Frozen Synapse

sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
An immense indie game, brimming with tactics. It's buy one get one free on Steam <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/98200/" target="_blank">here.</a>

Add me! Account name is Rope.

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->I swore there was a thread on this already but a forum search returend a mySQL error.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Yeah, I tried to search for it too and bump the old thread, but I couldn't find it. My username is Scythe, Zaggy's is ZaggyNL. We should get some games going.

--Scythe--
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    Did it get better? I remember you were kind of on the fence about it Sycthe.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109432&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=109432&hl=</a>
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited May 2011
    The fundimentals are pretty similar to how they were back then, but there's been a fair amount of polishing done since. The UI is pretty slick and the concurrent game stuff works well.

--Scythe--

P.S. Sherpa, I challenged you to a game.

P.P.S.S. I'm on the UK2 server.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Email exchange between me and someone from Mode 7:

<!--QuoteBegin-Me+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Me)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So today I was again reminded of your game, Frozen Synapse, after it had pretty much slipped off my radar. I watched TotalHalibut's "WTF is Frozen Synapse?" video on youtube (I have not included a link for fear that this might cause my message to get filtered as spam), and his enthusiasm about the game intrigued me. Not enough to buy it, but certainly enough to try the demo. The demo that, I discovered, doesn't exist.

I think your game needs one. Your game is very unique. A friend of mine who bought it described it as "niche." This puts you in both good and bad company - good company because you innovate, bad company for the very same reason. Unusual games are a hard sell. Gamers are risk-averse, especially the younger segment who don't have a lot of spare cash floating around, and the games industry is full of great, innovative games that never get to enjoy the fame and success they deserve.

I don't know if a demo will help promote your game, but I'd like to think so. If your game is as good as TotalHalibut claims, giving it a try could convince a lot of the people who'd otherwise say "nah, that doesn't look like my kind of thing." I think you should work on a demo.

Regards,
    lolfighter<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-Reply+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reply)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks for this - we are definitely considering doing a demo.

Best,

Paul

Mode 7<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I realized after the fact that I sound preachy and am probably telling them something they're very well aware of. But then again, it's one thing to suspect it yourself, another thing to have it confirmed by others. Either way, I'm waiting for the demo.

Aforementioned video is <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108433&st=2600&p=1849048&#entry1849048" target="_blank">in the Youtube thread</a> and <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJrUY27O0Y" target="_blank">on Youtube.</a>
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Nah, that doesn't look like my kind of thing. Maybe if there was a demo.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Looks really good but I've never been good with the whole "what is your opponent thinking you are thinking thinking?" strategy games.
    I once started a game by intricately plotting out the moves of my opponent's dudes, putting them behind cover, and spreading them out to protect against a grenade taking them all out, then I hit the turn button.

I thought the opponent's dudes were my dudes. I hadn't actually given my dudes any orders. I eventually lost that game.

--Scythe--
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    It's kind of lame how they charge $20 (somewhat pricey for a niche game from an unknown developer that looks like it could have been made in flash) for two copies. If it was $10 for a single copy I would have probably already bought it.
  • BobTheJanitorBobTheJanitor Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24228Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1849104:date=May 29 2011, 03:28 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ May 29 2011, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's kind of lame how they charge $20 (somewhat pricey for a niche game from an unknown developer that looks like it could have been made in flash) for two copies. If it was $10 for a single copy I would have probably already bought it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I kind of agree with this. 20 bucks is high for this type of indie game, but 10 bucks is the sweet spot. When they say 'buy one get one free' what they really mean is that they only sell two-packs. It's actually kind of clever marketing, and will also ensure that they have a good player base to keep the game going for a while. I still found it to be just the slightest bit too much of a shifty marketing tactic to be palatable though.

That said, I held out for all of 10 hours after it went up on steam. Feel free to challenge me any time, I'm playing as BobTheJanitor, of course.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    It didn't show in the youtube video but I assume there is a timelimit for how long you may take to move and simulate moves every round? I could personally sit forever and just make things worse for myself every time I simulate my enemy's movement.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    This game is awesome. I love being able to just casually set up my strat, send it in, and come back like an hour later to put in my next turn. :)

It's great.

I also think the $20 for 2 as the only option is really smart from their perspective because this game can only succeed if tons of people are playing. They probably are getting more people playing doing it this way than if each person individually has to buy... which in turn spreads the word faster and gets more people buying and playing which increases their revenue.

I also didn't mind paying 20$ because I have seen indies game sold at this price that don't include a second copy, and by getting the second copy it ensures that I will be able to play this with at least one of my friends, regardless of how frugal they are.

We could also use this thread to gift Frozen Synapse to people, if anyone hasn't already given theirs away (or have plans to)
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1849123:date=May 29 2011, 04:15 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ May 29 2011, 04:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It didn't show in the youtube video but I assume there is a timelimit for how long you may take to move and simulate moves every round? I could personally sit forever and just make things worse for myself every time I simulate my enemy's movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The time limit is 2 weeks. This is not the normal kind of fast paced game. It's more like playing chess via email.

Personally I'm loving it.
    edited May 2011
    If anyone cares to challenge me, I'm on the Texas 2 server and my username is rek55

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l66Ah1Kn6IE"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l66Ah1Kn6IE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONTKbtvYwZ8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONTKbtvYwZ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    Why are there "servers" in this game? For that matter, how do they work? I see no reason for splitting the playerbase geographically, latency is a total non-issue with this game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1849140:date=May 29 2011, 09:00 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ May 29 2011, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are there "servers" in this game? For that matter, how do they work? I see no reason for splitting the playerbase geographically, latency is a total non-issue with this game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    latency is a non-issue, but server load is apparently a severe issue. I think they are actually running the simulations on the server rather than just depending on both clients to have a deterministic answer. (If I was doing it, I would only run the sim on the server if the two clients disagreed on the outcome... though maybe this isn't possible given the very non-realtime aspect of the game).

They've temporarily had to open a bunch of shards to deal with the unexpected number of users. Eventually they will be putting in a better solution (every game and your stats should be accessible from any server)... for now it's just a stopgap.
  • BobTheJanitorBobTheJanitor Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24228Members, NS1 Playtester
    Yeah the multiple servers are mostly the result of this going out on Steam on a Friday, and their sales rocketing off the chart, and them scrambling to put measures in place until they can get a permanent solution. I assume that having to do this over a weekend is probably making it harder. I've been playing on the Texas 3 server, anyone else there is welcome to hit me up for a game any time. If you can figure out the system for finding specific players, that is. I can't. But apparently there's a way to challenge someone while they are offline, allowing you to make all your moves and have the game ready whenever they come around to do their half. Neat!
    BTJ, I sent you a game.

Here's another game with a random:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XoO22SwEMhw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XoO22SwEMhw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

I don't quite trust this game with my google login, so I just export to a file and then upload.

--Scythe--
    Why'd you call that game "win?" The enemy killed three of your four dudes.
    <!--quoteo(post=1849163:date=May 30 2011, 11:09 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ May 30 2011, 11:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why'd you call that game "win?" The enemy killed three of your four dudes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What? I didn't lose a single dude. You sir need to lay off the crazy.

--Scythe--
    You're the red guy. I clearly see ur mans get killed. DON'T THINK YOU CAN HIDE YOUR FAILURE!
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited May 2011
    Well, I'm happy to show my failure. My first game:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qcBXi66tcWw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qcBXi66tcWw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Going over it;

- Was happy to get first blood. Immensely satisfying getting into your opponent's head and calling it right

- Gutted when the control points came up! 3/5 were in his favour

- In the simulation, their sniper never killed my rocket launcher :`(

- Stupid not seeing the line of sight from their sniper to my east-side gunner, whom I name B.I.G., may he rest in peace

- Surprised my sniper did nothing at the end of the game: the rifleman took him out with the 7th bullet with no return fire. Suppose I should have run a simulation.

We live and learn!

I'm undecided on whether I prefer light or dark gamemodes (light = you know where your opponents are, dark = you need line of sight). I think dark has more potential. The game above was dark.
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1849195:date=May 30 2011, 09:19 AM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ May 30 2011, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849195"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Surprised my sniper did nothing at the end of the game: the rifleman took him out with the 7th bullet with no return fire. Suppose I should have run a simulation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Always sim! Always always. And then give the opposing troops different orders and sim again. Then give them nonsensical orders and sim again. Plan for every contingency! And yeah, I'm of the opinion that snipers are underpowered. Although in your scenario there, it's hard to say. You were moving, and not aiming, but you did get behind cover. He was moving, but aiming, but had no cover. Really it should have just about evened out, and then the longer range, one would think, would give the sniper the advantage. Right now it takes an MG unit about as long to spray bullets until it gets a hit at long range as it takes a sniper to aim his single bullet. That's kind of lame and makes me question the usefulness of snipers.

Edit:
    <!--quoteo(post=1849149:date=May 30 2011, 02:02 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ May 30 2011, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BTJ, I sent you a game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can't find it. Are you sending it on Texas 3 server?
    No, I was able to add you to my friends list whilst connected to UK2, so I assumed you were on that server. Weird, it seems friends lists are global, but game invites are on a per-server basis.

--Scythe--
    Woo. I rock (apparently). Global rank 261, daily rank 2 (Texas 2 server)
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Account is Aldaris, on UK2
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    An interesting game. Losing is frustrating but winning is satisfying, which I guess you could say about almost anything. One thing that annoys me more than it should is that you can't view your full replay after winning a mission, you have to watch turn by turn. I don't want to have to record a youtube video just to watch my own full game play out once.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    It is quite the risky investment as stated earlier.
    If there were a demo to quell any doubt I would surely buy the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1849810:date=Jun 3 2011, 12:43 PM:name=BarerRudeROC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BarerRudeROC @ Jun 3 2011, 12:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is quite the risky investment as stated earlier.
    If there were a demo to quell any doubt I would surely buy the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Meh, I found it extremely fun and extremely worth it. Basically a $10 game, plus a $10 gift to a friend.
    My friend has an awful record (i think something like 3 - 15 right now), but he still finds it fun and has kept playing.
    Plus, it is being actively developed and will improve. They will be adding like 2v2 modes and I'm sure they will continue to add other fun stuff.
    If you like strategy games at all I really think you would enjoy this game.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    edited June 2011
    This might be my game of the year. If it's not my GotY, then it's pretty close. I love everything about it, except how popular it is, because their servers are all broken, but that will clear up eventually so that's fine and I'm glad they're getting money for their hard work.

I'm in the process of moving across the country so I'm not really playing this game much, but a little bit back before it came out I made a video, sort of like Total Biscuit, except I focused on the multiplayer. It might help if you're on the fence about buying the game:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fOTi0T0CEV4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fOTi0T0CEV4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    "Basically there's two teams of people, you and the badguy."

I call fallacy! Maybe YOU'RE the badguy? It's a cyberpunk setting, it's supposed to be morally ambigu-.. oh-wait-you're-green-and-he's-red-yeah-he's-totally-the-badguy-never-mind-carry-on.