Gas or Liquid based Flamethrowers?

Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
I just wondered if Flamers shoot out a burning liquid that will stick to walls and the floor and structures and
burn on its own for a short time or if its a stream of gas wich is igneted and more like a flame and not like .. well
burning liquid... the gas would ignite things like aliens so they are burnable? their skin burns on its own?
with liquid it would make sense that they take damage but the flames extinguish by themselves after a while... th liquid is burned.. right?

this would also be different in the way the flames behave when you turn or run around
f.E. liquid based would be harder to use towards the ceilling cause its gravity based and would fall back into your own face !
gas based would (i imagine) make a better spreading effect wich would make it easier to hit aliens... wich i wouldnt like
hm, so the gas would be more powerfull... except if you make it that the liquid burns on its own on the ground for ~3-5 sec. so you could "denie access" like spores, hm?

Comments

• NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    It's nanite based.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1844706:date=May 7 2011, 08:41 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ May 7 2011, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's nanite based.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    now WTF is that supposed to mean?
    youre kidding me right?
    why would you need a bottle for nanites ?
    and i hate it when nanites are the explanation to everything
    why is there lag? nanites hold you back!
    who can you teleport? nanites do that!
    why can you F**in change your moving direction in mid-air? nanine booser mid-air thrusters!
    thats stupid, i'm mad.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Gas. Liquid FTs are OP.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1844714:date=May 7 2011, 09:21 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ May 7 2011, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NANITES!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    T~T stop ###### with me...
    at least explain HOW your awesome nanites do that... and if they behave like gas or liquid... or how they behave different.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    We're not nanitologists. It's just how they work.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm sorry but the answer is nanites, and the reason it's nanites is because of nanites.

/nanites...I mean thread.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    I don't really understand why this has to be explained...
    We all understand that Flamethrowers exist in reality, so any modification/extrapolation of how they might exist in the future is immediately justified.

Use your imagination; it's more convincing than any explanation that can be offered to you by anyone else.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1844711:date=May 7 2011, 07:15 PM:name=Jason ######)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jason ###### @ May 7 2011, 07:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thats stupid, i'm mad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Nanites did that as well

<b>Pulling one out of ye olde imagination box:</b>
    Also Nanites are the counterpart to the Kharaa Bacteria, they fight against each other when the come in contact with each other, enhance them with some kind of sci-fy powered accelerant (stuff in flamer) and you give them the upper hand vs the Khaara.

Logical and all up there in sci-fy land :P
    the reason i asked is that i want to know how they will behave in the future...
    i hope the wont go through walls..........
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    Of course they won't go through walls. UWE knows thats a problem, and they are working on it.
    But pretty cool suggestion for a secondary attack for the flamethrower. A burning form of liquid that burns aliens alot when they step in it. And then the gas-mode to burn infestation effectively with.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1844748:date=May 7 2011, 10:12 PM:name=Jason ######)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jason ###### @ May 7 2011, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the reason i asked is that i want to know how they will behave in the future...
    i hope the wont go through walls..........<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whether it was gas or liquid doesn't matter on if it goes through walls. That's up to the game coding.

Also, nanites is the answer, just to clarify.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <i>Superheated</i> nanites.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OP has a very good point, i also thought of this.
    my contribution is that there's no STREAM of liquid but a fine spray (that mixes well with air), and if aliens go through the flame, fuel droplets stick to them.
    also, nanites make it so fuel only sticks to aliens and not surroundings :P
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    stooooop! this thread gets out of hand.

The answer is complicated, but we have a way to describe it in a easy way :)

Nanites.

That should resolve this thread :)
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, Charlie had or mentioned the idea of these nanites working in the background as the base of the marine technology. I really don't remember them being mentioned in many cases except being able to beat back infestation when power comes to an area -- which is not how it works anyway -- flamethrowers have that ability. The switch-ax apprently gets sharpened as well by nanites that eat away at the blade (if you want to get detailed).

I really don't think you need to think about or realize that nanites even play any part in this game. It's part of the lore that will never ever come up in actual gameplay. If one wasn't specifically told that the technology has something to do with nanites; no would would know the wiser -- so who really cares?

I try to ignore most nanite talk. As far as I am concerned, the Marines have a weapon that shoots fire -- like a traditional flame thrower. I don't try to justify anything. The only thing I care about is gameplay and the general feel.
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1844863:date=May 8 2011, 06:38 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ May 8 2011, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's part of the lore that will never ever come up in actual gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

someone should make a map involving a nanite factory. or a map in nanites perspective, like de_rats in cs! ns2_nanites.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1844863:date=May 8 2011, 08:38 AM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ May 8 2011, 08:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The switch-ax apprently gets sharpened as well by nanites that eat away at the blade (if you want to get detailed).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are already folding knives in existence which upon closing subject the blade to a notched area that keeps the blade somewhat sharp. How well this works I don't know since I've never owned one, but anyway the point is that this explanation doesn't seem too rash. Not as much as some other nanite based fantasy.