is important. It is very similar to NS1, but missing some features (that have yet to be put in) and with some new ones that add to the strategic and overall atmosphere. If you enjoyed NS1 you will enjoy NS2.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    I literally just came out of a game running build 178.

It's GREAT.

The last time I played was a couple of months after alpha was released, in which it was of course unplayable. Now, though, games are actually fun and can be played out to full length.

Buy it.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    edited June 2011
    DJpenguin is just the bestest and funniest member on this forum xD

now BTT.. hm, let's describe it really short

connection problem
    Lag
    Fun
    Fun
    Fun
    LAAAAG
    skulk chewing your leg off
    you get a kill
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN
    Fun
    Fun
    Fun
    Fun
    LAG
    Teamplay
    FFUUUUUUN
    FUUUUn
    FUUN
    ARC sinks into techpoint
    RAGE
    rage
    fun
    LAAAAG
    server crash
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    The game is a lot of fun now, and it is the most exciting time to join up right now, because we get weekly patches. There maybe a lot of bugs, but they are killing bugs left and right and the game is really starting to shape up right now.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No lag for me, game has been running fine since I came back 2 patches ago.