Fix Hydra Hitbox

nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
edited May 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Please Please Please</div>Hi,

first of all: I love the game. It shaping up.
The only thing that annoys me are on marine-sg-rush on alien harvesters in early game and the hitboxes of hydras.
The sg is beeing worked on as I see. Great.

But please also fix the Hydrahitbox. They are impossible to shoot. At least if you dont have a FT.

Thanks. Keep up the great work!

Dolce & Lebowski

Comments

• Saint RawSaint Raw Join Date: 2011-05-18 Member: 99414Members
    +1

Make the hydra's bigger in general.
    Compensate with higher health.

They aren't strong, they're just damn anoying to shoot from any distance not point blank.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848764:date=May 27 2011, 10:49 AM:name=Saint Raw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saint Raw @ May 27 2011, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

Make the hydra's bigger in general.
    Compensate with higher health.

They aren't strong, they're just damn anoying to shoot from any distance not point blank.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i think the amount of health is ok. right now you need 3 to 4 sg shots to kill one. alos size is fine for me. the point for me is that the hitbox is just the base of the hydra.
  • vlncvlnc Join Date: 2010-09-07 Member: 73921Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1848772:date=May 27 2011, 05:19 PM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ May 27 2011, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think the amount of health is ok. right now you need 3 to 4 sg shots to kill one. alos size is fine for me. the point for me is that the hitbox is just the base of the hydra.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with you, it's hard to hit them.

You really need to focus on the base so a larger hitbox should be good.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I would imagine this is to allow Aliens to move through clumps of Hydra patches, rather than running on top of them... as the hit box calculates collisions with Aliens as well as enemy projectiles, you get the idea.
    The larger the box the more the Aliens float above the sea of Hydras waving in the ...errr... exhaust emmisions.

One solution is to have 2 hitboxes , but that would double the calculations of each Hydra and Hydras aint the most efficient server resource at the moment.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1848782:date=May 27 2011, 10:04 AM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ May 27 2011, 10:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848782"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would imagine this is to allow Aliens to move through clumps of Hydra patches, rather than running on top of them... as the hit box calculates collisions with Aliens as well as enemy projectiles, you get the idea.
    The larger the box the more the Aliens float above the sea of Hydras waving in the ...errr... exhaust emmisions.

One solution is to have 2 hitboxes , but that would double the calculations of each Hydra and Hydras aint the most efficient server resource at the moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd rather have aliens-floating-over-hydras than the current hitboxes. Shooting the tentacles does little, if any, damage. I regularly watch players get bogged down by one or two hydras because its hard to keep your target on the hydra base when each spike causes your screen to move.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Just let aliens move right through hydras if that doesn't already happen, they're just tentacles, so they can bend out of the way.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    I wanted size increased of the hydras awhile ago, but for different reasons. making gorge chambers bigger helps the gorge hide behind his own chambers as he did in ns1 but now hiding behind hydras is totally useless.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1848825:date=May 27 2011, 04:53 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ May 27 2011, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wanted size increased of the hydras awhile ago, but for different reasons. making gorge chambers bigger helps the gorge hide behind his own chambers as he did in ns1 but now hiding behind hydras is totally useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

agreed, bring back oc/dc walls, make gl more desirable.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    If hydras were made easier to kill what would be the aliens counter to an early sg-rush on harvesters? It's already incredibly easy for a single marine to sprint around the map and knock out harvesters before an alien can even make it over to defend, let alone a group of marines.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848881:date=May 28 2011, 01:49 AM:name=shiv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shiv @ May 28 2011, 01:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If hydras were made easier to kill what would be the aliens counter to an early sg-rush on harvesters? It's already incredibly easy for a single marine to sprint around the map and knock out harvesters before an alien can even make it over to defend, let alone a group of marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the sg thing is also something that annoys me. but thats been tweaked.
    My point was not making it easy to kill the hydras. It was to make it at least possible to kill them. e.g. when you stand in gully path on rockdown facing east harvester which is covered in hydras. if you try to kill those hydras without beeing killed be them you need to keep distance. but now you need at least one pistol round just to find the hitbox of the hydra. so if you are a lucky one and can find it you must not move your mouse to continue attack after each round. the result is. you need to be undesturbed which is unlikeli to happen.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    The upper tentacle part of the hydra is mostly empty space, so it makes sense that the hitbox doesn't cover that. Aim at its solid base.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848828:date=May 27 2011, 10:08 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ May 27 2011, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->agreed, bring back oc/dc walls, make gl more desirable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The devs have already said that they don't want this kind of gameplay, so I think it's probably not going to happen
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1848902:date=May 28 2011, 06:19 AM:name=Iacto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iacto @ May 28 2011, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The devs have already said that they don't want this kind of gameplay, so I think it's probably not going to happen<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

doesn't matter if the devs want this or not, it already happens, people will fill a room with hydras crags and whips. so maybe the won't stack anymore, nbd, hydras stick to walls.

this gameplay mechanic already exists. why not let us stack them?
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hydras can easily be taken out by a single GL with a few shotguns covering him and the commander dropping med/ammo. It's all about teamwork. Before you get GL, use your pistol and dont aim for the tentacles, they move.
    When the ARC arrives they will be nothing more than speedbumbs.
  • SquidgetSquidget Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17334Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848905:date=May 28 2011, 07:33 AM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ May 28 2011, 07:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->doesn't matter if the devs want this or not, it already happens, people will fill a room with hydras crags and whips. so maybe the won't stack anymore, nbd, hydras stick to walls.

this gameplay mechanic already exists. why not let us stack them?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree, it definitely does matter, because that means the devs are going to tweak it somewhere along the line. Maybe more refinement of the density limits. It's not like the devs are going to throw their hands up and quit...

I think stacking is ugly, non-immersive, and leads to static D fests in the early game. Not a fan.

Assuming shotties are going to be nerfed, marines are going to need a early-to-mid counter. Most importantly, they need a <u>cost-effective</u> counter against something that only costs (roughly) 10 solo res. Hydras are cheap and need to be balanced accordingly.

The pistol is the logical counter, which is why I agree that a larger hitbox would be helpful. Alternately, remove the crosshair-bump effect from the hydra spikes, to make the pistol easier to use.
  • Eletro BullEletro Bull Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101560Members
    edited May 2011
    I find at the moment taking down Hydras real easy.

If they are some distance away i'll normally find a corner, whip out my pistol, put it on the second setting (i normally have this as default when I pop out of the IP, as I find the first setting pretty pointless) and then make sure I can see the base of the Hydra. I then make sure that the Line of Sight of the central axis of the Hydra is blocked by the corner, after this I shoot the ###### out of it (aiming at the base) and still be at 100 Hp and full armor.

If the Hydra is close to the corner I just whip out the shotgun, strafe left and right constantly (quickly) while running at it, then while on just in front of the Hydra continue to strafe and look directly down at the base of the Hydra (which should look like a big circle) and proceed to unload 2 shotgun shells to kill it. I've never dropped below 70 Hp while taking out a Hydra or Whip this way.

On the subject of a gorge wall to hide behind, why not have a secondary ability to the gorge infestation, basically it's a wall, but it can only grow on gorge infestation therefore its a life limited wall (3 mins) unless the gorge vomits more infestation. This is basically a structure that grows from the infestation itself, but is place much like a hydra is placed. The placement of the wall will simply look like a differently coloured heal spray. Since the gorge is not building a structure visually, just spraying hormones to encourage the infestation to grow virtically and the outer layers to go hard and sticky to absorb the bullets and grenades from GLs (grenades stick and don't bounce off).

My thoughts...
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I find hydras way too easy to take down.

I guess I learned through experimentation to shoot lower.
    But yeah not too many shots by my lonesome...and with another player = so fast

right now I equate hydras to a small rock placed in the path of a marine.
    The marine may stub his toe on the rock but a well aimed kick sends it out of the way.

I would say if they are going to up the hitbox look into making them
    a) a little tougher
    b) a little more scary

Seriously hydras are no more threat than time.
    The good thing is that they are super cool looking, they stick to walls, and I enjoy watching them grow
    So all the rest is stat, hitbox tweaking.

that's my opinion...out
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    They're not supposed to be more than speedbumps, so that's alright. The problem is when the terrain doesn't let you get a good angle on them, then they're nearly impossible to kill without getting close, and that usually puts you in range of 4 or 5 hydras...
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Why not give Hydras placement radius validation? Say they have to be 5 metres or so apart from each other.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    +1
    The hitboxes are horrible. If the devs want to make them hard to kill, fine -- give them lots of health. But the lack of a good hitbox makes shooting them very frustrating; especially when they are behind a ledge or at the top of a ramp and their base is obscured.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1849146:date=May 30 2011, 04:07 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ May 30 2011, 04:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not give Hydras placement radius validation? Say they have to be 5 metres or so apart from each other.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why?

<!--quoteo(post=1849362:date=May 31 2011, 02:03 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ May 31 2011, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1
    The hitboxes are horrible. If the devs want to make them hard to kill, fine -- give them lots of health. But the lack of a good hitbox makes shooting them very frustrating; especially when they are behind a ledge or at the top of a ramp and their base is obscured.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the rule of thumb should be: If it can see/hit you, you should be able to see/hit it.