Multiple Commanders Hierachy

2»

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1843256:date=Apr 30 2011, 09:43 AM:name=CaCa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CaCa @ Apr 30 2011, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure but do any of the devs even look in there, ever? Hell, do they even look in here? It's nice to discuss and debate stuff with fellow NSers, but if it's going nowhere it all feels kinda pointless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This thread was not a question, though. You haven't asked for clarification. And you weren't, technically, inviting discussion. You were sharing your ideas, you were giving suggestions. There's a forum dedicated to that. Use it.

Why would you even presume that your ideas and suggestions are more worthy of being looked at than others'? The others who use the I&S forums. This issue is a minor thing, in the current scheme of things. It's not something they need to address, or have the time to address, right now.

But I mean, you could have simply stated, in your OP, "Multiple Commanders suck. Here's what's wrong with it..." and you would have invited discussion very similar to this thread as it is. People could choose to agree or disagree, or take some completely tangential view. You wouldn't have unilaterally assumed that multiple commanders do suck and that they must be fixed, possibly with your ideas. No doubt people would have agreed with you, and no doubt ideas would have cropped up to address the stated problem, from you and others. But then with such inevitabilities, maybe UW should just merge the I&S and General Discussion forums. So why don't they do that? Because it's a mess. Because they need to keep order.

Order. It makes the world go 'round.
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    I made a thread about this way back when the alpha was actually starting to become playable.

In an organized game I see the advantages.

In a pub it's just going to spell chaos. Personally I see no reason for two commanders. It's just going to lead to griefing wither intentionally or unintentionally. I had a few people jump in the second chair/hive on me before and completely screw up my strategy which was working wonderfully just because he wanted a crag somewhere where only he was attacking and ramboing.
  • CaCaCaCa Join Date: 2003-06-12 Member: 17319Members
    Harimau: I'm not sure if that overthought rant was directed at me, but if it was, lemme be clear that I <i>agree</i> that the I&S forums "need more love", as you said, and so it got me wondering "if it's all worth it", to put it dramatically. That's all.

<!--quoteo(post=1843303:date=Apr 30 2011, 02:42 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Apr 30 2011, 02:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He's challenging a system. That's what beta testing is about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, thanks for the lesson, professor...
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1843094:date=Apr 29 2011, 04:00 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Apr 29 2011, 04:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I honestly don't understand why UWE is pushing for more than one commander. It's so much work, adds some much needless complexity, and may even damage teamplay aspects depending on how it's implemented. On top of all of that, it may make commanding even more dull.

When this idea was first released I made a <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102260&st=240&start=243" target="_blank">few</a> <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=107005&view=findpost&p=1718808" target="_blank">posts</a> about why I thought the RTS / Commanding side in NS1 was lacking and why adding another commander will not improve anything. My biggest problem with 2 comms is that it's taking the single comm, which is no where near as engaging as an actual RTS, and splitting the duties between two people. So far, in NS2, we've only seen a <i>reduction</i> in the role the commander plays (removed weapon/tech handouts, added marine building back in thereby making build bots no longer a necessity). Why split this role when it's already been reduced?

I don't see anything in NS2 that would make even an average RTS gamer feel overwhelmed. Unless there is some huge and game changing element to the RTS side we have yet to learn about I'm shocked UWE is wasting resources on such a meaningless feature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1843349:date=Apr 30 2011, 07:41 AM:name=CaCa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CaCa @ Apr 30 2011, 07:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Harimau: I'm not sure if that overthought rant was directed at me, but if it was, lemme be clear that I <i>agree</i> that the I&S forums "need more love", as you said, and so it got me wondering "if it's all worth it", to put it dramatically. That's all.

Yeah, thanks for the lesson, professor...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No need to be an ass.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    There is nothing that can be overthought unless it leads to time wasting or hesitation. In this case it was neither. Time wasting on my part, perhaps, but time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1843429:date=Apr 30 2011, 09:00 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Apr 30 2011, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No need to be an ass.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Choo! Choo!