New Marine weapon : bolt action rifle, Onos rifle

CaptainSnakeCaptainSnake Join Date: 2010-06-19 Member: 72105Members
edited April 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi I propose adding a bolt action rifle NS2.

Here are my 3 types of bolt action rifles I believe NS2 can benefit from:

1. Bolt-action anti-material rifle.
- A new tier 2 weapon that costs 25PR or same as the shottie.
- It does 90 - 140 damage or 15% health whichever is more. This is pretty much if half of the shotties pellets hit and a little bit more damage.
- The bullet can go through medium sized walls.

Gameplay:
- When the marine shoots. He gets a small push the opposite way he is amplify the power of the bolt action rifle.
- The bolt action's rifle has a bayonet which increases melee damage significantly.
- When reloading there will be a small gears of wars like meter that will pop up. If the player is able to push r at the right time the reload animation will speed up 100%

Model:
It would look like a futuristic version of the Kar98k.

Animation:
Have ammo-
The marine will pull the trigger to fire the gun then quickly move his hand to move the bolt and reload his rifle.
Last bullet-
The marine will fire the gun then a small light will flash red on his gun somewhere.
No ammo-
The marine will be able to move the bolt forward to have a free 'blank' shot.

2. Bolt-action explosive shooting gun
- Similar to the grenade launcher this gun is more of a precise landing explosive.
- Very similar to the under rifle grenade launcher.
- This can be an upgraded version of the 1. idea

Gameplay:
This is very similar to the grenade launcher, perhaps an earlier model of it. It shoots 1 grenade that explodes on contact with a reloadable magazines of 5 grenade-rifle-bullets.
Damage is 75% of the grenade on the area where shot.

Model:
It would look like a china-lake grenade launcher from cod blackops. Or a really beefed up and extended version of the M203 grenade launcher attachment.

Animation:
A bolt action rifle that has a slightly bigger barrel that fires explosive, blue tipped, bullets. The marine will move the bolt with extra caution like the rifle is dangerous (which it is xD)

3. Onos Gun
- Bolt action rifle specifically for countering Onos's and does decent damage to Fades if you can hit them.
- An alternative to the first idea

Gameplay:
Extra damage against Onos
Slightly pushes anything it hits.
- High recoil and less time between shots.
- Big bullets and less ammo.

Model: Make it look like a M95 except more futuristic and the barrel's sharpnose point is changed from horizontal to vertical.

Animation: The bolt is on the right side of the rife and ony requires pushing back and forth. Doing so unloads a huge round that will drop nearby and stay for at least 1 minute. Similar to the rifle that Jim Raynor has in Starcraft 2 (use as example =D)

Comments

• Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    edited April 2011
    sounds interessting
    i like the bold action granade launcher because the curent additional rifle launcher thing sucks
    and i totally love to imagine the animation for it..
    the marine looks down for a short moment to make sure he grabs the ######(lol, okay i cant say that word? i thought its what the bold thing is called) correctly
    pulls it back really quick but also really carefull and so on :D

and i think it should look sniper like but w/o a scope
    yeah.. and bayonet attached to have a chance against skulks..
    but its hard to hit skulks with it..
    and the granade like ammo does a lot damage to structures but nearly nothing to animals
  • craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
    I don't like this idea.

I think it's just adding in too much complexity that will get in the way of playing the game. Never underestimate the power of simplicity. Of course I might be wrong, so keep the idea in mind and if you can build a mod (once version 1.0 is ready) to test out different sorts of weapon ideas and see how they play in real games and how other people respond.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    The heavy armor of the onos makes it essentially a tank or an elephant/rhino. Therefore an anti-tank weapon (rocket launcher), or bolt action or double-barrel elephant gun would be appropriate.
  • danshyudanshyu Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2105Members
    We already have an anti-ono weapon coming up, the dual gatling gun. There's no need for another weapon with exact same purpose.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1841274:date=Apr 17 2011, 03:37 AM:name=CaptainSnake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CaptainSnake @ Apr 17 2011, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Model:
    It would look like a futuristic version of the Kar98k.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My favorite bolt action :D

I'm actually not too much against this idea, though like you said it should also have some handicapping added to it.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    just because a rifle is bolt action, doesnt make it anymore powerful than a semi auto. bolt action rifles dont fit close quarter combat scenarios, ns is close quarter combat. how many special ops teams do you see clearing buildings with bolt action rifles?
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1842090:date=Apr 23 2011, 04:06 AM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Apr 23 2011, 04:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just because a rifle is bolt action, doesnt make it anymore powerful than a semi auto. bolt action rifles dont fit close quarter combat scenarios, ns is close quarter combat. how many special ops teams do you see clearing buildings with bolt action rifles?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He's not saying that. in terms of balance it would make sense to have the bolt action of a more powerful caliber than the auto. If we were to have a stronger weapon than the machinegun, it would need some other handicap such as speed. Because shotguns can be rifled and shoot slugs doesn't mean having a rifle isn't a good idea.

I agree with the second half though, and doubt this would be implemented into the game anyway.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    then why is he suggesting the extra powerful weapon must be a bolt action rifle? why not a single shot, reloadable, recoiless rifle? despite single shot weapons not really fitting the style of combat, bolt action rifles seem a bit out dated for the time period the game is set